to seal or not to seal

BobM

to seal or not to seal
« on: 20 Jan 2007, 10:30 pm »
I recently built some of those formed pipe insulation tube traps that a few people have been trying out. You know, the ones that are about 8-10" in diameter with  about 1" of compressed insulation in a pre formed tube. Basically I liquid nailed the open seam, then stuffed some regular insulation down the middle, left thpaper on 1/2 of the tube diameter and left the other half exposed, wrapped some material around the outside and glued some cardboard circles on the ends to hold down the material.

2 questions:
- do you think the insulation down the middle makes any difference or is it better to leave the middle hollow?
- do you think I should seal the ends, making sure the tube is air tight? I've seen varying answers on this one and would like some knowledgable input

I've hung these in variuous locations where I've heard some boominess (basically corners and directly behind my rack). They've made a noticeable difference in conjunction with some GIK panels I have also, but I am wondering if I can get a bit more out of them.

Thanks,
Bob

arthurs

Re: to seal or not to seal
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2007, 10:34 pm »
I'm well into my trap project and for sure stuffing them makes a measurable difference that is audible....as far as sealing them, the guys I trust here at AC said don't, so I haven't....no A/B done here on sealed versus not......but overall they have made a really nice difference in my room....send me a PM, I can save you a bunch of headaches from what we've learned....

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: to seal or not to seal
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2007, 10:35 pm »
Filling them will definitely make them perform deeper IMO.  Otherwise, there will be a couple of peaks in absorbtion based on the relative distances from the absorbtion to the wall boundaries.

As far as sealing them, there really isn't a lot of point.  It's not an air tight cylinder to start due to the porus nature of the insulation and it's acting as a velocity - not pressure absorber.  Now, when you seal it, you do create SLIGHTLY more pressure inside by forcing ALL of the moving air to leave via the insulation which wants to restrict the air flow.  However, it's not a real big deal - especially since you've already severely restricted the ability of any air to escape via the ends.

Bryan