The Illusionist

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
The Illusionist
« on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:27 pm »
What did you think of this movie?

I thought it was well written, well acted, and quite engaging.

While not a difficult movie to follow or figure out like "The Usual Suspects", it calls and lures you into it - putting you into the movie vs. on the outside watching it.

I was especially impressed by Edward Norton's acting.  This might be one of his best jobs to date.

:thumb: :thumb:

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: The Illusionist
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:32 pm »
I just rented it the other night. I thought it was quite good as well. Ed Norton did a great job. He played the character very well. I think the whole movie was cast very well. I've spoken to a few friends who enjoyed it very much as well. Two thumbs up from me.  :thumb:  :thumb:

I also want to see " The Prestige", which curiously came out at roughly the same time, and is based around an illusionist as well.

Cheers

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:32 pm »
I found it entertaining but fairly predictable.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:36 pm »
I just rented it the other night. I thought it was quite good as well. Ed Norton did a great job. He played the character very well. I think the whole movie was cast very well. I've spoken to a few friends who enjoyed it very much as well. Two thumbs up from me.  :thumb:  :thumb:

I also want to see " The Prestige", which curiously came out at roughly the same time, and is based around an illusionist.

Cheers

"The Prestige" is coming out next Tuesday (2/20/07).

I am looking forward to seeing it and will definitely buy it.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:44 pm »
I found it entertaining but fairly predictable.

I didn't find it to be predictable, I found that I was trying to speculate a lot towards the outcome a whole lot. It didn't have that mind boggling twist at the end, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Like the Police Commissioner, I couldn't ever figure out what he was going to do next.

Cheers

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:57 pm »
I much preferred it to The Prestige.  Just too much wackiness in The Prestige, enough so that it seemed too contrived in comparison to The Illusionist.  The Illusionist was simple and elegant in comparison.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2007, 12:37 am »
I saw the Prestige on the airplane home from HI.  I have the Illusionist here right now to watch tonight.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2007, 12:39 am »
The Illusionist may seem too tame after watching the Prestige.  I dunno, I watched it the other way around, so I had the opposite reaction to The Prestige.  Let us know what you make of it.

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2007, 01:02 am »
In comes Jessica Biel...
The movie instantly just got better for me... :flame:

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:22 am »
Thumbs up from me....I really enjoyed this one. :thumb:

Whitese

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:48 am »
I loved the movie...very engaging...One of the few this year I may buy when available.

ellogan

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2007, 05:08 am »
I bought this movie knowing nothing about it. I viewed this past weekend and found it very enjoyable and immersing. I suspected the ending a bit, but it was still a bit surprising. Ed Norton was really good on this one. Very Recommended.

mjosef

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2007, 02:56 am »
Just just finished watching this, excellent film, certainly one of the best, if not the best movie I have seen this year( its a young year, oink oink). Great story, excellent acting, very period tinted cinematography. Darn good ending too, I felt I was inside the inspector mind, seeing in real time what he saw as he slowly realized the mastery of the Illusionist. I didn't see the ruse until he, the inspector, saw it. Outstanding acting by Paul and Edward.
And the phrase that stuck with me:
" Are you totally corrupt?" and the response, " No, I am not totally corrupt, otherwise you would be in jail..."  :lol: :lol:
 :thumb: :thumb: