Advice on 32" HDTV 720p LCD televisions

Occam

Advice on 32" HDTV 720p LCD televisions
« on: 3 Feb 2007, 07:02 pm »
I've ordered a SAMSUNG LN-S3251D for bedroom viewing, principally in a low ambient light environment. I want to put it in a bookcase, so plasma is out.
I just realized that I could get any of the following, for the same price -
 TOSHIBA 32HL66
 SONY KDL-32S2010
 SHARP LC-32D42U

Any compelling reasons for switching from the Samsung to any of the 3 others?
Does the Sharp Aquos' reputation and 6000:1 vs 4000:1 contrast ratio merit a switch in choice?

TIA,
Paul

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Advice on 32" HDTV 720p LCD televisions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2007, 10:40 pm »
Paul,

I just got this el cheapo from Costco http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11171198&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001382&Mo=16&pos=1&No=12&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3316&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav= and hung it up on a wall in my kitchen.  It only has 1200:1 contrast and I see just fine in dark.  The picture is pretty darned good too just from digital coax into the QAM input without a set top box.  I can't imagine 4000:1 or 6000:1 will make a difference -- both should be just fine. 

tybee

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2007, 01:12 am »
You can also pick up a Toshiba 32HLC56 for under $800.00 in many places now.  This is a 32" monitor only which means you will need a cable box as a tuner.  You will also need a source and speakers (receiver & speakers) for audio.  There is a long thread on another forum that outlines this products strengths, including a great picture.

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2007, 04:04 am »
Thanks Gents!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2007, 05:47 am »
That's a fine set- you should be really happy with it.  I've considered getting one myself, mostly for gaming. 

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2007, 07:13 am »
Hey!

Occam, I've been happy with my 27" Olevia LCD here. :D I bought my from local store here in NYC and have seen it side by side with other like Samsung and Sony. The picture was great and the price is significantly less so I went for the Olevia.

As for the contrast... in theory and technically set with higher contrast ratio  could resolve the differnce shades of the image or tonal range better than the lower one... think of the gray scale here in photography. Anyway, my Olevia set got 1600:1 contrast and even that I'm very impress with it... especially when I hook up my Apple PowerBook to it and display my photos on it. :D Oh! yes DVD and regular cable look great too... impressive. :D

Well, you know now I could have had a 32" Olevia for the same price I paid for the 27" 8 months ago :?

Anyway, the only downside about Olevia that I could see is the reliability because the company is very new. But so far so good. And will I buy another Olevia? Yes... I'm planning to get a 32" or 37" set for my living room in the future. :D

So, check it out... there are lot of them at Target 
 And here is the link to the.... Olevia

Of cause if my set go bust I will let you guys know for sure.... but so far so good. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

texasphile

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2007, 07:50 am »
A warning for all of you flat panel television owners!

Quit throwing your Wii remote at it!  The remote will live, your set won't.

Did I mention I have a High Def CRT (all 278 pounds of it)?

I am kidding, although at least one lady did kill her plasma TV that way...

Chris

A decent rule of thumb.
LCD = better resolution
Plasma = better grayscale

zacster

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2007, 03:48 pm »
I picked up a cheap 32" Westinghouse just yesterday at J&R for 699 as a bedroom set.  So far so good, but I've only watched for about 1/2 an hour yesterday.  Today of course will be devoted to ice skating in the evening. :lol:

Considering how much I paid for my 27" xbr tube set 15 years ago (and still going strong) how can you go wrong with anything these days.