Merchant Ivory

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Merchant Ivory
« on: 23 Jan 2007, 10:58 pm »
Anyone like these movies as much as I do?

Merchant Ivory is a production group made up of James Ivory (directs) Ruth Prawer Jhabvala (screenwriter) Ismail Merchant (producer - recently passed away). They make a lot of period pieces adapted from famous novels. One of the more famous is A Room With A View.

Not for everyone - one critic said If you are male and yawning you may be watching a Merchant Ivory film. Often kind of Masterpiece Theateresque. But I love the history and cinematography, plus some great actors. They have special insight on the British - India relationship over the years. But they specialize in examining all kinds of cultural clashes

I have seen about 8 of them and I want more!
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2007, 11:09 pm by jqp »

reddmadder

Re: Merchant Ivory
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2007, 12:31 am »
Did you see "The Bostonians"? Did you like it?
Just curious

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2007, 03:12 pm »
No I have not seen that one yet.

I have just watched The Golden Bowl (Umma Thurman, Kate Beckinsale, Nick Nolte), which is the third of their Henry James adaptations.

I also rented Shakespeare Wallah.

I plan to watch The Europeans and also The Bostonians sometime soon.

There are quite a few other movies from other novelists adaptations, etc. that I want to see.

Luckily a local video store has all kinds of movies. They have the latest releases, but all kinds of foreign and independent films also. They have a special Criterion Collection section, and I think most of the Merchant Ivory films are in that collection. They have higher artistic standards with better transfers, etc.

I wonder if Netflix has all of these films available?

vinny1

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2007, 03:19 pm »
HI All,

Netflix has a whole bunch of them..i have watched quite a few of their movies..check out siddharta, heat and dust and the householder...and remains of the day...

vinnydr

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2007, 03:27 pm »
It looks like netflix has a good number of merchant ivory productions.

reddmadder

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2007, 06:45 pm »
Hi,
 The reason I asked was that I used to work for Merchant/Ivory years ago.
 The Bostonians is not one of their better ones.
 The last 4-5 films that they made were good ,most probably because they got studio funding and feeback from Disney (I believe or Weinstein).
 Someday I'll write a book about what goes on in teh editing room...you'd be surprised.

reddmadder

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2007, 06:46 pm »
P.S. I have a scene that I edited from the film that never made it into the final cut nor the dvd.
     One day I'll have to post it on a blog.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2007, 08:39 pm »
Wow feel free to tell us all about it!

I did find Nick Nolte's portrayal of the Billionaire and his dialogue delivery kind of dry.

I'm hoping his Jefferson is better... 

reddmadder

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2007, 10:48 am »
Hi,
 I was the assistant editor at the time and Jim Ivory didn't want the scene edited.He felt it was too stagy(he was right)so I volunteered to cut it.It's a scene with the entire cast and involves the death of a major character.
  R