Can 845 DT or Cadenze be run balanced?

Brucemck

Can 845 DT or Cadenze be run balanced?
« on: 20 Jan 2007, 03:29 pm »

Two questions:

(1) Can the 845 DT or the Cadenza DT be configured to have balanced inputs?  (My preamp is configured for balanced outputs, and it's rather expensive to have it converted to single ended outputs.)

(2) Are there "upgrades" or mods available for either unit?

Thanks.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Can 845 DT or Cadenze be run balanced?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2007, 05:34 pm »
Bruce, I'm not Bill, but I can add something. 

The AQ1006(845) is a single-ended-triode (SET) amp.  Since none of its circuitry is split in halves, as amps with push/pull driver/output stages are, there's nothing for the negative half of a balanced input stage to drive.

The Cadenza is a push/pull amp, and just as Antique Sound Lab has added balanced inputs and circuitry to some of its P/P amps such as the Hurricane and the Monsoon, a balanced-input version of the Candenza may be in the works by ASL.  Or perhaps Bill could add such circuitry; only he can answer that.

But you could simply use XLR-to-RCA adapters on your preamp and use single-ended cable--
http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=Adpt-MxRcf&preadd=action or
http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=Adpt-FxRcf&preadd=action depending on which connector your preamp's outputs are--I think your preamp's outputs will be female, but I don't know.

And I expect Bill could improve the sounds of either amp; I know my new 1006(845)s are slowly getting better.   :D

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2007, 06:21 pm »
jeffreybehr said it right. 

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2007, 07:38 pm »
 Hello Brucemck,
 In regard to the 1006.... what Jeffrey said. By the way, thanks for jumping in on this one Jeffrey. Good looking out.

For the Cadenza, as Jefferey also mentioned, this circuit could be configured to run in balanced mode but I would not expect to see this option become available with this model do to the complexity of drilling into the solid aluminum back panel as well as the available internal room for the circuitry of a *true* balanced circuit. In all honesty, I do not believe there would be enough of an advantage of installing a true balanced circuit as compared to using a balanced-single ended adapter. If you did use an adapter of this type, I would highly recommend not skimping on the quality.

Are there "upgrades" or mods available for either unit?

In all honesty, I have not been inside the Cadenza yet. I have worked on the original version, aka: 1009 (845) and do in fact have an older pair in my facility at the moment. I receive a lot of inquiries for modifications on the Cadenza and still considering bringing a pair in for some *beta* work in the near future or offer a special price on a pair for someone who is interested in being the first to step up to the plate and order a pair. Like we did on the Hurricane MK II.

At this time, the new EXtreme Hurricane is my primary focus as these have been the most popular over the past 2 years. I have a pair of the new MK II on the bench now for EXtreme mods and must say they are beutiful units. By the way, these now come standard with a true balanced input :wink: