dogberry

What do you think about this?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2003, 09:22 pm »
What do YOU think about it?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2003, 12:58 am »
This was tried before, it was called Divx, and it failed miserably, just like this one will.

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2003, 01:06 am »
While I agree that this will fail quickly it will probably be for a different reasons.  The big difference is that Divx disks needed a compatable player (I seem to remember that only Circuit City had them) to view them where as these are regular DVD disks that just oxidize.  I still don't like it.  I'v picked up several disks for 5-6 bucks in the past and I still have them where as if I had done a rental I would have wasted my money.

zachslc

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2003, 06:49 am »
What I wondered is if those kind of discs could ahve the same visual and sonic integrity (0s and 1s are just that...?) as conventional dvds, and when it "degrades" does it suddenly lose all functionality, or does it gradually decline in quality/trackability?

Truthfully I don't know a thing about dvds, I was just curious.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2003, 01:20 am »
They should use that for AOL CDs, only make it so that as soon as you open the package the disc becomes useless.

Wait, it works that way already... :P

jcoat007

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2003, 01:35 am »
Quote from: nathanm
They should use that for AOL CDs, only make it so that as soon as you open the package the disc becomes useless.

Wait, it works that way already... :P

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2003, 04:21 am »
I'm beginning to think that technology has been applied to CDs; I bought a used copy of Def Leppard's "Hysteria" to replace a badly worn one from the 80's, and once I thought to hold it up to the light- pinhole city. :(

I also bought a brand new CD a couple weeks ago pinholed right out of the box! :evil:

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:05 am »
Rob, that's someone telling you to stop buying CD's... :wink: :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:07 am »
You would say that, wouldn't you!  :nono:        :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The story would be a little different if it were LASERDISC ROT!!! :P

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:11 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
You would say that, wouldn't you!  :nono:        :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The story would be a little different if it were LASERDISC ROT!!! :P

LD rot? Bring it on!

I can deal with LD rot, that's one of the major bonuses of the HD LDP I bought last year. It reads right past LD rot... :mrgreen: :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2003, 09:13 am »
When your laserdiscs look like a hunk of Jarlsberg cheese then there ain't no error correction gonna fix that! :lol:

It does bother me when you see the pinholing and can monitor it over the course of 10 or 15 years.  Someday everything will be out of print or hard to find, and then that music/movie/photo/etc will be lost.  I guess I'm just an archivist at heart.