I miss my amps!

BobC

I miss my amps!
« on: 20 Jan 2007, 10:01 pm »
I've got my extreme monos in for the SE upgrade right now and hope to get them back along with a Candela next week.

I've been limping along with an old B&K ST1400II amp in the mean time.

Well I though I share how much the Odyssey amps absolutely kill the B&K (not really a suprise but good to keep myself calibrated once in a while).

I'm no poet but here are my short notes....
Rolled off highs.  Less "air".  Narrower soundstage.  Shallower soundstage.  Muddiy / loose bass.  Blurry sound, poor imaging i.e. can't separate the background singers and can't separate the insturments.  Not as loud for a given volume; had to turn it up louder.  Just not as involving...don't want to listen anymore...is this fatigue?  Amp got a lot hotter too.

No suprise really...but I found it interesting...so I thought I'd share.

Can't wait to hear the amp improvements.  Also expect a big improvement with the Candela over my current Rotel RSP 1066 pre-pro!

Cheers!   :beer:

DMi

Re: I miss my amps!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2007, 04:15 pm »
I am sorry for your present state of loss. Sadly I am using a Carver for three channels (just surrounds and center fortunately... can we say yuk!) of my 5.1 system while I await upgrades. I know exactly where you're coming from and soon will know right where you're going.

I am pleased that at least I am still listening to my Stratos Stereo Plus on the front channels while I wait for my SE Extremes. I hope we both get them soon. I'm not going to compare B&K or Carver to Odyssey, it's fruitless.

Doug