shure versus audio technica

Derockster

shure versus audio technica
« on: 9 Feb 2007, 02:03 am »
HI guys I am in need of some opinions here.I'm using a technics sp25 direct drive turntable with an sme series 3 arm with a shure v15 type v cartridge.I am thinking of switching to the Audio Technica 440ml cartridge.Would that be an improvement or a step backwards??Regards Derockster

lcrim

Re: shure versus audio technica
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2007, 02:55 am »
Hi Derockster:
Does your SME Series III include the fluid damping tray and the anti-skating weight and guide?  I had one but the damping tray had been removed before I bought it and I couldn't find a replacement.  The tonearm should work well with the AT 440ml or mla, its a high compliance MM in the same mode as the Shure.  The only example I ever heard of the Shure was on my Dual CS 5000 when I first got it.   I would prefer to think it was damaged as it had a kind of "shadow image" that was annoying. 
Had the AT on the Series III mounted on a Rega P3 so I know its a decent combination, and if you have the damping tray working (I didn't) then I'm betting it will sound great.  The Series III was, I believe, SME's only try at a low mass tonearm.
I think you can find a replacement stylus for the Shure but my choice would be the AT between the two. 

Derockster

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2007, 04:00 am »
Hi Icrim,mine does include the fluid damping tray and the anti-skating weight and guide.Thanks very much for your reply to my post.Will defintely be going for the audio technica now.Will keep you posted on the outcome.Regards Derockster

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2007, 04:46 am »
HI guys I am in need of some opinions here.I'm using a technics sp25 direct drive turntable with an sme series 3 arm with a shure v15 type v cartridge.I am thinking of switching to the Audio Technica 440ml cartridge.Would that be an improvement or a step backwards??Regards Derockster

Probably a step forward with the AT440.

I'm not sure where you are located, but as you have the fluid damped arm...I'd recommend the similar priced Grado in place of the AT.  In the US, I think that's the Red model.

Mine's paired with a JVC direct driver...and there is no hum (probably due to the damped arm).  I think the key to getting all of the best out of Grado's is a damped arm...the more I go along, the more I firmly believe that. If you add the van Alstine Longhorn modification crossbar (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24666.0) you'll get none of the infamous Grado 'hop' in the grooves, no end-of-record distortion and commendable tracking, overall.

I have the prior generation AT440ML/OCC and the Grado trounces it (and every other cartridge I have up to $200.00).  I think, primarily, due to the damping...and a close second due to the Longhorn mod. The other cartridges I have sound sickly and anemic compared to the Grado....and I only have the Green model.  The Green is a little 'gritty'...but as you move up the Grado line that grittiness fades and you just get great music (when set up right).

Anyhow, that's my opinion - not that you asked for it  :oops:

Jampot

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2007, 09:51 am »
Where is Wayner when the AT needs pimping  er, a balanced contribution / comment :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Should be good - but I never had the V15 to be able to compare.

Also see here

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25561.msg282372#msg282372

Jim

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2007, 12:39 pm »
Here I am. Well I do have a Shure 97xe and I doesn't hold a candle to the AT440MLa. The AT tracks bettter, images better and has a better overall frequency balance. The V15 I have not heard. I'm told the V15 and the 97xe are very close in sound. If that's true, the 97 is the better buy. The stylus is still avalible for the V15, but not for long.

W

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2007, 04:13 pm »
I shoulda' added that I owned the (last one made) Shure V15....and it was among my least favorites owned teamed with my Thorens TD-316.  I just couldn't get it to swing. I'm only glad I paid $200.00 from J&R Music when they had it on sales a few years ago - not list of $350 or what not. 

The AT440ML/OCC is preferable to the Shure overall, for sure.......but, with fluid damped tonearm, the cheapie Grado Green makes everything else sound anemic in comparison.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2007, 05:24 pm »
Would that be an improvement or a step backwards??Regards Derockster

I would get an upper end older AT, not a 440.  They come now & then in eBay and NOS stylus are still available for reasonable prices.

I have an AT-15S and when compared to my Shure V15 III there are differences.  I would not say one is 'better'.  The Shure tracks real well, the AT has much better HF.  AT's exhibit  problems at retaining the diamond in the cantilever.  The Shure is definitely not for artificial soundstage enhancement fans.  Nonetheless, quite a few mastering labs still use Shure and Stanton for monitoring.  I prefer Stanton.