if you were to buy monitors????

Marbles

Re: if you were to buy monitors????
« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb 2007, 05:07 pm »
:lol: This whole thread cracks me up! 2big you asked one question and got 20 different answers. Truth time.  Audition as many as you possibly can. Make up your own mind. 

If you were to ask me? I suggest, of course, the 626's with the FST tweets. I'm not 100% sure how far $2000 will go, but I think you would be overwhelmingly happy... Err at least I would.  :lol:

If you go this route, there is a pair for around $550 used that was improved by Danny Richie...I heard this pair in my system compared directly to my pair of stock 626's and the modded pair was better.  They have no warranty through VMPS, hence the low price..well the lack of warranty and a scratch.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2007, 05:30 am »
Pat....Did you come to a decision on the monitors ?

vonwaffen

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:54 am »
Hello 2bigears,

I think Bob from SP Technology is having a closeout sale on his black satin finish Timepiece 2.1 monitors. You can find out more about his products right here on AC which is always helpful. Moreover, I realize they're probably at the upper limit of what you'd like to spend, but I've been very happy with my pair. I just did a review about them on AC as well.
      Have a nice weekend and good luck with your search,
      Paul

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #23 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:34 am »
I'd emphatically second what vonwaffen said, if you really are looking for monitors, i.e., something accurate and revealing, not smoothing and flattering, and have a fair amount of power to drive them.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:50 am »
1....."in the market for monitors,budget is 2k tops"

2......"this will be for a second system,i was going to sell the little VAC,but i am thinkin' hard that on that one.that amp shines.i bought the Audion SET 845 thinking SET will rule,but i am not sure yet on that one????"

3....."So you need a speaker's that are easy to drive...."

All from page one.....summary....2k - SET amp - Hi-Eff. speakers.... :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #25 on: 3 Mar 2007, 07:57 am »

Oops! You're right Chris, I'd forgotten about the easy to drive aspect, although it seems to me it wasn't actually spelled out. Since it's been 16 days since Pat's last post on this thread, maybe he's found something anyway.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #26 on: 3 Mar 2007, 08:13 am »

Oops! You're right Chris, I'd forgotten about the easy to drive aspect, although it seems to me it wasn't actually spelled out. Since it's been 16 days since Pat's last post on this thread, maybe he's found something anyway.
Could be Russell...his last posting was a search for 845 tubes...so...maybe...don't know... :dunno:

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #27 on: 3 Mar 2007, 02:55 pm »
Phil Jones legendary AAD 2001 monitors. Stunning is putting it mildly. Even on my casual visits to the local shops to chew the fat & to see what's new & exciting I always audition different speakers. In my book nothing even comes close to what the AAD's deliver .

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #28 on: 3 Mar 2007, 03:49 pm »
I urge you to consider the SLS S8R.  It has handily won every shoot out we have held for years and provides hours of stress free listening.  It is shown in all the control room pictures we have installed on our website and is available with veneer and grills (this is the way we have installed them in several top recording stars home systems.)  Quincy Jones has endorsed these speakers if that tells you anything, and top recording and mastering engineers hold them in high regard.  They are well within your budget (we will make special pricing for any Audio Circle inquiries.....you will NOT be wasting your time.

Allen Rumbaugh
President
SRL Audio Video

mtodde

« Reply #29 on: 3 Mar 2007, 03:55 pm »
For new I'd give serious consideration to the Paradigm Signature S2 and for used you could pick up a pair of S4s...I've been very happy with mine.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #30 on: 6 Mar 2007, 08:14 pm »
I have not heard these speakers yet but some say that they are some of the best you can buy.... http://www.lipinskisound.com

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 6 Mar 2007, 08:47 pm »
hi all,lot of real good stuff here.i am still in the hunt.will be selling the Audion 845 Elite and the VAC will remain as the amp in main system.may sell the Zu Defintions also,head in a whole new direction????

sabes

« Reply #32 on: 6 Mar 2007, 08:52 pm »
i feel morally obligated to suggest that you check out tyler acoustics linbrook signature monitors. you can get them used in your price range and they are terrific speakers - top quality components and cabinetry, sold by a guy that couldn't be more helpful and friendly - ty lashbrook. easy to drive, big, rich sound, excellent detail and soundstage.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #33 on: 7 Mar 2007, 07:36 pm »
You should not overlook Reimer Speakers' McCullough GS. They come in within
your budget and offer 94db sensitivity and 36Hz to 26kHz response.

The finish on the pair in the picture is Kevazinga veneer.
Scotty

Oh yeah.  :thumb:
This in one gem not to be overlooked!!!

And I also wanna point out the superb sounding
Super Clef! http://www.speakerart.com/

Imperial
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2007, 08:37 pm by Imperial »

Sonny

« Reply #34 on: 7 Mar 2007, 07:39 pm »
Don't know about you guys...but I like DIY stuff, just picked up the solist from Toparound here, initial view is that they are nice, very nice...and affordable...
my 2 cents.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 7 Mar 2007, 07:56 pm »
If these are as good as people claim they are, than this is a tremendous deal.

I'm sort of tempted but won't be lured into buying something I don't need. 8)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #36 on: 7 Mar 2007, 09:15 pm »
At that sort of price point I have yet to read a really negative word about these, for less than $400:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

The designer used to be with M&K who were a very well respected monitor maker - the first to earn the THX designation, I think.

They closed a month ago:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37667.0

Here's a brief discussion on the Ascend forum:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2445&page=1&pp=10

ooheadsoo

« Reply #37 on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:32 am »
At that sort of price point I have yet to read a really negative word about these, for less than $400:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

The designer used to be with M&K who were a very well respected monitor maker - the first to earn the THX designation, I think.

They closed a month ago:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37667.0

Here's a brief discussion on the Ascend forum:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2445&page=1&pp=10

IIRC, Dennis Murphy took a look at the cbm170 and said that he couldn't do better with that driver combo.  I don't know how he felt about the combination itself, though.

2bigears

« Reply #38 on: 8 Mar 2007, 02:25 am »
don't get much now for 4 hundred bucks.sounds like the 170  was a good buy. :D :) :D

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 8 Mar 2007, 08:04 am »
IIRC, Dennis Murphy took a look at the cbm170 and said that he couldn't do better with that driver combo.  I don't know how he felt about the combination itself, though.

The combination itself might have improved, depending on when Dennis Murphy made that comment.

It seems that some fundamental improvements were made in Jan 06 with the so-called "Signature Edition" in which both the tweeter and the woofer were improved, the tweeter significantly.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1584