Heavy Snow ---it's our turn.

rosconey

Re: Heavy Snow ---it's our turn.
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:24 pm »
looks like another round of snow is heading my way-
they say a noreaster this weekend -man as bad as lake effect is the noreasters are 10 times worse-

and to top it off today its colder than the last woman i asked out-
soundbitten were you at-

will stock up on food for the dog and pepsi for me-

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:07 pm »
For us it looks like 18" - 24". Other than some delays tomorrow morning and closed schools, it will be business as usual.

and pepsi for me-

A man after my own heart.

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:15 pm »
We have a "blizzard warning" due to high winds.  12-16 inches of snow by tomorrow am which is a lot around these parts.  All the schools are closed including the private one my daughter goes to, which is (almost) NEVER closed.  My other one was supposed to go back to college in Holland MI, but won't be able to get there today.

Tom

rosconey

« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:25 pm »
guess i should take a better look at the weather forcast-thought the snow was going to come this weekend-its coming today- :duh:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:06 pm »
Okay........going out now to fire up the snow blower.

rosconey

« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:24 pm »
how much did you get so far bill?
i have about 14-16" so far-so its not the big storm that was predicted i guess

LadyDog

« Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:48 pm »
While not up the the New Yorker's standards, we received a good 13+ inches in the last 24 hours.  As Tom mentioned, with the high winds you could shovel yourself out only to find in an hour or so you were back to square one.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2007, 03:37 pm »
 We have about 14" on the ground now and the heavy stuff is not due till around noon where they are saying about 2" - 3" per hour for 6-7 hours.
 After working all morning, I have to work here at the shop for a few hours and then go home for round 2 of snow removal.

rosconey

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2007, 04:49 pm »
crap up here is like sand-just tried to get out of the driveway and got stuck good-decided it would be a good day to go to dmv and reregister my van-didnt think that the end pile was so thick-

made it almost all the way then so much white sand got under the car it lifted off the ground-did a quick shovel around the car with the kid across the street,then pulled the rest our from under with my hoe that i use for cement and sand mix-worked like a charm-

cars back in the garage and im geting feeling back in my hands

boead

« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2007, 05:14 pm »
.. with my hoe that i use...

I wish I had a hoe  8)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2007, 01:41 pm »
Well we lucked out and the intense part of the storm moved East of us. We ended up with only about 19" here.
 Now we have to deal with bitter cold temps with wind chills of 20 below zero for the next 5 days. I would rather have the snow than these bone chilling temperatures.

Thebiker

« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2007, 01:53 pm »
Well, southern NH only got about 10" of snow out of this Nor'easter, but the wind chill is well into the single digits and below 0 with some of the gusts. 

The real fun was this morning.  Interstate 93 was shut down north & south.  Seems that there was a jack-knifed tractor trailer at Exit 3 south bound and another one jack-knifed at Exit 4 north bound (or maybe the other way around) :scratch:

Since that's the one of the 2 major commuting corridors to Boston, my drive to work is Boston this morning was just lovely.  I managed to stay out of the 93 mess and did 2 lane roads.  It actually was a pretty commute going through the back roads.  What the heck, I had coffee and music in the car deck.  Life is good 8).

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2007, 05:24 pm »
Well we lucked out and the intense part of the storm moved East of us. We ended up with only about 19" here.

You call that luck?  Ouch!  The USA is a big and diverse area.  Since you have the right to live anywhere you want in the USA, why not move to one of those nice places that never sees snow and sub zero temps?  I know I would if I could.

John

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2007, 05:42 pm »
Since you have the right to live anywhere you want in the USA, why not move to one of those nice places that never sees snow and sub zero temps?  I know I would if I could.

John

You might also miss the winters and the snow, if you have become used to them. I have heard of this happenning and people actually moving back to where they came from, just for the winters and four distinct seasons!

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 15 Feb 2007, 06:44 pm »
Well, I've lived in Idaho, CA, NY, CT, PA, FL, AZ, and been to many other states.  Each state has good and bad.  Take northern CA, for instance.  Good:  Great weather, tons of stuff to do.  Bad:  Horrendous traffic, high housing prices, postage stamp lots; possible earth quakes.  AZ:  Good:  Lower priced housing (at least at one time), sunny.  Bad:  pay is nowhere near what it is in New England; traffic is getting much worse; pollution; it's always freaking hot and sunny.  CT: Good: jobs, pay, proximity to NYC, NY, VT, Mass, etc.; lots of trees; large lots.  Bad:  expensive housing; it snows; weird laws (alcohol included); high tax rate; the traffic in certain areas is bad, but not as bad as in CA. 

For me, I like driving in and playing in the snow.  AZ (Phoenix and Tucson) is too freaking hot; CA is great but too crowded and too expensive.  I like CT, although CT is not without its problems.  I also like four seasons.  The "hot" and "even hotter" and "oh my is it freaking hot" in AZ was too much trouble.

mcgsxr

« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:03 pm »
We got between 18-20 inches over the last 2 days here west of Toronto.

Lotsa fun, beats the heat, for this guy!

fajimr

« Reply #36 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:07 pm »
whopppeeeee... time to go skiing!!  skiers are calling this one of the biggest one day dumps EVER in the East.  Stowe Vt issued an avalanche warning at the resort.  many of the lifts are closed today because of high winds and deep deep snow.... whhoooppppeeee

jim

p.s. I thought this thread needed a change in tone

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #37 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:50 pm »
Each state has good and bad......... 

I have also lived in many states growing up in a military family including overseas where I spent 2 years in Iceland. I would not want to live in the lower central states or the hot flat states such as AZ. I have no desire to visit or live in CA. I did spend a month in CO and two weeks camping in the Rockies. Beautiful state. I like the East Coast and don't mind the snow at all. It's the taxes and utility cost of NY that I don't like. NY is ridiculous with it state laws and fees. No matter what you do, it will cost more in NY. Housing is not bad here in Upstate and I can't stand NYC (I lived there for 3 years).

I also lived in Georgia where I have no desire to return. Virginia was nice and I would not mind living there again but I will remain here in Upstate NY for some time. It is beautiful here as I am in a beautiful mountain  region and yes, we do see the blunt force of all 4 seasons.

The worse thing is owning a business here. They get you from all angles with their outrageous taxes and corporate laws and fees. For instance, I have to charge tax based on the county a product is shipped to. I have to know the tax rate for every county in NY state. What a pain in the but.

I do bitch a lot about the cost of living and doing business in NY but I do also choose to live here.

rosconey

« Reply #38 on: 16 Feb 2007, 02:08 pm »
still hasnt stopped snowing-have a few feet in the driveway since yesterday-dam lake effect snow-

deceided to do a rocky testerday and go for a walk in the snow-took the dog,he had a heck of a time,its over waist deep(that was yesterday been snowing ever since so now its armpit deep-lol),like the idiot he is he decided to make his own path instead of following behind me-well at least he got a good work out-so did i

PhishPhan

« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2007, 02:19 pm »
whopppeeeee... time to go skiing!!  skiers are calling this one of the biggest one day dumps EVER in the East.  Stowe Vt issued an avalanche warning at the resort.  many of the lifts are closed today because of high winds and deep deep snow.... whhoooppppeeee

jim

p.s. I thought this thread needed a change in tone

That's good stuff Jim. It's too bad I can't do any skiing for a while; I sprained my ankle almost three weeks ago, and instead of skiing throung this stuff on my Rossi's I've had the pleasure of plowing through it on a brand new pair of crutches. :thumb: (I go to school at Ohio State and I have little choice otherwise)

Deep, deep snow... :drool: