Why I love thee, Grado.....

TheChairGuy

« on: 9 Feb 2007, 05:03 pm »
I'm not sure if it's pure happnestance, or something specific to moving irons....but my faves all seem to be Grado's and ADC's (with the exception of the fantastic Grace F-9e I had).  I've never owned, or knowingly heard, a Stanton or Pickering of moving iron type.

There's just more 'substance' with them. 
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2007, 03:03 am by TheChairGuy »

In The Groove

Re: Phono Stage for new VPI table...
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2007, 11:46 pm »
I find that the Grados really get the highs and mids right....

WEEZ

Re: Phono Stage for new VPI table...
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2007, 11:49 pm »
especially the mids, and that's where most of the music lives

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2007, 03:03 am »
I split this into a separate topic so we Grado-heads can profess our love for this unique transducer  :inlove:

I can only specifically pinpoint two things that it does better than any other cartridge - bass notes and stronger and a kind of holography (up, across and deeper than most) that makes any other cartridge seem anemic in comparison is clearly evident.

Midrange and treble 'seem' right to me...but that perception seems to be more subjective than anything else. It all adds up to an essential rightness that I haven't found in any other brand.  The whole in this case, seems greater than the sum of it's parts  :)

I do think the get the most out of them you need a damped arm....and the van Alstine 'Longhorn' stabilizer dramatically improves it's tracking performance - a real weak point with Grado's and worth improving any way possible. 

WEEZ

Re: Why I love thee, Grado.....
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2007, 03:35 am »
I'll add to what I hear as strengths:

1) Grado cartridges have a way of reproducing soundstage depth better than most.

2) While the midrange is their strongest asset; the octave to octave 'balance' sounds more natural than most.

I agree that a well damped arm is helpful. And so is the Longhorn. But the infamous 'hum' and 'tracking' issues are way, way overblown, IMHO.

I think I read that Joe Grado was either a singer; or an opera afficianado. No wonder he managed to insure an accurate rendering of the midrange...

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2007, 07:22 pm »
I'll add to what I hear as strengths:

1) Grado cartridges have a way of reproducing soundstage depth better than most.

2) While the midrange is their strongest asset; the octave to octave 'balance' sounds more natural than most.

I agree that a well damped arm is helpful. And so is the Longhorn. But the infamous 'hum' and 'tracking' issues are way, way overblown, IMHO.

I think I read that Joe Grado was either a singer; or an opera afficianado. No wonder he managed to insure an accurate rendering of the midrange...

spoke with Frank at AVA the otherday, and he spoke of this "hum issue." I've never heard it, and have been using Grados for over 30 years. But our discussion was about cartridge loading, and he told me not to worry about it as the Grado was a perfect match for my needs. If I had hum and a Grado cartridge, the first thing I would be looking at was the cables I was using cause their cartridges don't hum by themselves.
gary

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2007, 08:16 pm »
Grado's will hum when they are close to a poorly shielded turntable motor or transformer. I love my Grado Longhorn in the Harmon Kardon T25 TT.  :dance:

W

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2007, 08:24 pm »
I've heard that it is not lack of shielding...it is their inherent microphony that causes hum on some tables.

Frank damps the coils using 1000cst silicone.a particularly helpful thing for Grado's

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2007, 09:03 pm »
Mine is damped with 1000 centistroke, thanks to Frank. The Harmon Kardon has a DC servo controlled motor, which is great, but it has a transformer (with a bridge rectifier) to deliver 12 VDC. The transformer is the enemy. Frank has told me how to remedy that problem and is on my project "to do" list.

W

Derockster

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2007, 08:44 pm »
Opinions please.Grado Prestige Gold Nib as a replacement for my shure v15 type v.I'm using an sme series111 arm.Regards Derockster

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2007, 09:20 pm »
If that particular SME has a damping trough to match cartridge to arm, I think you'll enjoy the change from the Shure.  The Grados particualrly benefit from damping.

If you don't, I'm not so sure  :scratch:

I owned the V15 you have (I think 5th genration was the last of them) and it was among my least faves. Matched to a Thorens TP16 tonearm, it bored me to tears.

Derockster

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2007, 01:03 am »
Thaks Chairguy.my arm does have the damping trough.Regards Derockster aa

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2007, 01:24 am »
You are good to go. You'll like the Grado.