Digital upgrade question

martinr

Digital upgrade question
« on: 21 Jan 2007, 03:18 pm »
Hello to all,
I'm looking for opinions on a digital upgrade.  I have an 8 year old Onkyo Integra 6-disc CD changer that I run through a VDA 1 and VAC 1 through the optical out on the changer, (no coax out).  I like the multi disc changer capability and am considering whether to upgrade to a cal audio labs, marantz, or maybe modded Sony multi disc changer and keep the VAC 1 in place or would I get more bang for the buck if I keep my current changer and upgrade to the VAC 2?

Thanks

Martin

denjo

Re: Digital upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2007, 04:05 pm »
Hi Martin
I was asking the selfsame question a while back and would like to give my 0.02 c worth! When I auditioned the Audio Aero Prima Mk II (and compared it with a cheap universal player through a good DAC which included the VDA*2), I found that the gap narrowed so much that I actually preferred the latter combo to the standalone CDP. When I swopped the cheap Hitachi TOSLINK cable with a glass one, the improvements were even more evident. Granted there may be differences in the digital out from various CDPs or universal players, I think the differences are narrower than the benefits one would gain by feeding the digital out into a good DAC. This allows you the choice of a plethora of DACs which could be tube based, Non-OS, battery powered, etc.
I have not heard the VDA*1 but my impressions of the VDA*2 with VAC*2 were very favourable indeed. I will leave others who have actual listening experiences between the two CIAudio DACs to chime in but knowing Dusty's style and reputation, I think you will hear a bigger improvement upgrading your DAC to the VDA*2 than you would by retaining the VDA*1 but changing your CDP. He has a 30-day trial and nothing beats comparing the two VDAs side-by-side. If you have the opportunity, try and get hold of one of the CDPs you mentioned and hear it through the VDAs. Good luck!

Best regards
Dennis

Psychicanimal

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2007, 05:47 pm »
I am opinionated in favor of belt drive transports.  So, if you don't plan to make thatmove, then upgrading DAC & digital IC would be the ticket, IMO.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2007, 09:18 pm »
On a newer thread a reviewer above linked to a comparison of an Oppo and a Sony mega-changer with VDA-2 favorably to other DACs.  Keeping with separates allows you to play with cables and change transports.  If you like the multi-disc feature and are computer savy, you'd love a Squeeze Box.