Odyssey Preamps

Spirit

• Volunteer
Odyssey Preamps
« on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:11 am »
I own a pair of Odyssey Mono Extremes and I am contemplating the purchase of a new Preamp.
I know Klaus's website is not totally up to date, so I am wondering if anybody can explain to me the differences between the current Candela and Tempest Models. I haven't kept myself educated on these preamps.
Also, I am not sure about the prices, exact model names and options available.
I am trying to educate myself before I call Klaus to talk shop.
Thanks in advance

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
Re: Odyssey Preamps
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2007, 07:10 am »
Spirit, you heard the Candela at RMAF on the main system with the Stratos monos and the Loreleis. It is a tube linestage (no phono) whereas the Tempest is a solid state preamp (includes phono). Robert Harley was mistaken when he listed the Tempest at RMAF. Klaus was using the Candela. He had a Symphonic preamp on the Picture Speaker system IIRC.

Last post of a Candela price by Klaus was $1,200 last October 1. I believe this is the base price without remote volume control. IIRC there is no phono option for the Candela yet. The Candela is superior to the Tempest but I have only heard them at Shows. I bought a TAD-150 right before Klaus announced the Candela. Since I don't "churn" gear I just missed the boat on it. I have the Loreleis and a Stereo Extreme amp.

As always, if in doubt, talk to the man himself. At RMAF he stated that he felt the Candela was going to become his most popular item.

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2007, 07:40 am »
At RMAF he stated that he felt the Candela was going to become his most popular item.

He struck me as an amazingly honest guy when we spoke in the past.  This quote has me wanting to look into the Candella a little deeper.

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:08 am »
after some tube swapping the candella is :drool:

i think the only option on the candella is volume control-

tempest has phono,candella doesnt

call klaus about $$$

djbnh

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:55 am »
IIRC there is no phono option for the Candela yet.
Does anyone know if a Candela phono option is in the works? I'm a happy Tempest owner who uses the Tempest's phono stage, and if the upgrade bug hit, would not want to purchase two items (Candela + separate phono stage) to replace the Tempest.

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:33 pm »
klaus told me he was doing a seperate phono stage to use with the candella-but that was last year,who knows what has developed since then-give da man a call

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:13 pm »
The Tempest is no slouch. It's better in everyway than the entry level Conrad-Johnson tube pre I had before. A friend of mine has an Audio Research LS-16, and we thought the Tempest held it's own against it.

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:55 pm »
klaus told me he was doing a seperate phono stage to use with the candella-but that was last year,who knows what has developed since then-give da man a call

spoke with Klaus a couple three weeks ago about this same subject, and from the conversation I'd say it isn't gonna happen anytime too soon. Klaus knew I was shopping for a new phono stage, and we even hashed over the options I had in mind.
Right now I'm using a Wright WP 100, and it's nice. Seems to interface well with the Candela. But of course I have other schemes (sometimes they're real bad ones, but you only live once), and bought a custom built AVA hybrid with two inputs and outputs.
So I guess we'll just have to see how well this works.
      I'd suggest you just buy the Candela, and start out with a Bellari phono preamp. Then maybe move on up from there if needed.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:06 pm »
Spirit, you heard the Candela at RMAF on the main system with the Stratos monos and the Loreleis. It is a tube linestage (no phono) whereas the Tempest is a solid state preamp (includes phono). Robert Harley was mistaken when he listed the Tempest at RMAF. Klaus was using the Candela. He had a Symphonic preamp on the Picture Speaker system IIRC.

Last post of a Candela price by Klaus was $1,200 last October 1. I believe this is the base price without remote volume control. IIRC there is no phono option for the Candela yet. The Candela is superior to the Tempest but I have only heard them at Shows. I bought a TAD-150 right before Klaus announced the Candela. Since I don't "churn" gear I just missed the boat on it. I have the Loreleis and a Stereo Extreme amp.

As always, if in doubt, talk to the man himself. At RMAF he stated that he felt the Candela was going to become his most popular item.

I think that the Candela may well be on the way to being the most sought after Odyssey product. It kinda makes me wonder about the profit margins some folks have on their products. It is not a great unit, but one of the better preamps out there period.
Sure we always want more, but not without having to take a second mortgage out on the house. This preamp is chateau briend on a hamberger budgit.
gary

bunky

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2007, 07:02 pm »
i own the Candela and two other tube preamplifiers and i like the build and the sound of the Candela so much that i am seriously considering buying a 2nd one to use in a second tube amp based two channel Rig that i am now building. i just bought a Sonic Frontiers SFS 80 tube power amp in mint condition and i think that the Candela would fit perfectly into this tube rig as well. thanks....WCW III

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2007, 07:14 pm »
i own the Candela and two other tube preamplifiers and i like the build and the sound of the Candela so much that i am seriously considering buying a 2nd one to use in a second tube amp based two channel Rig that i am now building. i just bought a Sonic Frontiers SFS 80 tube power amp in mint condition and i think that the Candela would fit perfectly into this tube rig as well. thanks....WCW III
Hey Bunky:
What is it that makes the Candela such a great preamp.
Klaus always seems to be able to perform magic with his gear.

bunky

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2007, 08:21 pm »
Hey Bunky:

Odyssey has the Great talents of Mr Rolf Gemien of Symphonic Line in Germany and of Mr Alex G of Odyssey in Indianapolis at Klaus's disposal. Alex G designed and implemented the performance enhancing upgrades for your mono extreme SE's and he spent a great deal of time and effort using two different prototypes to perfect his design for what is now known as the Candela tube preamplifier. the Candela was voiced using Alex G's personal pair of mono extreme SE's and people who are familiar with it tend to believe that the Candela is a true Giant Killer....WCW III

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2007, 08:38 pm »
Hey Bunky:

Odyssey has the Great talents of Mr Rolf Gemien of Symphonic Line in Germany and of Mr Alex G of Odyssey in Indianapolis at Klaus's disposal. Alex G designed and implemented the performance enhancing upgrades for your mono extreme SE's and he spent a great deal of time and effort using two different prototypes to perfect his design for what is now known as the Candela tube preamplifier. the Candela was voiced using Alex G's personal pair of mono extreme SE's and people who are familiar with it tend to believe that the Candela is a true Giant Killer....WCW III
Do you know what the actual difference is between the Mono Extremes and Extremes SE?
You seem to be the ultimate Odyssey client  :lol:

bunky

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2007, 10:17 pm »
Hey Bunky:

Do you know what the actual difference is between the Mono Extremes and Extremes SE?
You seem to be the ultimate Odyssey client  :lol:
I believe that Alex G told me that the Boards were upgraded with Fairchild hexfreds and either Nichicon Muse or Sonicap Capacitors depending on the parts availability/timeframe and they have a few other goodies for good measure. i had my pair wired internaly with Groneberg TS premium Cable to match my IC and Speaker cable as well. some friends have jokingly called me a Blathering fanboy :lol: but i consider myself just an Odyssey Audio enthusiast :thumb:

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:06 pm »
Bunky:
Since you and I aren't having a one-on-one on the phone, let me ask you your reasons for being so impressed with the Odyssey line.  I am just trying to formulate my own thoughts about this exceptional line, but would be curious to read your reasoning.

bunky

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:30 am »
Bunky:
Since you and I aren't having a one-on-one on the phone, let me ask you your reasons for being so impressed with the Odyssey line.  I am just trying to formulate my own thoughts about this exceptional line, but would be curious to read your reasoning.
listen to your system with the mono extreme SE's and think about how good they sound.they dont make amps that sound that good that come out of a Factory. all of this wonderful gear is built to order by hand one at a time. Klaus will bias the Amps based on what voltage i read with a multimeter from my wall socket! i know the guys who build it and Design it. i get to order the gear from the owner of the company and if i have any problems he is there for me and will take care of it A.S.A.P, my system sounds so good now that i dont plan on changing anything in it. but being a Audiophile/ Audio enthusiast i am building a 2nd tube amplifier based two channel rig because i love the aspect of building a system and tweaking it until i am satisfied with the sound of it.thanks....WCW III

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2007, 01:19 am »
Bunky:
listen to your system with the mono extreme SE's and think about how good they sound.they dont make amps that sound that good that come out of a Factory. all of this wonderful gear is built to order by hand one at a time. Klaus will bias the Amps based on what voltage i read with a multimeter from my wall socket! i know the guys who build it and Design it. i get to order the gear from the owner of the company and if i have any problems he is there for me and will take care of it A.S.A.P, my system sounds so good now that i dont plan on changing anything in it. but being a Audiophile/ Audio enthusiast i am building a 2nd tube amplifier based two channel rig because i love the aspect of building a system and tweaking it until i am satisfied with the sound of it.thanks....WCW III
Extremely well stated Bunky.
BTW - how did you know that I have SE's?
Anyways, here is my take.
These amps do everything right from the top octave to the bottom with complete ease.  I hear absoultely no strain in the music whatsoever. Bunky, as you know by having read my little sysnopsis on our Toronto (TAAS) Amp Comparo, to my ears the Monos were far and away the winner.
About Klaus:  I have a University Business degree. I recall the story that my first Marketing Prof told us and it goes something like this.
In a small town there was a very successful dog grooming store where the Upper class of the town brought their pooches to have the hair and nails done.  Price for this service was a steep $150.00.  But despite this high price the business flourished.  A young couple moved to the town and as luck would have it the woman had just recieved her dog grooming license at Community College.  She staked out the grooming store and could not understand how the owners were getting away charging $150.00.  She knew that she could open her own store and charge $50.00 for the exact same service and still make good money.  So, she did just that.  She opened her competitive store, posted a sign of $60.00 for the same service, swung open the doors and waited for the canines to flock.  Well......she went bust in a matter of a few months.
Why?  Because people perceived that there was no way that their dogs could recieve the same level of service or even better for that much of a bargain. 
Well, here we have Odyssey.  I am sure that with the disease of Audio Nervosa many so called Audiophiles probably feel the same way as those small town folks.  Klaus's gear can't possibly be as good or better then the overpriced big boys for the same "you get what you pay for" mentality.
But you know, Klaus has defeated that old small town mentality.  His products are superb and must, without reservation, being considered some of greatest bargains in the audio marketplace.
I have listened to all sorts of amps from countless companies over the last 30 years and Klaus comes out at the top.
Let's face it; the big companies like the Krells, the Levinson, the McIntoshs all must report to the bean counters and ultimately quality of parts must be sacrificed.  A very well known amp modded told me that when working on $35,000 Levinsons that a client sent him he was surprised to look under the hood and find that the parts used were certainly good but not exceptional.
And customer service - Klaus is in a total league of his own.  He truly wants the client to be satisfied.
Anyways,  I hope that I haven't bored to many of you, but the man does indeed deserve a lot of praise.
Cheers

lazydays

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2007, 06:39 am »

You'll like that amp (even if Freemer didn't). I had the 45 watt one, and hated to sell it.
Suggest that you seriously think about retubing it while you have the time (assuming the tubes have a lot of hours on them. You'll need a volt meter to set the bias (seems like 300 or 325 is ideal). Also check the resistors right next to the tubes. I retubed mine as well as the Anthem I have now once, and had the resistors replaced at the same time.
It will take about 25 or 30 hours to get the bias completely stable on the Sonic Frontiers amp. The Candela and my Anthem are a near perfect match, and the SF and the Anthem are very similar in design.
gary

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2007, 07:57 am »
I wouldn't say which is better between Tempest and Candela, they sound similar in many aspects, what helps a lot on what to choose is the base capabilities and expanded functions of both.

Personally I am still with Tempest but my decision was based not only in sound.

You can't loose nothing whether you pick one or another

rosconey

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:18 pm »
I wouldn't say which is better between Tempest and Candela, they sound similar in many aspects, what helps a lot on what to choose is the base capabilities and expanded functions of both.

Personally I am still with Tempest but my decision was based not only in sound.

You can't loose nothing whether you pick one or another

not sure i agree-i think the candella is a step or 2 above the tempest-not taking anything away from the tempest-but its not as seductivly musical