Trinity cable: a synergy story!

Loftprojection

Trinity cable: a synergy story!
« on: 14 Feb 2007, 02:08 pm »
Well, some of you know I finished a pair of A/V-3 a few months ago, my first DIY that replaced old NHT 1.3 with NHT sub.

I was happy with my A/V-3, overall sound quality versus the NHT was definitely better but there was a few things that I was not overly impressed about.  One was the highs.  On some music, the NHT had those sparkles in the highs that was not quite there with the A/V-3.  Voices and mids felt neutral, natural and more "correct" on the A/V-3 but on some songs the NHT had a little something to it that made them feel a bit more fun/wow.  With bass, the A/V-3 were going a bit lower then the NHT with their sub but did not completely aneliate them.  So, as I said, overall the sound of the A/V-3 was more satisfying but did not blow me away!

A few weeks ago I noticed the following statement on Danny's site:

"These speaker cables are an excellent complement to our A/V series kits. They are also ideal for use with speakers using soft dome tweeters and match well with overly soft or laid back systems by creating a newness of life, detail, energy, and involvement."

and it got me thinking.  What if these "missing" characteristics on my A/V-3 were "caused" by my speaker cables.  I have a pretty good kit of electronics and interconnect but I also use an old pair of MIT Terminator5 speaker cables that were very expensive at that time.  So I sent an email to Danny and in his usual way he replied; "ya, those MIT had a good reputation a while ago, never heard them but it could be that the Trinity cable improves your sound quality."  Talk about a sales pitch!  :lol:  I decided to order them anyway and braid them myself considering the great price.

Last night I finally finished them and immediately plugged them in, no burn in.  Well, you probably guessed it by now, turns out the Trinity is really, but really, improving things.  The sparkles in the highs, yes they are back, voices and mids now have more life in them, tonality didn't change but somehow they have this little something that gives goosebumps and the bass, the one thing I did not hope for changes, well I almost fainted, bass improved dramatically.  The A/V-3 seem to go down even deeper then before AND bass is very tight and controled where before it was a tiny bit mushy and boomy. 

Funny that the MIT cables were doing magic with the NHT but were not doing too good with the A/V-3.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Trinity cable would make the NHT overly bright.

Conclusions:  First, I never expected synergy between components and cables to be so important.  Second, man ho man do those A/V-3 sound good!

THANKS Danny!

Danny Richie

Re: Trinity cable: a synergy story!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2007, 02:13 pm »
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

You are correct. It's all about the synergy.