Anyone update to Slimserver 6.5.1 yet?

Thump553

Anyone update to Slimserver 6.5.1 yet?
« on: 25 Jan 2007, 11:27 pm »
I did it over the weekend, got a dll error on the install and it would not work.  Full delete, reboot and try again, same result.  Fortunately everything was fine when I went back to 6.5.0.

I'm running Win2k.  Probably of note is that I think my sons have somehow corrupted my operating system.  They claim they can't play games anymore (boo hoo) and I notice the system does run slow.  Full virus scan, spyware scan and removal, don't turn up anything.

PhilNYC

Re: Anyone update to Slimserver 6.5.1 yet?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2007, 11:49 pm »
I updated to 6.5.1 on MacOS last weekend and haven't really noticed much difference...

Upstateaudio

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:02 am »
I updated to 6.5.1 on MacOS last weekend and haven't really noticed much difference...

Same here.

spacedghost

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2007, 12:16 pm »
Running 6.5.1 on XP installed over the weekend, no problems.

Shaun

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2007, 02:14 pm »
HI, I have tried 6.5.x on Mac OSX recently. While it ran fine, it would not play ALAC files encoded using Max. Since then I have reverted to a previous version but I don't have the version handy.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:09 pm »
I installed it and was thrilled to see the on-unit volume scale now goes to 100 instead of 40, and the in-browser interface goes to 11.  Now that's progress! :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:43 pm »
Running 6.5.1 on XP installed over the weekend, no problems.

Shaun

Same...actually ran it as daily (beta) for past two weeks without incident, then upgraded to production fine as well.

tonyptony

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2007, 12:35 am »
I've heard that the database structure for 6.5.x is significantly different than earlier versions, and is makes for noticeably slower software performance. Anyone confirm if this is true?

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2007, 01:43 pm »
I guess that means the problem is localized to my computer-I was afraid as much.  I have an upgrade version of Vista coming in the near future, probably is time for a reformat and clean install.

As far as 6.5.x reportedly being slower, I have not noticed that at all with 6.5.0.  In fact, it seems to sort as fast or faster than previous versions I used.

tonyptony

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2007, 01:53 pm »
Hmm, guess I'll give it a try. I'll let you know if it goes smoothly for me.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2007, 02:49 pm »
I've heard that the database structure for 6.5.x is significantly different than earlier versions, and is makes for noticeably slower software performance. Anyone confirm if this is true?

I certainly haven't noticed any degradation since upgrading, and with the bug fixes and other enhancements, I see no reason not to upgrade.  Only caveat is that some folks have run into issues with remnants of older slimserver versions.  Seems a complete uninstall, and clean reinstall, solves those issues.  Just remember to write down all your slimserver preferences, as you'll need to re-enter them after the new install.  I wish Slimserver offered a "save preferences" option, but I guess they can't as each upgrade introduces new features.

avta

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:38 pm »
I'm using it in a Mac based system with good results.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:42 pm »
I am running XP Pro, and just did the upgrade - it initially did not work (duh, have to close the existing version, before initiating the upgrade procedure), but once the dunce behind the keyboard got out of the way, no problem at all.

I was running V15 firmware, and now have the V72.  That requires me to invert the phase, as my Bolder modded SB3 does that.  I will wait for the return of my Bolder PS, and Felicia power conditioner, before trying to sort out IF there is a difference in the firmware sound.

As for convenience, the V72 is nice - I can use the s/w on the server to reduce the overall gain, and the 100 steps of volume offer much better fine control - I was using 7-20 on the V15 firmware, and now can use around 60-85, depending on the song.

gitarretyp

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:49 pm »
I upgraded to 6.5.1 last night but kept FW V15. It looks like have volume gradations from 0-100 is server based because i have them using FW V15. So, for those that want more control but like the old FW, you should upgrade.

tonyptony

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2007, 09:22 pm »
Reporting back in. Looks like 6.5.1 install went just fine on my XP Pro SP2 platform.

mcgsxr, apart from the polarity issue do you have any sense of whether v.72 can finally be considered as "audiophile-quality" as v.15?

hum4god

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2007, 10:21 pm »
i am still running version 6.2.1 with the v15 FW , and to be honest i needed a lot of help from a friend to get everything installed properly.

what would be the benefit with the new version?

how does fw 72 differnt to 15  ?

if there is a true benefit i might get together with my friend and ask him for another big favour....

thanks
malcolm

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:42 am »
tonyptony - at the moment it is not easy to tell.  I have lent 2 pieces of my gear to a local guy (DayglowOrange) and so I am still adjusting to hearing my system without the Felicia balanced power unit, and the Bolder Rev 1 with Jensen caps PS for the SB3.

Having pulled those 2 pieces out, my soundstage has slimmed down, has compressed, and honestly, it is less like music, and more like a sound system again.

I swapped out the firmware, for kicks, as I love the idea of a more "fluid" volume control, compared to using 7-10 for regular listening with V15, I am using 60-85 with 10dB of control through the server s/w, with V72.

Once I get the gear back in the system, I will use mgalusha's firmware s/w, and try flipping it in and out, at similar volume, to see what I think.