Cornet cathode follower improvement

gurevise

Cornet cathode follower improvement
« on: 9 Feb 2007, 03:20 am »
Hi,
I'm curious about this change to the cathode follower. If output R11/C6 circuit would be connected to RyQx net, instead of cathode of V3a tube. This would increase output impedance by 220 Ohms but would linearize cathode follower. I think, it would add extra local feedback to the cathode follower. Resistor R11 can be removed in this case.

What do you guys think?

Sergey
Dayton, OH

JoshK

Re: Cornet cathode follower improvement
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2007, 03:28 am »
This is a broskie technique.  I'm curious what Jim's opinion on this is.

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2007, 05:27 am »
I can't for the life of me figure out what you are saying.  Can you please draw it?  Or at least post a link to a JB schematic.

jh

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2007, 07:09 am »
I don't know what those specific resistor/cap numbers refer to in your schematic as I don't have a cornet.  I was just assuming he was referring to a technique JB has written about where he puts a resistor in series on the output of the cathode follower to output, before the series coupling cap.  He argues it linearizes the cathode follower and blocks the cathode from the series capacitance but raises the Zout. If I am way off, well then just ignore me. 

gurevise

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2007, 03:38 pm »
Sorry guys for not being clear on this,
I've used part numbers from the Corner manual's schematic, available on the HagTech site.
Here is schematic from the Tube CAD site:

Cathode follower on the left. I was referring to the Rk1 resistor being 220 Ohms and Rk2 is solid state CCS.

Sergey

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2007, 07:28 pm »
Ok, a White cathode follower (more of a push-pull).  I haven't really looked into using them.  Although, it seems you might be able to implement one using a CORNET.  The difference is that I use a BJT for the current sink.  I think Allen Wright uses something like this.

In general, adding tubes is costly.  Depends if you are designing bang-for-buck or state-of-art.  When you can throw money at a project, that's one thing.  Making a CORNET sing is another.  That's where compromises come into play.  Add a tube, and you need more chassis space, more circuit board, more heater current, etc.  There is quite a ripple effect.  That's why I always design from a system viewpoint. 

But back to the White, I don't have much to say as I've never tried one.  It looks fine from a theoretical standpoint.  You might have to watch out for power up issues.

jh

gurevise

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2007, 08:28 pm »
I was referring to the follower circuit on the left, not a white-cathode follower.
The output cap is NOT connected directly to the cathode BUT to the bottom end of the resistor Rk1. This, the resistor Rk1 is in series with the load. 

Sergey

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2007, 01:52 am »
Oh.  But I already use a 220 in series with the output.  It does the same thing.  I've been promoting this trick for years.  First used on the TRUMPET.  Maybe Broskie got it from here.

jh

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2007, 06:26 am »
So I did read you right.  Good to know its already being used.

kylek

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:57 am »