Transporter versus full modded Squeeze Box

Eugene2

Transporter versus full modded Squeeze Box
« on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:53 pm »
Trying to understand the Squeeze Box.  Went on the Slim Devices website and would like anyone with experience to explain the pros and cons of Transporter versus Bolder modded Squeezebox.  Would it pay to go to Transporter or obtain a Squeeze Box and having max mod installed.  How close would a full mod Squeeze Box come to the Transporter? Will Bolder also mod the Transporter, if so what are the benefits?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Transporter versus full modded Squeeze Box
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:58 pm »
Trying to understand the Squeeze Box.  Went on the Slim Devices website and would like anyone with experience to explain the pros and cons of Transporter versus Bolder modded Squeezebox.  Would it pay to go to Transporter or obtain a Squeeze Box and having max mod installed.  How close would a full mod Squeeze Box come to the Transporter? Will Bolder also mod the Transporter, if so what are the benefits?

If you do a little searching you will see that there are quite a threads covering the questions you posed.

You will also see that different people have different opinions.

It would also depend on what you need and how you will use the SB or Transporter.

Personally, I think Wayne's best SB + Ultimate II PS is significantly better than a stock transporter, at almost the same price point.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:08 pm »
Will Bolder also mod the Transporter, if so what are the benefits?

Good question, Wayne?

I am confused just by the 20 choices on the Bolder website.  Personally I prefer the look of the TP as the SB is just plain ugly.  So in my rack I would prefer the TP or else I would have to fabricate a panel with a cutout and sink the SB in to "sex it up" some.  Either way I can't read the display across the room so that will be a pain as well.

Really not sure I need the power supply upgrade but it seems it can be added anytime?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:42 pm »
There are a couple schools of thought to the Slim Devices mods.  One, held by Anthony and RAM and others, says that the Transporter is a better "platform" or foundation to begin modding services.  It has better dacs and a more solid analog foundation.  It was clearly built by SD to a different price point, and to address "audiophile needs" by including digital inputs, balanced connectors, etc.  The TP modders will argue that it doesn't make sense to add $1k worth of mods to a $300 platform.  The downside of this Transporter mod school of thought is that were now talking $2800+ for a version 1 product.

The other school, clearly led to date by Wayne at Boulder (and Vinnie at RWA for a short time) is that the Squeezebox is priced perfectly as a stock platform, and that many of the "mods" are frankly evolutionary and can be done without a real critical path; ie. buy better outboard power supplies when you have the cash.  The internal mods are wholesale changes to obvious price-point ingredients and "no-brainers" when it comes to modding.  The resultant product price is less than a stock TP and has proven to be its equal or better, sonically.  It's footprint is great for home systems, and can also be used for secondary headphone/bedroom/office systems, especially if looked at with a lower-end linear ps upgrade. 

Me, I've heard both, as per above, and although I'd venture to say a max'd out modded TP would sound great, I'm not sure I want to spend $3k on a version 1 product in such a growing competitive sub-industry as computer-as-source.   Both schools make sense, neither invalidates the other.  It's all about choices, and timing.

Ted

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:57 pm »
OKay, good info.  But which mod to start with?  Analog only or analog and digital mods for flexibility?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:59 pm »
Excellent synopsis of this controversial topic!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:19 pm »
OKay, good info.  But which mod to start with?  Analog only or analog and digital mods for flexibility?

Depends on how you want to use it.

I went with digital mods only for over a year as I was feeding my TacT preamp/dac.

Now I use one with analog mods directly into my amp.

The analog version gives me the best digital front end I have had in my system!!

Either way, mods can be added pretty easily. 

Equally important is the upgraded PS.  DO NOT even think of spending the money on the major analog mods without also getting the Ultimate II PS.  If you don't get the Ultimate II PS, you will never truly hear what the modified SB is capable of.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:56 pm »

If sending in for a mod, do both, IMO.  Saves costs, time and shipping fees.  Better/cheaper outboard DACs will be delivered down the line, and in the meantime a good analog mod, along with a good linear PS (Ultimate II being the ultimate so far) will sound incredible. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:32 pm »
Agreed, I went with the full mods, so that I would be able to leverage differing system configurations, in the future.

Double Ugly

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:35 pm »
The analog version gives me the best digital front end I have had in my system!!
The man knows whereof he speaks. 

System allowing, connecting your source (be it a SB, Transporter or other) directly to your amp(s) will produce the best, cleanest, most organic sound this side of a live venue IME.  When I find a component - specifically a preamp - that will not degrade my system's current performance, I'll happily leave it in my system.  Till then, I'm a single-source kind of guy.

Equally important is the upgraded PS.  DO NOT even think of spending the money on the major analog mods without also getting the Ultimate II PS.  If you don't get the Ultimate II PS, you will never truly hear what the modified SB is capable of.
Having traveled this path not once but twice, I couldn't agree more.  Going from a 'basic' power supply (Rev 1?) to an 'Ultimate' was a jaw-slackening experience.

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2007, 02:57 am »
ted b,

Thank you for great summation.

At the present time, I have not heard the Transporter sound as good as a SB3 with Platinum Sonicaps used with the Ultimate PS MK II.

My current level of prototype mods to the Transporter have not yielded the gains I have expected.

I am currently exploring another alternative route that no one else has yet tried.

We shall see.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2007, 08:20 pm »
So it appears the analog mod makes the most sense if using a preamp and the stock digital could always be linked to an outboard DAC, correct?  Awful lot of moolah for that PS guys.   :icon_surprised:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2007, 08:25 pm »
So it appears the analog mod makes the most sense if using a preamp and the stock digital could always be linked to an outboard DAC, correct?  Awful lot of moolah for that PS guys.   :icon_surprised:

Listen to the SB2 with and without the Ultimate II PS and see how quickly you think it is worth every penny that Wayne charges!

I don't believe there is anybody who has heard the stock, or one of the "lesser" power supplies vs. the Ultimate II and didn't hear a SUBSTANTIAL difference.

George

yo2tup

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2007, 08:43 pm »
George speaks the truth.  After hearing the Ultimate MKII, it was a no brainer, and there was no way I was sending the demo unit back to Wayne  :D

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2007, 11:48 pm »

I was the first to receive a 'Ultimate' PS, and consequently had more reason to doubt it than anyone.  In fact, I told Wayne he was free to send it if he wished, but he should know that I had serious reservations about hearing anything sufficient to convince me any PS could be worth that kind of money.

He had my check w/in a week of its arrival.

jhm731

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:15 am »
What linear supplies has Ultimate II PS been compared it to?

What about Ultimate II PS makes it better than other 5V linear supplies? Lower noise, better regulation?

Has anyone put it on a scope and compared it to other 5V linears?

sonofcolin

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:16 am »
Interesting comments about the Ultimate MkII PS. I suspect most are using this with the analog mods. Anyone using it with just the digital mods?

mgalusha

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:32 am »
What linear supplies has Ultimate II PS been compared it to?

What about Ultimate II PS makes it better than other 5V linear supplies? Lower noise, better regulation?

Has anyone put it on a scope and compared it to other 5V linears?

I've built several linear 5V supplies for my SB and as I (used to) live fairly close to Wayne had many opportunities to compare them. I've also heard the earlier iteration of the Welborne supply and in each instance the Ultimate II PS was better. We also compared the Bolder PS to a battery supply and all present, five at the time I believe, found the Bolder supply to be superior in all respects.

I have put it on a scope along with one of his very first "basic" supplies and it's very difficult to see any difference on my scope. Even the basic supply had nearly unmeasurable ripple and noise. I know his latest generation supplies have much better regulation but that's not the whole story. IMO the sound is a result of listening to various topologies and optimizing it for the SB.

As others have said, it's pricey but the results are superior.

Disclaimer - I am a friend of Wayne's and have in the past (several years ago) done some work for him, so my opinion is not entirely unbiased. However I do not have any current business relationship with him.

mike

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:37 am »
Absolutely.  Measuring is one things, listening is another.

I have the Basic rev II and have heard the Ultimate.  I'll be ordering the ultimate soon.  Well worth the money.

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:58 am »
Interesting comments about the Ultimate MkII PS. I suspect most are using this with the analog mods. Anyone using it with just the digital mods?

I had similar results with a digital mods SB2.

George