Interested in Salk MBOW1 speakers

Hleigh

Interested in Salk MBOW1 speakers
« on: 9 Feb 2007, 06:03 pm »
Greetings,

I'm new in town (meaning to the AudioCircle) and thought I'd post a question to get things rolling. I'm in the market for a new set of 2-channel speakers. One thing led to another and another, and before I knew it I'm considering buying a pair of Jim Salk's MBOW1 speakers. Does anybody out there own a pair, and/or, I'm looking for opinion's on said speakers. I don't have a lot of money to spend. His website, salksound.com, certainly looks impressive, but I doubt I'll get a chance to listen to them before taking the plunge.

Thanks

TomS

Re: Interested in Salk MBOW1 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2007, 06:18 pm »
If it's any comfort a number of people here have taken the plunge on Jim's speakers without listening to them or perhaps the final version (they're custom).  I doubt anyone was ever disappointed at least have never heard of it.  On the contrary if you scan the Salk Circle most are thrilled with them and wouldn't give them up for anything else.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2007, 06:19 pm »
oh, by the way - Welcome to AC!

zacster

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2007, 06:45 pm »
I've built my own MBOW1s and they sound superb.  In looking at the Salk site I see he does beautiful cabinets.  I built mine using Parts Express pre-made cabinets, which are very nicely made themselves but not up to what Salk is doing.

LadyDog

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2007, 06:57 pm »
Great speakers.  And a fantastic buy if you go the route Zac went.

As Tom mentioned, doesn't get much better when it comes to Jim and his work.

Best of luck,
Jeff

TomW16

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2007, 07:15 pm »
I haven't heard the MBOW1 speakers but they were designed by Dr. Dennis Murphy who designed the crossover for the Ellis 1801 and Jim Salk's speakers. 

I can't imagine that you would go wrong with that speaker.

Tom

audiosapiens

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2007, 03:15 am »
Perhaps you can look at the specs of the speakers first, then ask for warranty so you can be sure of the quality.