New Product Line of Capacitors

Kevin Haskins

New Product Line of Capacitors
« on: 17 Feb 2007, 03:34 am »
Its not like I needed more capacitors but hey... I couldn't help myself.   

We are now stocking the entire lineup of Erse Pulse-X 250V capacitors.    I've found these to be an incredibly good part even when not considering the cost.   Factor in the cost and the fact that they are made in the good ole USA and they are a slam dunk.

I'll be stocking the 630V parts within the next six months & a wide range of inductors.   

I don't yet have all the parts on the web site but I've started on the web developement.   I'll finish it off tomorrow or Monday.

http://www.diycable.com/main/default.php?cPath=35_30

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: New Product Line of Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2007, 03:01 pm »
Do you have any engineering specification sheets on your capacitor lines?

I would need this for design analysis.  Can't plug it into the math formulas without being able to model the part as closely as possible.

Perhaps you can supply some links for this info?

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2007, 03:57 pm »
Frank - Here's the Erse Pulse X page, but it doesn't appear to have the specs you're looking for: http://www.erse.cc/caps/mpt/mpt.asp

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2007, 05:01 pm »
Do you have any engineering specification sheets on your capacitor lines?

I would need this for design analysis.  Can't plug it into the math formulas without being able to model the part as closely as possible.

Perhaps you can supply some links for this info?

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

What parameters do you need Frank?  I'm stocking these primarily for my own use in crossover networks and I never need anything more than the capacitance to model them in a given network.    If your looking for a good LCR specifications for something like SPICE modeling I cannot help you.

For Erse they have a good staff of Engineers on hand and if you need specific parameters that they don't have listed on their web site just give them a call.  I'd suspect things like L are going to depend as much on the circuit board layout as they are on the capacitor (length of the part and length of leads & traces are going to determine it).   The R is of course going to be frequency dependent so a curve rather than a number.  I don't do SPICE modeling so  I'm afraid I'm not much help. 

Give Erse a call.  If they don't have the information you want they can probably get it.   I'm mainly stocking these for my own use and for DIYers to buy.   You can buy them direct from Erse if your up to buying the standard package (100 units for most values). 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2007, 07:34 pm »
Ok... web development done for now.

I'll be adding the 630V parts when they are in stock.   These are all metalized polypropylene designs.    Coming later this year are some Teflon & Film Foil  products.    After that I'm calling it quits on adding more capacitors.  ;-)

I have plans to stock some Erse inductors also.   That will be later this year when I get a better handle on what values I need for speaker kits.   

guest1632

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2007, 08:22 am »

We are now stocking the entire lineup of Erse Pulse-X 250V capacitors.    I've found these to be an incredibly good part even when not considering the cost.   Factor in the cost and the fact that they are made in the good ole USA and they are a slam dunk.

I'll be stocking the 630V parts within the next six months & a wide range of inductors.   

I don't yet have all the parts on the web site but I've started on the web developement.   I'll finish it off tomorrow or Monday.

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for a stupid question. I should know the answer to this. All the values are UF after the number. Is that in old school, MMF or Picafarads?

Ray

crossroadazn

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2007, 01:38 pm »
I just order 8 of 2uF for the Mag. 10/QR XOs but you don't carry the inductors ( too bad ) because I have to order 2 Alpha-core from another place. These caps prices are hard to beat for 3% of tolerance and hope they'll sound as good as their prices  :thumb:.

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2007, 03:51 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for a stupid question. I should know the answer to this. All the values are UF after the number. Is that in old school, MMF or Picafarads?

Ray

UF stands for micro farads.  Probably equal to MMF, although I don't remember seeing that as an abreviation for micro farads before.

Randy

guest1632

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2007, 10:35 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Ray

UF stands for micro farads.  Probably equal to MMF, although I don't remember seeing that as an abreviation for micro farads before.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Ok, this part I can answer then. UF is equal to MF/Microfarad. MMF=Picofarad or Micromicrofarad.   

Ray

guest1632

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2007, 11:52 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Two things: sorry can't see the pics. Are these caps with wires on both ends or a wire out each end. So how big are these suckers? inches please? Thinking about the 5.1UF cap.

Ray

guest1632

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm »

Oh and the tother question: Can these be used on power supplies and are they polarized?

Ray

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2007, 05:00 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Ray

No problem.....   uF =  micro Farad.    Its pretty much the standard unit of measurement for crossover caps used for audio circuits.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2007, 05:01 pm »
I just order 8 of 2uF for the Mag. 10/QR XOs but you don't carry the inductors ( too bad ) because I have to order 2 Alpha-core from another place. These caps prices are hard to beat for 3% of tolerance and hope they'll sound as good as their prices  :thumb:.

They are tighter than 3% I'd say from my early measurements.   They are tighter tolerance than my cheap LCR meeter can read.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2007, 05:06 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Two things: sorry can't see the pics. Are these caps with wires on both ends or a wire out each end. So how big are these suckers? inches please? Thinking about the 5.1UF cap.

Ray

For a 5.1uF 250V part it would be 1.18" long, 0.70" in diameter and the leads are 1.37" long.   These are all axial capacitors (wires on both ends) which are fairly standard in crossover type capacitors.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2007, 05:12 pm »

Oh and the tother question: Can these be used on power supplies and are they polarized?

Ray

There is nothing magical about a power supply application other than you need to observe voltage ratings.   These are metalized polypropylene capacitors which for the most part are considered non-polarized designs.    The only people who mark polarization on metalized polypropylene capacitors are those who use it for marketing or customers who demand it.    One side of the capacitor hooks up to the outside foil & the other on the inside foil.   The difference is that there is a VERY minute difference in the capacitance one direction from the other.    It takes specialized equipment to measure the difference and its completely inaudible in crossover networks.   The difference is swamped by the capacitance of wires, inductors & other parts and its way, way under the tolerance level of the capacitors.