Please do not ship FedEX to me!

avahifi

Please do not ship FedEX to me!
« on: 25 Jan 2007, 11:55 pm »
If you ship a unit to me for upgrade or repair, please please please do not use FedEx.

They simply dump the packages on my front porch and run away.

Today the dumb ass driver dumped a 75 pound box 4 x 4 x 4 foot square box and rang the doorbell and ran away. By the time I got to the door he was almost to the truck.  I shouted to him to come back and help me get the monster into the house, he ignored me got in the truck and drove away.

This is simply terrible service!

If you ship FedEx to me you have a huge chance of loosing the equipment because they always dump it on my front porch whether I am home or not, and there it sits, ready for anyone going by to pick up and help themselves to great audio equipment.

Please ship insured UPS.  They take care of our equipment very well.

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

AB

Re: Please do not ship FedEX to me!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2007, 12:11 am »

FedEx does not require a signature now unless the shipper specifically requests it so boxes get left at doors.

There are three ways to request a signature, Indirect Signature, Direct Signature and Adult Signature. Unfortunately this costs a bit and it can be a hassle too.  Indirect means a neighbor or your pool guy can sign. Direct means someone at the address must sign or a note is left and delivery is re attempted. Adult Signature means someone over the age of 21 WITH an ID must sign.

I would ask your customers to request a direct signature. At least then your FedEx driver won't be able to run away until after you've asked him to help with the box.  :wink:

Also, a large declared value will automatically require a direct signature.

The problem is/was drivers were spending too much time chasing a signature for every package.

It's all about making 600+ deliveries in an 8 hour day. I know I couldn't do it.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:05 am »
I also currently have problems with Fedex.  The tracking said that it was delivered in the front door but I have not seen any box? :dunno:

So I am waiting for Fedex to get me more information as to where my shipment went.  Who is at fault here?  Fedex or Shipper. 

Tracking said that shipper did not request signature.

AB

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:23 am »
Levi,
Your best bet is to speak directly with your local route's driver. There is a good chance he will remember your package or any weirdness about the delivery.

But...
There have been many news articles lately about thefts of door drop deliveries. It seems people are following UPS and FedEx trucks until they see a door dropped package and then steal it. Maybe folks have read the articles and we have copy cat thieves now?

In one case of a door drop delivery gone missing, I had shipped a package, it was "left at the door" but the recipient never received it. After much back and forth with FedEx I finally spoke to the driver who "always dropped packages in the same place at that address". And where was that? "Right next to the trash cans by the side gate." Well, you can guess what happened... it was trash day.

I was impressed - FedEx coughed up for that one.

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:29 am »
Thanks. Let shall see what Fedex has to say.  You know New York City, there are lots of opportunists.

CE2

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:40 am »
 :scratch:  I have NEVER had a problem with UPS, DHL, or FEDEX.  Fedex GROUND Home delivery is a separate operation from Fedex 1,2,3 day.  Notice the trucks are different color?  I prefer no signature required, it makes for me geting the stuff first attempt.  My local drivers are all great, they know the area, no problems ever so far .  Fedex Ground doesn't hold for pickup like 1,2,3 different depots. If they can't deliver, with UPS or Fedex standard, you call they will hold for pickup UPS does for Ground.  UPS ain't open Saturday at the depot, Fedex is.  All good, sometimes it's the local driver at the time for any issues,. I've seen my local UPS guy stop back when he didn't know i was home to put a pkg in a plastic bag when he thought it was gonna rain after he delievered it earlier!!! THAT'S SERVICE!!!  All 3 are great actually.   That wasn't my Omega III for credit was it?   

Night_Train

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2007, 02:08 pm »
If you ship a unit to me for upgrade or repair, please please please do not use FedEx.

Please ship insured UPS.  They take care of our equipment very well.

UPS is a big, steaming pile.....!

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2007, 02:32 pm »
The problem with UPS is the manner in which they unload the trucks....I don't mean the little brown ones at your curbside, I mean the big 18-wheel semis that are unloaded at 3am. I used to work for them, and I can tell you that it's not pretty. I'm reluctant to send anything valuable through them, cause God forbid my package ends up at the top of the truck. When they unload them, they basically have the trucks park on a decline so that when you enter the back to unload it, you have a crapload of packages just ready to drop on top of your head. It's sort of like the game Jenga....if you pull the wrong one, you're going to get an avalanche.

I still prefer DHL, myself...they've always delivered my packages in pristine condition.

CE2

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2007, 02:53 pm »
 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:PROPER PACKAGING IS KEY!!!  So the stuff doesn't get damaged.  Of course that doesn't help for what Frank is talking about.  I've been lucky over the years , never had a problem ever. Now I just jinxed it.

dejected bubba

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:50 pm »
ups does the same thing. they throw it on the porch ring the doorbell and leave if i know I am getting a package I make sure someone is home. Once I came out and an unknown person was coming up my sidewalk and he turned and ran away, if I had been in the bathroom my package would have been going down the road. as far as speed of delivery goes the good old post office is faster than any of them by a good 2 or three days from the west coast to Michigan!

bluewax

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:47 pm »

I'm pretty certain any insurance placed on a Fedex package requires signature, but it's hit or miss as to whether drivers will follow through with the requirement. Cheers, bw   

Thanks. Let shall see what Fedex has to say.  You know New York City, there are lots of opportunists.

daveshel

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:12 pm »
Fedex isn't as good as they used to be, but they are still better than UPS. Neither is currently getting signatures as a matter of course. Adding insurance forces a signature with either, and now with fedex you can specify a signature for an additional charge.

UPS may be better if you are a business and see the same driver at the same time every day, but I believe fedex is more in tune with the needs of the residential customer. UPS drivers are company employees who are in constant communication with HQ, but they are under tremendous pressure and cannot make personal accommodations. Fedex drivers are independent contractors with more autonomy, and this can cut both ways. I have developed a bit of a relationship with the fedex driver that services my area, and I get pretty good service. But based on my experience with UPS over the last 10 years, I would never ship anything I cared about via UPS. I don't want to go into the litany of problems I have had, but suffice it to say I'd be an idiot if I ignored the lessons I have learned in trying to make UPS work for me.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2007, 01:27 am »
I've had both good and bad experiences with both UPS and Fedex, but it seems to me that if Frank's experience in his location teaches him to request UPS only, that we need to comply.  It is an inconvenience for me, because the Fedex office is 2 miles away, and the UPS is 10.  This is, however, a minor inconvenience compared to having the equipment you are sending disappear.

nathanm

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:11 pm »
My personal fantasy is that shippers would make residential deliveries at night.  You know, when people are actually home to sign for things.  I'd be interested to know how many people actually have packages delivered to their residences and are present when they show up.  If you work 1st shift I don't see how it's possible.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:26 pm »
You can request that - for an additional fee. 

Bryan