help with buzz

Derockster

help with buzz
« on: 17 Feb 2007, 04:43 am »
Hi guys,I'm getting an annoying buzz in my system.I'm using 47 labs cable from my TT to my phono stage which is unsheilded.I do believe that that's where the buzz is coming from.My question is there anything I can do short of changing the cable to eliminate this buzz?? :( :cry:

Psychicanimal

Re: help with buzz
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2007, 01:53 pm »
Drink lots of water & get plenty of fresh air.  It will go away...   :lol:

Derockster

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:17 pm »
Thanks.That was very helpful. :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:48 pm »
Get shielded cables, shield your existing cables or move them away from the source of the noise.

W

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2007, 03:19 pm »
Could you tell us what you have done so far to determine the source of this buzz?  Phono stages have a great deal of gain and amplify whatever they are fed.  If you don't have a ground cable from the TT (actually the tonearm) to the phono stage, try adding one.

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2007, 04:26 pm »
If you are sure its the cables, try wrapping some aluminum foil around them. If you still have the buzz, try grounding the foil to your preamp/phonostage/integrated. Not sure if it will work as I've never tried it but essentially you are creating a shield around the cables and attempting to drain EMF/RFI away from your cables.

The source of the buzz is likely a transformer in a power supply or the motor in your TT. An unshielded power cord can sometimes put off enough energy to cause the buzz too. Moving your cables and gear around to give a good distance from your cables might also help. Also, make sure that any small signal cables that must be located near a power cord don't run parallel to them if you can help it (try to keep an inch or two separation if not more). If they must cross each other, try to hold them to make it a perpendicular intersection.

Hope that helps. Phonostage noise can be really frustrating to eliminate.