50% discount Active XO/EQ system for OB or boxed speakers and subs

Mark in NL

John, what is the advantage of the digital loop you speak of ?

Mark

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Surfed the net for awhile looking for a sound card (not totally knowing what all I need), and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Platinum/dp/tech-data/B000AYKP6U/ref=de_a_smtd/105-1812327-1957227

I've not found good pictures/discriptions of the outputs. They'll say 5.1 or 7.1 output, but in the case of some of them, there isn't enough physical jacks on the back to have 6 or 8 ouputs. Assumed it's optical, but they aren'y very specific....
John you mentioned ASIO, this one is ASIO 2.0.....?

Yea, all boxed up in a nice package with a bow would be nice.
Anyone found good links to cards? (with pics)

Bob

JohninCR

Mark

It's actually a disadvantage that you have to do it.  For internally generated sound (computer sounds,
playing music from your harddrive, etc), your computer needs to have a device identified for output.
In my case it's the spdif out on my 410 card.  The Allocator program needs a source of input.  I set
my input as the spdif in on my 410 card, so I loop the output from the computer back into the digital
input to go to Allocator.  It makes multiple copies, does its thing to each, and I route them to the
analog outs on the 410.  Since it stays digital using the same clock all the way to the DAC's in front of
the analog outs in the 410, the routing is of no consequence.

At first I was sending the original signal to the digital out of my old on-board soundcard, and connecting that
to the digital in on my 410, but my old Delta card recently crapped out on me, so I had to do the loop.  The
old way was actually better for me, because it gave me another set of outputs.

JohninCR

Surfed the net for awhile looking for a sound card (not totally knowing what all I need), and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Platinum/dp/tech-data/B000AYKP6U/ref=de_a_smtd/105-1812327-1957227

I've not found good pictures/discriptions of the outputs. They'll say 5.1 or 7.1 output, but in the case of some of them, there isn't enough physical jacks on the back to have 6 or 8 ouputs. Assumed it's optical, but they aren'y very specific....
John you mentioned ASIO, this one is ASIO 2.0.....?

Yea, all boxed up in a nice package with a bow would be nice.
Anyone found good links to cards? (with pics)

Bob

I wouldn't try a Sound Blaster card, because Jan specifically mentioned that they are finicky about allowing Allocator to take control of them.  That was the problem with my old Delta Dio card.  It was hard wired to not relinquish total control of the outputs.  My Revolution 7.1 card works, but only with analog input, so I wouldn't recommend that route due to the multiple digital/analog conversions.  The guys using the system are typically using more expensive pro cards than my Firewire 410.

For those who want to try it before investing in a card, just give it a go with your current soundcard.  If it doesn't use ASIO drivers, then use ASIO4ALL as the driver, and you should be able to get at least a pair of outputs going to get a feel for how it works....notch out a room mode, add a little bass boost to an OB driver, tame the hotspot on the B200, or integrate a sub.  That's what I did, so I already knew that it really did work, and when my Firewire 410 arrived it was like Christmas in July and I was the kid with the new toy.  I stayed up most of the night playing music and doing XO's.  Now I don't make changes often except to dial in new speakers, or to tone down the bass on tracks that sound bass heavy to me.

Mark in NL

Mark

It's actually a disadvantage that you have to do it.  For internally generated sound (computer sounds,
playing music from your harddrive, etc), your computer needs to have a device identified for output.
In my case it's the spdif out on my 410 card.  The Allocator program needs a source of input.  I set
my input as the spdif in on my 410 card, so I loop the output from the computer back into the digital
input to go to Allocator.  It makes multiple copies, does its thing to each, and I route them to the
analog outs on the 410.  Since it stays digital using the same clock all the way to the DAC's in front of
the analog outs in the 410, the routing is of no consequence.

At first I was sending the original signal to the digital out of my old on-board soundcard, and connecting that
to the digital in on my 410, but my old Delta card recently crapped out on me, so I had to do the loop.  The
old way was actually better for me, because it gave me another set of outputs.

If i understand you correct, the digital loop loses you one dig. input and one dig. output on your card.....and it looks like there is no way around that.

Actually the fact that the whole thing now runs on one and the same clock can be an advantage over the two seperate clocks that you had before...(jitter?)
I have read some things about digital stuff in cd players, but actually don't really know what's going on.

I'm just looking to get the best sound out of it, regardless the technology inside.
I'll try and read up on the subject. Do you have any recommendations?

Greetings from rainy Holland,
Mark

JohninCR

If i understand you correct, the digital loop loses you one dig. input and one dig. output on your card.....and it looks like there is no way around that.

I got all the outs I need with that setup.  I'm no computer wiz, so there is probably a way around it, but I don't have the patience or inclination to spend time on it.  The potential combination of settings is daunting in the control panel of the soundcard alone, because it is designed for mixing and recording music.  Then with each combination you need to reset the soundcard for the setting to be stored, which means resetting your amp and Allocator too.  No  thank you.  I'll happily share settings that I know work, but I'll leave it to someone else to figure out a better way.