My UCD400-2 experience

lanierb

My UCD400-2 experience
« on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:04 pm »
I just finished building Kevin's UCD400-2 kit and wanted to share my experiences.  I can't say enough about how happy I am with it!  My electronics experience is limited to some basic stuff when I was a kid, so I'm basically a total newbie.  Regardless, the kit could not have been easier to build.  I honestly don't think it took me more than 3-4 hours total (in 3 separate sessions).  The instructions were very clear and, now that I'm done, I think the internals are really beautiful!  The kit is very well designed so it's easy to make everything neat and clean and pretty.

Even more important is that the sound is awesome!  I'm really pleased.  I have it hooked up to some Dynaudio S3.4 speakers right now (direct from a squeezebox SB3) and I honestly think it's the best sounding amp I have ever owned.  I was planning on modding the kit to be full dual mono eventually, but at this point I'm so happy with how it sounds that I don't see the need.  If there are any newbies out there with questions about the kit I'd be happy to take a shot at answering them.

Lanier

Kit Details: AD opamp option with dedicated supply mod and the UCD HG power supply.

Kevin Haskins

• http://www.diycable.com
Re: My UCD400-2 experience
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2007, 12:55 am »
I just finished building Kevin's UCD400-2 kit and wanted to share my experiences.  I can't say enough about how happy I am with it!  My electronics experience is limited to some basic stuff when I was a kid, so I'm basically a total newbie.  Regardless, the kit could not have been easier to build.  I honestly don't think it took me more than 3-4 hours total (in 3 separate sessions).  The instructions were very clear and, now that I'm done, I think the internals are really beautiful!  The kit is very well designed so it's easy to make everything neat and clean and pretty.

Even more important is that the sound is awesome!  I'm really pleased.  I have it hooked up to some Dynaudio S3.4 speakers right now (direct from a squeezebox SB3) and I honestly think it's the best sounding amp I have ever owned.  I was planning on modding the kit to be full dual mono eventually, but at this point I'm so happy with how it sounds that I don't see the need.  If there are any newbies out there with questions about the kit I'd be happy to take a shot at answering them.

Lanier

Kit Details: AD opamp option with dedicated supply mod and the UCD HG power supply.

Thanks for posting... it brings me a lot of pleasure to have people appreciate the work we have put into the design.    Its a neverending process but the amplifier platform is almost to that golden point where there is nothing left to change for the next production run.   

Next up is the monoblocks, an integrated version and then some active loudspeaker designs utilizing the amplifier platform.    Lots of fun development time coming up this year.  :-)

Enjoy your amp and let me know if the adaptor cables bring any improvement.