TAAS Amp Comparo - How did the Odyssey Mono Extremes do.....

Spirit

• Volunteer
The Toronto Area Audio Society (TAAS) conducted an Amp Comparo (shootout) over the last 2 days (Sat and Sun).  I attended the Saturday event.
I invite you to read my full post about this event posted on a separate thread
titled "Amp Comparo '07 - Saturday Edition".
All amps were referred to by number only and the names of the amps were only revealed at the end of the day.
During the all-day listening sessions to my ears one amp was clearly far superior to any other amp I heard.  As a matter of fact, after the playlist concluded for this amp the TAAS member sitting next to me looked at me and we both uttered something like "Wow" and "holy s...".  It was that good.
Here are comments that I wrote about "Amp #121":
Great!
In a complete league of its own!
Excellent Vocals!
Smooth with great bass!
And which amp was #121?
Odyssey Monoblock Extremes!!!!!
And why am I so excited?
Because they are mine!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine how y'all would feel if you were able to discern that one amp was clearly your favourite and it ended up being your amp!
Klaus, I am thrilled beyond belief.
I don't even remember driving the car home! I was running on Odyssey fumes.
Well done, my man.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2007, 11:50 pm by Spirit »

bunky

Re: TAAS Amp Comparo - How did the Odyssey Mono Extremes do.....
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2007, 11:41 pm »
The Toronto Area Audio Society (TAAS) conducted an Amp Comparo (shootout) over the last 2 days (Sat and Sun).  I attended the Saturday event.
I invite you to read my full post about this event posted on a separate thread
titled "Amp Comparo '07 - Saturday Edition".
All amps were referred to my number only and the names of the amps were only revealed at the end of the day.
During the all-day listening sessions to my ears one amp was clearly far superior to any other amp I heard.  As a matter of fact, after the playlist concluded for this amp the TAAS member sitting next to me looked at me and we both uttered something like "Wow" and "holy s...".  It was that good.
Here are comments that I wrote about "Amp #121":
Great!
In a complete league of its own!
Excellent Vocals!
Smooth with great bass!
And which amp was #121?
Odyssey Monoblock Extremes!!!!!
And why am I so excited?
Because they are mine!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine how y'all would feel if you were able to discern that one amp was clearly your favourite and it ended up being you amp!
Klaus, I am thrilled beyond belief.
I don't even remember driving the car home! I was running on Odyssey fumes.
Wee done, my man.

Why am i not at all suprised ? :lol: Enjoy....WCW III

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:14 am »
For those interested please go the following thread:
Amp Comparo '07 - Saturday Edition
and read Yorgi's comments.

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2007, 10:28 pm »
Spirit, where exactly is this thread?  Link?

ditto on the mono extremes.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:38 pm »
Spirit, where exactly is this thread?  Link?

ditto on the mono extremes.
Randy:
Here you go:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=36452.0

jreinhart

The Stratos Mono Extremes SEs that I have are by far the best amplifiers at resolving detail that I have ever heard.  They are the only units that are capable of delineating the sonic signatures of instruments on the sound stage of different makes.  It doesn't matter what speakers I use, whether Pro-Ac SC1 nearfield monitors or Quad 989s.  Instrument makers go a long ways in making their products sound a particular way, even within companies such as Steinway, Bosendorfer, Conn, Bach, Besson...(take a look at the Wikipedia for all the makes and sizes!).  Each instrument has their own website dedicated to their instrument too.  I have connected the amplifiers directly to some very high performance SACD players and to Phono amps to a precision volume control from Goldpoint and have not heard anything come close to the resolution, harmonics and timbre that these amps can produce.  Looking inside each amplifier is a good indication of why the sound is so good as the engineering effort up front has paid off by making a product with quality components that use only what is needed when matched components are used.  Klaus, I hope you continue to build them this well.

I was luck enough to have listened to live music since I was 6, played in the school band through high school and played nearly every instrument and maker.  Their are many makers of equipment that cost in the stratosphere but sound like garbage and are poorly laid out.  That is definitely not the case with these units.  Unfortunately, the high end of audio has met the flat earth society and retro is the rage.  Why some people love to listen to glassware @ 5-80% distortion is beyond me.

I have talked with John Marchand and contacted Linkwitz Labs for a bi or tri-amp configuration for single ended amplifiers such as the Stratos and they are enthused.  Another company which will remain nameless has done what they can to justify using poor quality components when I spoke with them and unfortunately I own their product.  A pair of Khartago mono units would work well for the bass end and I hope that they are still available as it would make a fantastic combination with the bass units being somewhat more efficient and needing less power but would have the full damping factor for a low end that could only be bettered by an inspired live performance.

Spirit

• Volunteer
I have talked with John Marchand and contacted Linkwitz Labs for a bi or tri-amp configuration for single ended amplifiers such as the Stratos and they are enthused.  Another company which will remain nameless has done what they can to justify using poor quality components when I spoke with them and unfortunately I own their product.  A pair of Khartago mono units would work well for the bass end and I hope that they are still available as it would make a fantastic combination with the bass units being somewhat more efficient and needing less power but would have the full damping factor for a low end that could only be bettered by an inspired live performance.
Welcome to the Circle!
Can you explain further how you could utilize the Odyssey line in a bi/tri manner.
I have never tried this kind of amp configuaration and would be interested in how one could do this practically.
Thanks

Lkdog

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2007, 06:35 am »
Great to hear. I have a pair of Mono Extremes that will be ready this month.