So who will be the first to try this...?

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
So who will be the first to try this...?
« on: 30 Jan 2007, 06:04 pm »
After hearing what OB5's can do I was thinking of such designs and remembered seeing this:
http://www.solen.ca/ (look under "Fostex" and Recommended Designs") "Tall Boy Type Bass Reflex Enclosure"
Looks very cool. Mids and highs covered by 4 fostex "full range" drivers run in parallel. The only crossover divides mid/high from the bass.

It has a potential to maximize benefits of the small fostex driver and the OB.

JohninCR

Re: So who will be the first to try this...?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2007, 10:38 pm »
I'm actually contemplating something similar with my 4 pairs of 108ez's, but without boxing the bass.  I'm testing an idea about waveguides on some OB arrays first, which could apply to the 108 project.  16 of those FF85's would make for impressive OB line arrays as a go for the gusto type project.

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2007, 01:11 am »
I'm actually contemplating something similar with my 4 pairs of 108ez's, but without boxing the bass.  I'm testing an idea about waveguides on some OB arrays first, which could apply to the 108 project.  16 of those FF85's would make for impressive OB line arrays as a go for the gusto type project.

that's true. 16 of ff85's wouldn't even cost that much ($720)

If you do your Fe108ez line array project, I would very much be interested how it turns out. I think it has potential:)

JohninCR

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:40 am »
Rafal,

I forgot to mention per side, so I'd need 32. :green:

I'm playing around with trying to achieve constant directivity.  If I get something reasonable and like the CD sound, then the 108 gig would be less like a line array and more of a front and rear loaded midhorn, similar front and back, but no horn loading in the response.  If it works, it should be perfect for my little Decware SETs that love low impedance.  Lots of info and pics coming soon.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2007, 07:39 pm »
I am going to try this in the future, love the full range Fostex, but may opt for different woofers that extend lower :thumb: