A shout out to GIK Acoustics

yooper

A shout out to GIK Acoustics
« on: 10 Feb 2007, 04:38 pm »
I want to thank Glenn and Bryan for their support and time spent helping me with my room  :thumb:

I have never treated a room before, so this was a first.  I recently purchased a set of Jim Salk's HT3's and wanted to be sure I was treating them right. 

The difference is striking.  The two biggest changes?  One big change is what I don't hear, and the other is what I now hear which I didn't before.

While listening to some very familiar tracks (2 channel), I quickly became confused.  The soundstage was different, subtle sounds that I was familiar with were gone.  Hard to explain, but the music was always very subtle around my head, but always well focused from the front soundstage.  Now, it feels like I'm on an airplane just before my ears pop.  I know that may not make sense, but that now how quite the room is. 

I hear more depth, and the music that travels by my ears is now extremely accurate.  Bass is now very tight, and more accurate than I thought possible.  Everything changed in a very positive way.

My ears/brain quickly learned what was happening, I am now in audio heaven.

My wife gave the thumbs up on placing 7 panels in the living room.  She works for the Airlines and was gone when I installed the panels, and won't be home for a few more days.  I have a feeling that the room may look a little different than what I may or may not have had her believe :roll:  I hope that doesn't go over like a fart in church. :nono:

Anyone on the fence on treating your room, get it done.

Thanks guys,

Mark

Bingenito

Re: A shout out to GIK Acoustics
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2007, 05:07 pm »
I agree. Treating the room is a must and the guys at GIK are great to work with. Prices are right too!

J

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:10 pm »
Any pictures? I'm on the fence(more like the couch!)

I have a very live room , tile floor :duh:

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:12 pm »
I have some of their stuff too, I love it!!

J

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:58 pm »
I have some of their stuff too, I love it!!

Pictures?

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:18 pm »
Glad to see you are happy. It is a necessity that many don't understand. The improvement per dollar spent is wonderful especially compared to electronics or wire. Actually it's no comparison as the room treatments outclass the latter two.

yooper

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:26 pm »
Glad to see you are happy. It is a necessity that many don't understand. The improvement per dollar spent is wonderful especially compared to electronics or wire. Actually it's no comparison as the room treatments outclass the latter two.

Well said. 

Without question, I have never gained so much improvement by spending so little.  In this hobby, that's not usually how it works.

If I don't work overtime tonight, I'll try to throw up a few pics.  Keep in mind the room is a little on the small side, and the pannels do tend to stick out like a sore thumb, so the room isn't "pretty".

Mark

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:05 pm »
Glad to hear that things are working out for you. 

Listening in a treated room is certainly a different experience and takes some getting used to.  The trick is to not overdo it. Finding the right balance to get the bottom end and decay times in line without making the room sound like a vocal booth is the key.

Bryan

yooper

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2007, 05:01 pm »
A took a few pics last night, and attempted to upload them.  However, after reading the help section and searching the forums, I can't see how to add the attachment.  I see the "insert image" button, but it doesn't allow me to select anything.  It comes up "img img".  I tried to drop a picture between the "img's" but it only gives me the address to the photo.

Can someone provide a link or give me the info needed?

Thanks,

Mark

gooberdude

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2007, 05:12 pm »
I think you need to set-up an account at a photo website.  I have one at www.photobucket.com

You upload your photos to the site and them insert the link to them when you post here.

hope that helps, there are quite a few sites like that on the web.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2007, 05:25 pm »
You can also upload to your photo gallery here and then just point to that.

Bryan

Glenn K

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:52 pm »
"  I hope that doesn't go over like a fart in church. "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My father taught me that saying and it still cracks me up to this day!!!!!

I wanted to thank you not only for your purchase but the VERY kind words. Please do keep us posted on your room if you have any questions at all.

Glenn

yooper

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2007, 11:07 pm »
Here are a couple pics.  My picture taking skills are lacking, this is as good as I can do. 

Feel free to offer any criticism,

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=961

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2007, 11:28 pm »
Looking good.

Did you play around with the alternate locations for some of the panels like we discussed on the phone?  Just curios as to your thoughts or if this is where you put them first and just kept them here.

If you wouldn't mind, can you post a pic looking into the open part of the room so the folks can see what we were dealing with?

Thanks

Bryan

yooper

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2007, 12:12 am »
Done.  I wish I wasn't so lazy as the added pic show a bit of a mess.  :oops:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2007, 12:15 am »

If you wouldn't mind, can you post a pic looking into the open part of the room so the folks can see what we were dealing with?

Thanks

Bryan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2007, 12:18 am »
And the other side of the room..... :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2007, 02:13 am »
Mark,

What is the distance to your HT3's from your listening spot?

It looks like you are pretty close to the speakers AND that the speakers and your listening position are very close to room boundaries.

George

yooper

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2007, 02:50 am »
Ear to tweater is 8 feet.  The rear of the speakers are 18" from the wall.

Far from the ideal room, I know.  However, this house will go up for sale within two years. 

They will sound even better in the next home (which will be a dedicated room).  :thumb:

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2007, 02:53 am »
Ear to tweater is 8 feet.  The rear of the speakers are 18" from the wall.

Far from the ideal room, I know.  However, this house will go up for sale within two years. 

They will sound even better in the next home (which will be a dedicated room).  :thumb:

Mark

Mark,

Did you try any room treatments on the wall behind you?

While not ideal, I am sure the speakers sound quite good.

George