Is there a clone doctor in the house?

albee

Is there a clone doctor in the house?
« on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:16 pm »
For kicks I just got a gainclone off an auction site and have a few questions.  First off, this is my first foray into  non-Tripath Class D.  This unit is rather rough on the outside and supposedley cranks out 30 watts into 8 ohms.  The first thing I noticed was a hum coming through my speakers.  Now, I use Klipsch and even though it sounds fairly prominent within a foot it can't be heard from my "position" or when program materia is playing.  Question One:  what is the most common cause for hum or noise?  Power supply?  Lack of shielding?  Etc?  The next thing is the unit is very warm sounding.  It's a good thing I have tone controls on my preamp because it took liberal adjustments to get the sound where I like it.  Question Two:  What causes the overly warm signature?  Is it component selection?  Circuit layout?  The actual chips used?  Unfortunately, I cannot tell you the chips although it does have the "standard" plexi top.

With the liberal application of tone controls (minus bass, plus treble) I have got a remarkably nice, punchy, and detailed sound.  I LIKE IT!  I have never heard warm, punch, and detail at the same time!  Usually warm and detail are exclusive but not here.

This amp is pretty much a garage job but it shows me the true potential of what lies in chips.  It is much more powerful and smoother sounding than any Tripaths I've heard--but, I've not heard expensive modified Tripaths to be fair.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to look for in my next bargain-class chip amp purchase?  Which particular chips and power supplies that seem to be the best balanced?

ohenry

Re: Is there a clone doctor in the house?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:46 pm »
There are some things you could try to diminish noise such as shielding the input wires and keeping the power wires away from the amp board and wires (stuff you already know).  You may want to experiment with temporary partitioning of the enclosure to help shield the audio section from the transformer(s).  If you dislike the case, you may consider putting the power supply and audio sections in separate boxes with an umbilical.  Pictures would help if you can do that.

I don't know why you have the overly warm characteristic, does the amp use input caps that flavor the tone?  The Class D board over at the DIY forum has more than you'd ever want to read regarding implementing these chips, but a word search may help manage that voluminous mess.

For the future, I (and most class D folks) like Peter Daniel's designs from Audiosector.  His finished products and kits provide some of the best chip amp sound IMO.  Power supplies are important and Peter tends to use/recommend Plitron transformers and Blackgates caps in his premium amps.

Enjoy your new amp, I bet you can make it better.

albee

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:19 pm »
Thanks, ohenry!

Besides punch, warmth, and depth, I was surprised at how grain-free it sounded on the topend in comparison to anything else I have around the house and in the closet.  As I said, this is a garage job but it is very, very listenable.  I'll definitely be kicking around some info and other amps in the future.

albee

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2007, 02:51 am »
Aha, I noticed I have a noisy torodial!  I can hear it from a foot away.

Scotty

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2007, 07:40 pm »
albee, If you have a real GainClone amp it is a 100% analogue amplifier.
GainClone amps are typically based on one of 3 National Semiconductor chips, the
LM3886,LM3875,and the LM4780.
See links:  http://audiosector.com/
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3886.html
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3875.html
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4780.html

I am using a custom chip amp based on the LM4780, it has a 500watt toroidal transformer with a total of 40,000mfd of Jensen capacitors in it's power supply.
This gives you 60watts per channel into 8ohms and 120 watts per channel into 4ohms. I love the sound of the amp or more precisely it's lack of a sonic signature. The amp sounds like the music that is put into it, not tube like and not SS either.
Scotty