Electrical Basics for Electronics

analog97

Electrical Basics for Electronics
« on: 19 Jan 2007, 11:07 pm »
Hi.  I've posted before and have learned much from this Forum.  I am a basic science guy (biological/epidemiological/medical) but NOT an analog EE type.  The biological sciences are a a different animal entirely.  Can someone who appreciates the difference suggest some references for understanding the basics involved in fully appreciating subjects, e.g.  reading/interpreting schematics, the electrical properties of components used commonly in analog reproduction, etc?  No, I realize there is no substitute for actual "training", i.e. BSEE + EXPERIENCE, but as an analog moron PhD who has had substantial undergrad work in physics, I am still lost by numerous posts and want to get a decent jump-start.  Thanks.  Sincerely....Lost in translation.

NealH

Re: Electrical Basics for Electronics
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2007, 01:13 am »
You're going to have to do some self learning.  Since you have a Phd already with a strong exposure to physics, I would start with some basic physics as applied to electricity.  You will likely pick things up relatively quickly and, you learning curve should accelerate as you go.  I am assuming your apptitude is excellent.  Here is one site, but there are others too. 

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/BBoard.html

Some more on-line learning resources:

http://www.eliteskills.com/free_education/

eico1

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2007, 01:34 am »
I studied applied mathematics and statistics both BSc & MSc. I taught myself electronics, with the help of online tutorials and a couple of good books.  Little by little, reading here and there I have learned a lot.  I've basically learned everything I know now (not that much) in just under two years.

I believe the science/math background helps you learn quicker, even if it isn't directly applicable.   Building, let's say, a tube preamp requires nothing more than some simple algebra but learning how it all works, how to bias and figure out the operating points, etc, I think is where it helps a bit.

But Hagerman's kits don't require much knowledge as he has done all the work for you.  You just need to know how to solder, which just takes a tiny bit of practice.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2007, 01:36 am »
Don't forget to pick up The Art of Electronics:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957/sr=1-1/qid=1169256583/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2014599-6300650?ie=UTF8&s=books

steve

Looks like a great book - the cheapest used price on Amazon is $41  :o

eico1

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2007, 01:47 am »
Looks like a great book - the cheapest used price on Amazon is $41  :o

That's because no one is selling theirs! We bought a case of them to distribute to eveyone involved in product development.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Art-of-Electronics-by-Horowitz-and-Hill-2nd-Edition_W0QQitemZ160076111995QQihZ006QQcategoryZ69479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2007, 01:58 am by eico1 »

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2007, 05:30 am »
Art of Electronics.  There is nothing better.  I have a (relatively) rare 1st edition.

jh

jon_010101

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2007, 07:45 am »
If you are a tube man, I HIGHLY recommend the "classics", such as the Radiotron Designer's Handbook (can be a bit much!), or Norman Crowhurst's texts on audio circuits (more-basic, his "Basic Audio" series is pretty excellent).  Amazingly, some of these are available free in PDF form: Pete Millett's collection.

For a "Fun" introduction (including basic mathematical descriptions), you might want to take a look at Max Robinson's site: Fun With Tubes, also his Electronics for Physicists.  He now has a transistors site too: Fun With Transistors.  Very practical descriptions, and his tube amplifier designs are really quite excellent.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:33 pm »
We have used the Glenbrook site for basic electricty training at work. It is very good at getting down to basics and has many examples of Ohm's law at work with problems (and answers) to solve. It also talks about induction, capacitance and fun things like that.

W

analog97

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2007, 03:39 pm »
Thanks very much for the helpful replies.  I feel as if I am still in the 6th grade with respect to my understanding.  Yes, I got hooked by building 6 Hag kits, notably the Cornet2 and Clarinet.  Truly, building them required little understanding.  Having a curious mind, I realized how little I knew.  You gotta appreciate a guy like JH who can take you there without understanding....