WTB: Horn Shoppe or similar

shload

WTB: Horn Shoppe or similar
« on: 8 Feb 2007, 04:50 pm »
Looking for used pair of Fostex or the like speakers, to try out in my system.
Thanks

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
the Shoppe too?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2007, 05:33 pm »
I thought you were looking to buy a company!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: WTB: Horn Shoppe or similar
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2007, 10:19 pm »

I have a pair of HornShopp clones.

These I built myself entirely out of baltic birch and am a licensed carpenter. We compared them to actual Hornshopps and could not tell any difference, and we can hear cable differences. Only thing I noticed was the clones imaged a bit better due to the narrower baffle.

Mine have the bottom and top cavities sand filled. They are using the Fostex 126 drivers. They have the dustcap mods done by kids, ie: pushed in.

I have greatly enjoyed my 3 years with them. It seems that is how long speakers last with me. They replaced a pair of NewForm Research 645s. When I played them for my wife she said, " Wow, they are real good. I think they sound better than the Newforms."

Here is a picture of them. http://www.scripturesongs.com/audio2.htm  and more fun http://www.scripturesongs.com/audio.htm

The CR Developements Kalypso amp is also for sale. It's in the audio.htm picture. Beautiful push/pull EL84 amp. 15 watts works great with the Hornshopps. I will sell it for $685.00 plus shipping.

I never thought I would sell them due the amount of loving care that went into them, but I plan on trying something different in the future. Not sure exactly what yet.

I will sell the Hornshopps for $485.00 plus shipping.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2007, 01:53 am by Rocket_Ronny »

eric the red

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:19 pm »
They are as good as Ron says; I know because I heard them. 

I introduced Ed's Horns to Ron by bringing them over to his house one day.  He was quite surprised by the huge sound stage and overall clarity of the Horns.  A few weeks later he disposed of his highly touted ribbon speakers.

We never did a side by side comparison but I don't believe Ron's Horns are unlike Ed's except in the cosmetics, weight and height.  I had to elevate my Horn's by putting them on concrete building blocks.  Ron made his 6" taller so he wouldn't have to resort to that.

Ron, does that price include the Bybee Quantum Filters?

John

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:01 am »

Actually we did do a side by side comparison in my living room. I remember hearing the difference in soundstage. This was quite a few years ago now. I think we have just had too many events to get them straight.

I did build mine lifted up to 36" but have since shortened them by 4". It does not change the speaker at all otherwise since the upper 30" of the speaker are built after the Hornshoppe design. This was just sitting on a 6" base if you will. So their height is now 32" verses hornshoppe's 30".

The bybees are not part of the deal.

Rocket_Ronny

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2007, 03:20 am »

Actually we did do a side by side comparison in my living room... This was quite a few years ago now. I think we have just had too many events to get them straight.

Why of course too many "events" - not enough straight! :smoke:

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2007, 12:37 pm »

The bybees are not part of the deal.

Rocket_Ronny

Can I ask how many bybees you used and where?  Was it one per speaker and was it on the binding post (guessing positive side if so) or directly on the speaker?  What kind of difference did it make?

Thinking about doing this and would just like to hear what others have experienced and what configuration they used.

Thanks,

Jim