Pulled the trigger on RPlusD

mfsoa

Pulled the trigger on RPlusD
« on: 14 Feb 2007, 04:41 pm »
Well, it's done. I splurged on the RPlusD software (the replacement for ETF). Now it's time to try to figure out what to do with it!

I have one fundamental question, though. In the user documentation it says a few times to only measure a single speaker at a time (I have 2ch, no subs). When I see others posting plots, I don't see "Here's the Left" etc.

I understand that 2 speakers can null/amplify each other. But is the single channel recommendation more appropriate for certain purposes, or is this an always, across the board requirement. Seems like when I listen I usually have both speakers playing! 

So are there times when it's beneficial to use both? Seems to be more real-world, yet I understand that a single channel would be better for a truer understanding of what your room is doing.

Any thoughts?

Trying to get started in the right direction before I inundate you with results of room treatments!

Thanks

(BTW I spell checked this post, and RPlusD came up as "repulsed". Hope this is not an omen!)
-Mike

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Pulled the trigger on RPlusD
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2007, 06:29 pm »
Mike,

> In the user documentation it says a few times to only measure a single speaker at a time <

I disagree with that advice. For low frequencies, anyway, it's more important to measure with both speakers sounding at the same time. With most music, and pop music in particular, bass instruments are panned in the middle. So your test should duplicate that. However, it's useful to also measure each speaker separately to find other potential problems.

--Ethan