Introductions!

JohnR

Introductions!
« on: 16 Jul 2003, 01:07 pm »
Hiya, if you're new to the Aussie Pie, please post an introduction in this thread :-)

[Edit: I edited my intro to be at least half serious ;-) Also made into a Sticky Post.]

I'll start. I'm JohnR, your friendly "facilitator" (*ack*) -- recently returned to Oz from several years in the US (which is why I ask dumb questions about where to get stuff sometimes). While there I got a huge infatuation with vintage tube gear, and bought loads of it on EBay. Still got a few pieces, but sold most before returning. This also got me back into DIY audio, something I hadn't done since Uni days, eventually culminating in me being locked up in the looney bin for DIY nuts. Fortunately they forgot to remove the wireless card from my laptop and anyway a padded cell has pretty decent acoustic properties ;)

Actually my looney bin is very nice, Sydney is after all the most beyootiful city on Earth (except Melbourne of course cough cough). I live in Newport, along with the gum trees, kookaburras, galahs, ticks, and assorted other wild things. Very happy to be back Down Under and tinkering away with audio bits 'n' pieces, and looking forward to meeting more audio folks here  8)

OK your turn :-)

Oz_Audio

Introductions!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2003, 10:52 pm »
Hi Guys,
I also did the Hi Fi upgrade thing until I too found out what a soldering iron was.

I may come across as a bit of an evangelist on Bipole main speakers (TLb), Dipole Subs (Linkwitz Phoenix) and all electronics by AKSA, but I have not heard anything better at any price.

On other things, I live in Darwin, in the tropical north of Australia in the Northern Territory.  We have 100,000 people in Darwin and about 160,000 people in the state.  We have a Station (ranch) here that is bigger than the state of Texas and lots of National Parks which means lots of visitors this time of the year.

I grew up in Melbourne, travelled all of Australia in the 80's with work, and I have also lived and worked in Luxembourg, Malaysia and PNG.

On weekends when I am not running the kids around for sport I go fishing and hunting wild pigs.  The fishing here is the best.  On a regular basis I catch 15kg Spanish Mackerel, 15kg Jew Fish, 6kg Golden Snapper, 8kg Qween Fish and lots of Mud Crabs.

Overall the best place to live in the world once you get used to the heat, cope with cyclones every year, dodge 6m crocodiles, miss 7 of the worlds top 10 deadliest snakes, scorpions, spiders, mosquitoes and washing the car every morning to wipe away Fruit Bat droppings (it eats through car paint work to shiny metal in 6 hours) and being only a Territory and not a state, have politicions from "Down South" over ruling all our own laws because "They know best"!!

And we have unlimited speed laws on all roads outside city limits!!

Mark :lol:

PJ

Introductions!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2003, 08:02 am »
My proper name is Peter Johnson (You can see my originality for my AC nickname).

I am a 21yo university student in Perth, studying final year Electronic Engineering and Commerce at UWA. I work on a casual basis behind the bar at the Subiaco Hotel

My gear:

NAD540 cdp.
Jon Risch 89259 IC's
Cyrus 3, used as a pre.
Tara Labs Prism 5
AKSA 100
Tara Labs Prism Omni
nOrh Marble 7.0's using the Scanspeak 9500 tweeter, mounted on DIY solid sandstone stands.

Andy G

Hi All !!!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2003, 11:50 pm »
Andy G here:::::

web addy ::  http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/

I am an avid DIY loudspeaker builder who likes experimenting with different cabinet shapes, and construction method. A do have a registered company name, ARGOS Audio, but that is mainly so I can buy stuff at wholesale prices.  
I'm actually an older member of the looneybin (nearly 50), but also doing a Uni degree in Civil Engineering at Newcastle Uni. To stretch Austudy a bit i do PA hire and mixing for local live bands 2-3 times a week.

My HiFi system;
Tascam Cd-401,  Thorens TT with Kiseki hi-output MC on unipivot arm
Bryston 1B pre
Rebuild dynaco MkIv's (voltage regulators etc etc)
ARGOS "Windswept"

Separate HT system:
Yamaha DVD and AV amp, 90cm tube TV, and whatever speakers HT I happen to be working on at the time, Decware WO sub.

EchiDna

Introductions!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2003, 07:13 am »
EchiDna, my long time moniker has been with me for about 6 years now... aka Glen, that Aussie bastard etc etc...

been living in Singapore with my wife for the past 6 years, love life here and I can cheaply feed my DIY electronics ideas thanks to the shopping centres of electronic bit and bobs... in fact I got this ribbon cable yesterday: teflon coated, solid silver strands in groups of 5 strands x 20 groups. 7 metres for S$17.50, thats under US$10 ;-) lots of speaker and IC experiments to follow...

Formerly into woodwork in a big way, but no space for that here in Singapore flats, can't wait to go home and spend some money on decent tools and DIY some speakers

TG

Introductions!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2003, 08:45 am »
Hi,  I post as "TG" on a number of forums - Audio Asylum Tubes, DIY Tubes, SETs and Tweakers, Welborne, Bottlehead, Transcendent Sound and most recently here.  I used to post on the aus.hi-fi newsgroup a few years ago but it has degenerated so far I don't even read it anymore.

I started building DIY audio about 20 years ago, starting with solid state and eventually migrating to valves, which has been my obsession for the last few years.  Everything in my system between the CD player and the speakers is DIY, and I'm thinking of building a pair of speakers next.  I'v had a go at this a couple of times but never been happy with the results, but now I've finally arrived at what is pretty much my ideal amplification gear I'm ready to tackle the speakers again.  It never really stops  :D

Cheers
TG

andyr

Introductions!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2003, 10:55 am »
Well, hi there, JohnR and other folks.

I'm "andyr" who you'll see posting from time to time on the Circle but also AA.  I'm lucky enough to live in Melbourne (Oz, not Florida!) not too far from Hugh Dean (so I can have coffee with him from time to time) and I'm the proud owner of AKSA power amps (6 monoblocks) driving my Maggie IIIas through Rod Elliott active crossovers.  Shortly to snap up a GK-1R preamp!

Thanks, JohnR for a really useful forum.

Regards,

Andy

guest1231

Introductions!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2003, 01:34 pm »
Hi everyone.

This is such a great idea!

Welcome back JohnR.

Anyone who frequents Audio Asylum may recognize my moniker.  I use it as a bit of a reaction to the use of the term to describe the people who design letters, brochures, etc for my employer (who will remain markedly secret for now).

I've been into hi-fi for about 30 years, with 2 periods in which I left the whole thing behind.

I'm in Perth - the most remote capital city in the world.  

I look forward to some intelligent discussion and interaction - and answers to my (usually) dumb questions.

Brad

Andy G

Only 7
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2003, 07:51 am »
that's not nearly enough is it guys !!! :(

Come on Aussie !!!

Larry

Introductions!
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2003, 12:34 am »
My self-introduction could be found imbedded in this post:   :mrgreen:

Basement and HiFi under the Aussie Radio thread.

navi

intro
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2003, 09:47 am »
hi people

i'm from melbourne- a freelance photographer and part time audioFREAK

my system:
Arcam alpha 6 CDP
Mark Levinson No.26 pre
Behringer truth B2031 active nearfield monitors
audioquest + DIY kimber kables interconnects
ear science power box

i am a bargin hunter. constantly looking for cheap gear. and into DIY cables- which i have been making on/off for last 4 years

navi:)

Brett

• http://www.wickedweasel.com
Re: Introductions!
« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2003, 09:54 am »
Hi,

I'm Brett.
I registered ages ago, but this is my first post.
Spent most of my life in Sinny mainly on the Peninsula / NBeaches / Inner West, but due to good behaviour, I was parolled and don't have to anymore.

Been into music/audio for donkeys years having lots of shiny and expensive gear, until I remembered that I could solder and design (I'm an EE) so I went back into building my own stuff. Now I'm a hardcore DIYer with almost every peice of gear in my system handmade or had the daylights modified out of it.

My preferences are for the Holy Trinity; vinyl, tubes and horns.

My system is in a bit of disarray at the moment as I've decided to make it look pretty for a change, so I'm building new amp cases and some new horns. I've built over 20 amps this year for the fun of it, but have pretty much settled on two different poweramps and the one preamp. On occaision I build amps on commission.

I also post at audioannex, on diyaudio and a small amount on AA.

Cheers

bluesky

Introductions!
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2003, 04:53 am »
Hi Guys!

My name is Ian Hibel, my moniker is bluesky as I am an optimist at heart.  I originally got into DIY because, because relying on a disability pension as a result of a car accident, I couldn't afford to buy new gear, needless to say I am now addicted to this hobby/obsession.

I hail from Brisbane and do some part time work as a teachers aide tutoring Aboriginal kids in numeracy and literacy local state school.  

I have built an Aksa amp and preamp (currently being tested by a tech Dad of one of the kids I tutor), power cables (thanks to Larry!) and I am currently building Cat5e interconnects and speaker cables according to Malcolm Fear's recipe.

Cheers, Ian

Rocket

hi
« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2003, 01:54 am »
Hi,

I guess I shouldn't be rude and I should introduce myself as well.

My name is Rod and I live in Perth Western Australia.  Perth has it's good & bad points (too far from the rest of oz  :( ).

I'm not really into diy as I'm a bit apprehensvie to try.  May'be one day I will have a try :) .

I kind of fell into having a diy AKSA 100 (nirvana) amp built (I enlisted the help of others) as my very expensive n.e.w. amp had a meltdown and I was forced to look at alternatives.

Anyway I do notice that there are a few other ppl on this forum who live in perth.  I've found audiocircle forum very useful and have made a lot of contacts all around the world.

my system is as follows:

Pioneer pds 507 cdp
perpetual technologies p3a (modwright level 1) dac and monolithic power supply
n.e.w. p3 tube preamp
aksa 100 (nirvana)
war audio speakers mtm setup 2 x 7 inch kevlar mid/bass drivers and raven 1 ribbon tweeters

regards

rocket

Isaac

• http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/speaker.htm
Introductions!
« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2003, 02:25 pm »
Hi,

I'm Isaac from Sydney.  At the moment, I'm a full-time salesperson.  I recently finished an Advanced Diploma course at TAFE; with plans to return to the  Univ. of Syd. to begin my 2nd year of Telecomm. Eng. studies.  I just have to figure out how I'm going to pay both my rent and sustenance :mrgreen:

The technicalities behind the difference between my dad's back then new BOSE 601-III towers and my SONY radio-cassette boombox was what got myself into this hobby.  Since then I've been tinkering with the inner workings of speakers and amps, but mostly at the software level 'cause my funds are very limited.

I'm a hobbyist computer programmer as well.  During vacations, I worked on my two speaker programs: Crossover Simulator and Subwoofer Simulator.  Adding more features to both programs, and ultimately combining both into one package, is on the drawing board.  After which I'm just going to enjoy building real speakers for a while :)

Noise makers:

EBS alignment Adire Audio brand Shiva Mk-III subwoofer
Electronics Australia Pro3 stereo power amp (as subwfr. amp.)
(very old) BOSE RoomMate-II active bookshelf speakers
SONY DVP-S336 dvd player
Sennheiser HD-590 headphones

Regards,
Isaac

rookster

Intro
« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2003, 12:56 am »
My name is Michael Rook.  I am from Brisbane.  I am into DIY of most things to do with audio.  I like all kinds of music.

My main system comprises;

Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm and Audio Technica OC9 cartridge
LC Audio phono stage (latest version) with DIY battery power supply
Musical Fidelity XA-1 integrated amp
SonicArt Legend 4W/channel SET amp
MSB Link DAC-II
Marantz CD63SE with DIY power cable and LC Audio clock upgrade
Eichmann Express 4 interconnects and speaker cables
Kimber Hero interconnect
Musical Fidelity X-Can2 Headphone amp with modified volume pot and DIY power supply
DIY speakers based on Jaycar SA100 with Vifa drivers and many generations of tweaks in professional speaker cabinets
All gear housed in a Lovan Sovereign rack

I am currently building a turntable from a Teres bearing and 50mm thick acrlic platter.  I am halfway there.  I am building a motor unit from a Maxon motor and battery power supply.  I am planning on building a uni-pivot arm with a carbon fibre arm and a jewel bearing pivot.

I feel my speakers are a weak point and would like to try some Aksonics at some stage soon.

My equipment is modest, but lots of fun to be had in modifying it.

srm

Introductions!
« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec 2003, 06:28 am »
Hi everybody,

My name is Stephen and I live in Melbourne.
I'm an IT Consultant with an IBM Business Partner.
I work with Unix & Storage Software.

currently my Hi-Fi / Home Theatre is

Yamaha RX-V2095
Nad 1700 Pre Amp (and TT input.)
Nad 2600 Power Amp
Nad 3020 * 2 for effect amps
Kef 104/2 Main Speakers
Boston Acoustic in wall effect speakers
an Advance Audio Turntable & power supply.
Toshiba 2108 DVD player
and a home made power-up unit

I've had this setup for a number of years now.
I'm about to do a major renovation to the house which will include
a theatre,
I'll be building Power Amps for my new 7.1 setup.
which will either be
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com n-channel
or and AKSA 100
I'm not sure yet !

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the group.

regards,

Stephen.

Rocket

aksa amp
« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2003, 09:58 am »
hi stephen,

as you live in melbourne you should contact hugh and organise an audition of his aksa amp.

i had a nad 2200 amp and the aksa is many times better than that amp.

regards

rocket

srm

Introductions!
« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2003, 02:26 am »
Hi Rocket,

thanks for the info.

did you get the nivarna upgrade?
what speakers are you driving ?

I've already emailed Hugh regarding an audition.

regards,

Stephen.

Rocket

introductions
« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:25 am »
hi stephen,

here is a link to my system:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=37

my amp is aksa 100 nirvana, originally i had the stocker and did the upgrade last april and it was quite a jump in sound quality.

the speakers are built here in perth, war audio, an mtm speaker using 2 x 7inch focal kevlar speakers and the raven 1 ribbon tweeter.  i went for the aksa 100 as my speakers are low impedance.

regards

rod