ultimate? 70 on ebay

dejected bubba

ultimate? 70 on ebay
« on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:09 pm »
frank, there is a gentleman selling what he calls an ultimate stereo 70 on ebay. he has the circuit board covered with a screen but you can clearly see 4 black round capacitors at the rear. the ultimate seventy seems to only have two such capacitors and this w2ould seem to be an older model. Am I correct? thanks for any help. I had dishonest people trying to scam the innocent.

avahifi

Re: ultimate? 70 on ebay
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:40 pm »
Please give me a link to the amp on e-bay and I will investigate.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:45 pm »
I found the unit.  IT IS NOT AN ULTIMATE 70!  The power supply capacitor configuration is wrong for this new circuit.  It may be our older Super 70i board, but I cannot tell for sure with the cover screen over the board.

This is misrepresentation of one of our products for sure.

Avoid it and avoid this seller.

Thanks for the heads up.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:08 pm »
I e-mailed the sell a "warning shot" telling him to change his representation of the amplifier.  We will see how that goes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Superb-Van-Alstine-Ultimate-Rebuilt-Dynaco-ST-70-Amp_W0QQitemZ250075291791QQihZ015QQcategoryZ71545QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:48 pm »
He did change it, but WTF is that ugly screen supposed to accomplish???

rlee8394

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2007, 03:16 am »
I believe he was using the term "ultimate" as an adjective and not as a reference to Frank's new design. I think this is just pure coincidence here, no deceit intended on the seller's part I'm sure. He seems to have changed his description to "Superb." The screen was an original Dyanco part seldom seen anymore which hid the circuit board and components while providing a bit of protection from the voltages on the board. Much like the rear pickup "ashtray" cover on a Telecaster, they seem to have disappeared over time.

rustneversleeps

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2007, 03:59 am »
That circuit board screen looks to be custom made for the 70i board. He likes your amp Frank.

I have a Dyna 70 with a circuit board screen, but it doesn't look like that.

I have to ask him where did he get the material, I want to make one since I am building a 70i.