Home Theater 1801b

jjb

Home Theater 1801b
« on: 11 Jul 2003, 09:37 pm »
Any comments on the use of 1801b for HT?, HT and TV is in use 95% of the time vrs. music. My setup is a four channel (no center-better imaging) with subwoofer., powered by a marantz sr-19 a/v reciever.

Al Garay

Home Theater 1801b
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2003, 10:27 pm »
I currently have the 1801a and will be upgrading to the 1801b soon. I can tell you that the articulation/clarity of voices is incredible. I only have a 2 channel system that I use 50/50 ht/music. The Hiquphon tweeters are well known for having excellent off-axis dispersion ... that's fancy talk for having a very wide and tall sweet-spot. So everyone in the room gets good coverage.

I also have a set of Eton 11.2 three-way that I'm playing around. They are supposed to extend down to 23Hz and have all Eton drivers. Anyways, I like the clarity of the 1801's better. I don't feel I'm missing dialogue without a center channel. The imaging is very good.

I must warn you that the 1801s are very sensitve to the quality of the source. I have heard them through Onkyo HT receiver and the sound was not as inviting as with better separates. They can be very revealing ... good and bad.

hope this helps,

Al

jjb

Home Theater 1801b
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2003, 02:35 am »
Thanks for the input, I'm currently using a pair of GR-Research A/V-3 (older model w/sonocap upgrade) and find the imaging, depth, and clarity excellect. however I've moved to a new house and require a smaller size cabinet like a monitor, or mini-monitor. I'm debaiting over the new GR A/V-2 or ellis 1801b. 8)

Al Garay

Home Theater 1801b
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2003, 03:07 am »
GR-Research, Danny, has a very good reputation and offers excellent support. So, you cannot go wrong staying with his products especially for dedicated home theater.

But, since you are looking for subjective opinions:

If I was focused on music or 50/50, I would pay the difference for the Ellis 1801b kit.

I have listened to Darren Thomas' AV1+ with the Sonicap upgrade. The 1801s have much greater detail, articulation, imaging and better bass extension. The AV1+ are more efficient and agreeable with recordings that are mixed very bright/hot. Although, the 1801b crossover upgrade is supposed to make the OW1 more palatable as well with hot recordings.
It's a different experience. The 1801s draw a clearer picture of the music.

If you are on a budget and your focus is HT, I would go with AV2s all around.

Although, I would also give strong consideration to Dennis Murphy's Usher 2-way ... about $350/kit.
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=usher2way.html
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi?read=261215

Hope that helps,

Al