LRC - Out in the open or on top of equipment rack.

shokunin

« on: 14 Jul 2003, 09:25 am »
I'm pondering on whether or not to build a small stand for the LRC to place it in the middle of the room or build it into the wall (4' wide 2' deep 8' tall cutout).   If it's out in the open, has anyone built a stand to place it right under a screen in a front-projection system?  The LRC will be placed right smack in the middle of the RM40's.  If recessed into the wall, it'll be at least 2.5' behind the RM40's, making a slighty more optimum position.  

Note, that although it's in the wall, it'll be sitting on top of a very short equipment stand and slightly above it will be a maple shelf with 2 amplifiers on it.

Thanks

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2003, 02:11 am »
I would opt for the stand in front of the screen.  I just ordered a Sound Anchor (adjustable height) center stand for a client and it looks like it would work just fine.

Look here: http://www.soundanchors.com/page74.html

Placing it in the wall or even sitting on a shelf or ledge can affect the sound if the front of the speaker is not flush with or in front of the shelf/ledge.

EMC

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2003, 12:31 pm »
I agree with John.

That's the exact center-channel stand I use for my LRC. I think it was designed for the B&W HTM-1. I think I may end up using the one they designed for the Aerial Acoustics CC-5 instead.

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2003, 03:14 am »
Hello Shokunin,
When I first put the LRC in the room I tried putting it on a super-heavy duty shelf bracketed bolted to the wall (supposed to be able to hold something like 600 pounds). Unfortunately, the weight and vibration of the LRC resulted in a catastrophic failure  :o . I should have known better  :oops:

I then built this stand which works really well for me:

Basically made from 3.5" PVC and 3/4 MDF. Since I have all the tools it took me about 2 hours to make. I cut 3.5" MDF plugs that fit into the top and bottom of the PVC. A few hidden countersunk wood screw hold everything together. The PVC is filled with about 80 pounds of sand so these stands are very heavy with no resonance that I have noticed. The LRC sits on a thin, non-skid rubber pad to reduce potential wood to wood rattling. The round columns also potentially act as a diffuser, which may be a slight benefit in some rooms. I originally thought about integrating the equipment rack into it but wasn't sure if the directly transfered vibrations would effect my SACD player.

One of the potential issues I thought of with my current setup was the tweeter signal bouncing off the top of the equipment rack. I tried several tests by adding dampening material, moving the rack, etc but was able to hear no change in clarity from the LCR (it always sounded fantastic  :D ). I ended up leaving it in the current location since it is convenient and allows me to keep all my interconnects and cables as short as possible.      

If you want a more detailed picture of the stands or better instructions on how to make it, please let me know.

Julian
www.sedonaksysound.com

shokunin

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2003, 03:51 pm »
Thanks for the responses!!  With my daughter nearly walking now and acting like cat scratching the grill cloth on my rm40's, I'm wondering what to do regarding the rest of the HT setup.  Kid-proofing was my main concern and my wife actually thought it'd look nice if we didn't have an LRC out in the room since it'd end up at a perfect level for her to play with the LRC.

The only downside is the Largish LRC would be sitting right smack in front of the equipment rack.  I'd have to move it to access the gear behind it (VCR, DVD, etc..)  Might be too much of a PITA, but we'll see.

However, looks like I'll rethink that idea, since I haven't ordered the LRC yet I'll have some time to ponder what might work best.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2003, 03:55 pm »
Julian,

I have actually thought of doing something very similar for my TT.  Great minds think alike!

Josh