Sapphire II Tweeters

bertdw

Sapphire II Tweeters
« on: 8 Feb 2007, 05:25 pm »
Mike:

I still love my "old" Sapphire II and Sub I system, but lately I think I've noticed a slight dulling of the high frequencies, and a bit of cupped hands coloration on certain female vocals.  I thought replacing the tweeters with the T120ti might help.  Do you still have any lying around?

Thanks for your time,

Bert

Mike Dzurko

Re: Sapphire II Tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2007, 06:32 pm »
Bert:

I'll have to check  . . .  will get back to you latter today.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2007, 07:41 pm »
Bert:

That driver is no longer available.

The drop in replacement is the Focal TC120TD5. We
sell it for $89.00 ea + $5 s/h.

Currently out of stock, but once ordered the lead time
is usually about one week.

bertdw

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2007, 08:37 pm »
Thanks for the info, Mike.  When you say drop-in-replacement, do you mean physically and electrically, as in no changes to the crossover?  I don't remember the old T120 being 95 dB efficient.  But then, I don't remember a lot these days.   :duh:

Bert

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2007, 09:20 pm »
No changes to the crossover needed. I can't say I remember all the details as it has been a number of years now since we did the measurements and listening tests. . .  but I remember this piece is pretty darn close . . .

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2007, 09:41 pm »
Mike,

Geeeeeeez, I didn't think Focal tweeters (or any tweeter for that matter) aged with use.  I have heard that about ribbon ones but not others. So, what is the life expectancy of a tweeter played at normal levels say 25-30 hours a week?  Inquiring minds want to know.  lol

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2007, 04:23 pm »
Mike,

Geeeeeeez, I didn't think Focal tweeters (or any tweeter for that matter) aged with use.  I have heard that about ribbon ones but not others. So, what is the life expectancy of a tweeter played at normal levels say 25-30 hours a week?  Inquiring minds want to know.  lol

You're right, generally tweeters last a LONG time . . . probably 20-30 years or more . . . .