TUBE RECTIFIED SWL 9.0SE - YOU ASKED FOR IT AND YOU GOT IT!

modwright

SWL 9.0SE tube rectifier upgrade now available: $500 + shipping.

Okay guys, after much deliberation, we have decided to go ahead and make available, the tube-rectified power supply upgrade for the SWL 9.0SE.  We are doing this largely because it simply improves the performance of the 9.0SE a significant amount and we always want to offer an attractive upgrade path to all ModWright customers.

Two options available:

1) New SWL 9.0SE ('Signature Edition') tube linestages are now available through dealers for $2995 retail ($500 more than SWL 9.0 ('Special Edition').

2) Existing SWL 9.0SE ('Special Edition') units may be upgraded to include tube-rectified power supply for $500 + shipping both ways.

Details:

New SWL 9.0SE units will have the same faceplate.  The distinguishing feature will be the S/N on the back of the unit, to indicate that it is a 'Special Edition' vs. a 'Signature Edition'.  That and the fact that there is a big old tube in the power supply pretty much gives it away ;).

If you are interested in purchasing a new SWL 9.0SE ('Signature Edition') unit with tube-rectified supply, then please contact your nearest dealer.  If you have purchased your existing unit from a dealer, then please contact your dealer for upgrade.  The cost for the upgrade is $500 + shipping, both from our dealers and direct.

If you have purchased a used SWL 9.0SE ('Special Edition') and would like to have it upgraded, please contact us directly.  The cost to upgrade the unit to SWL 9.0SE ('Signature Edition') status = $500 + shipping.

The new tube-rectified supply uses a single 5AR4 tube rectifier (Sovtek).  The power supply has also been re-designed to include much better PSRR and voltage regulation, via constant current sources.  The combination of tube-rectifier and improved voltage regulation together make a BIG difference in the sound of the unit.

Sonically, the improvements include fuller body and midrange, improved bass response and a significant improvement in soundstage, presence and overall musicality.  I feel that the tube rectifier upgrade adds more 'tube' sound to the 9.0SE without detracting in any way from the unit's fantastic bass response, dynamics and sparkling highs.  The low noise floor is also maintained, if not improved upon.  There has already been quite a bit of commentary about the sonic benefits of the tube regulated power supply in our modified players in threads on this forum.

If you are interested in purchasing a new SWL 9.0SE ('Signature Edition'), then please contact your local dealer.

If you are looking to upgrade an existing SWL 9.0SE ('Special Edition')  that you have purchased from an authorized dealer, then please contact your dealer to schedule the upgrade.

All other existing SWL 9.0SE owners, please contact ModWright direct to schedule an upgrade to your SWL 9.0SE.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: TUBE RECTIFIED SWL 9.0SE - YOU ASKED FOR IT AND YOU GOT IT!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2007, 03:39 pm »
This is great news Dan. I know I have been receing inquiries about the availability of the SWL with tube rectification. Not everyone wants or need vinyl but they cannow have that glorious sound that many are experiencing with the SWLP with TR.

Bravo!

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2007, 05:02 pm »
I want to be able to offer an attractive upgrade path for all of our customers.  It is understood that not everyone does vinyl.  This really is the IDEAL upgrade for the 9.0SE.

Thanks,

Dan

koiman

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2007, 05:43 pm »
Dan,
With this upgrade to the SWL 9.0 SE is the tube in the unit or is it in a separate case.
Thanks,
Lee

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2007, 09:10 pm »
The tube rectifier is inside the unit.  The tube is installed in the tube supply, on the tube circuit board.  The upgrade involves replacing the entire power supply circuit and adding a filament transformer for the rectifier tube, but this is all done in-board.

Thanks,

Dan

Normanality

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2007, 11:18 pm »
Dan, you just love spending my money don't you!  :icon_lol:

I'm not sure mine should be upgraded though.
Mine has the Blackgate power supply upgrade and the twin Sowter output transformers.

It's really smoothe in this configuration.

Will the tube rectified PS really be an improvement over the mods you've already done to mine?

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:23 pm »
The tube rectifier upgrade will simply add more body, fullness and an organic quality to the music that is hard to fully explain.  It is simply a more musical sound.  Someone else said that it puts 'meat on the bones' of the music and that is a very accurate description.  I feel personally that it is at least a 20% improvement in the units performance.  Those who know me also know that I tend to be pretty conservative in these estimations.

Just let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Dan

tl1000sv

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2007, 10:32 pm »
Just got off the phone with you Dan;

thanks for clarifying that the Blackgates and the Bybees in my SWL are retained even after the tube rectified power supply upgrade.

I've been watching the threads on the SWLP with some envy - offering this upgrade path to your SWL customers is a great move.

Mine's on the way!

Tim

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2007, 04:15 am »
Thanks Tim.  I want to continuously offer attractive, and cost-effective upgrade paths for all of our customers.  I feel that the tube rectifier upgrade is just too good to save only for the phono and LS 36.5 units :).

Take care,

Dan

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2007, 04:58 am »
Dan
Your sound at THE Show in Las Vegas January was fantastic.  Both the 9.0 & the 36.5 preamps were knockouts.  As killer as the 9.0 sounded the 36.5 was worth every extra penny.

It's great that you decided to offer the tube rectifier upgrade for the 9.0 after all. 

Congratulations!

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2007, 01:02 pm »
Thanks, I agree that it makes sense.  The 36.5 is coming next and while it is more money, it IS the next step up in our line.

Take care,

Dan

jkm

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2007, 05:44 pm »
Hi Dan,

I'll probably go for this upgrade this year and am wondering if there is an option to switch faceplates to a different colour at the same time, and if so, what the cost is?

Thanks,

James

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2007, 04:16 pm »
We do offer the Blue and Black faceplates with silver paint infill, for $350.

Thanks,

Dan W.