New moderator needed

Carlman

New moderator needed
« on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:14 pm »
Based on various factors, I am stepping down as moderator of the NC Circle.  I will stay an active member of AC, though.  And, I will host gatherings any time I can.

So, we need a new moderator!  Please volunteer by contacting JohnR by PM if you are interested.

Thanks,
Carl

TheChairGuy

Re: New moderator needed
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:34 pm »
JohnR is away for three weeks on business matters....alternatively, please PM me.

If we can't find a moderator for this circle, we will have to archive (essentially, close) it.  It's been a good, active circle in the past, it would seem silly to do it  :roll:

Somebody, please step up.  In the case of Regional Circles, we just can't have anyone do it...we need someone from the Carolina's to do it.  That kinda' narrows down the list somewhat. The time it takes to moderate it is not likely to keep you from anything else in your life.  If you check in here anyhow, it will add only minutes, on average to your daily rituals.

Inscrutable/Tim, are you up for it in addition to duties as co-moderator of Critic's Circle?

Thanks,

John / TCG

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2007, 06:39 pm »
As an NC resident and AC old timer, I will offer to facilitate this circle. I feel bad since I have not been able to attend any of the events, but know that this is not a requirement, and I hope to be an interim facilitator. I can then pass it to someone in the fututre. Unless someone else steps forward soon...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2007, 07:12 pm »
jqp,

You're on - thanks for stepping forward.

If, as jqp says, there is another member that would like to inherit this mantle in his stead, please speak up about it.

Thank you all,

John / TCG

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2007, 07:23 pm »
Wow that was fast. Glad to help, because I know our Global Mods have lots of new work to do.

NC Audiophiles - if you want to say anything regarding this Regional Circle, please post away.

Feel free to groom yourself to be a future Facilitator of this group!

There are some transitions going on at AC but, none that should affect us much as a Regional Circle. Do not in any way feel that you have to "get permission" from me...any facilitation I do will simply be in keeping with the guidelines of AC.

Now might be a good time for you to make suggestions for the Circle (in addition to any suggestions for our new Steering Committee at the appropriate time), to ask questions, to discuss the NC weather, whatever. You can ALL post new topics, post in other peoples' topics, create polls, etc. If you need help posting, let me or other members know. Let's take a look at the stickies (hmmm maybe we need a few), etc. for this circle, and add, update where it would benefit us.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:05 am »
I plan to join the Carolina's audio scene later this year. I have a contract to build a house about 10 miles south of Balentine (below Charlotte). I'm a long-term audio fan, currently on a modest equipment budget. But I love this stuff and hope to share in Carolina based activies after the move scheduled for October.

My rig consists of the latest Omega Compact Hemp, Red Wine Audio Signature 30 and a Wadi 830 CDP. I am also an owner and big fan of AKG K1000 headphones (earspeakers) which also are driven by the Sig 30.

Bottom line: I would love to see this thread stay active!

Looking forward to meeting some of you at a later date  8)

Jumpin' Jack Flash

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2007, 06:50 am »
Have been a stealth AC member for a while, and just relocated from Chapel Hill to Albemarle (early retirement).  Had to give up DSL for dial-up with the move, until CTC moves into the 21st century, so did not volunteer to be the NC moderator.  Primary system is still packed up, as 2000 sq. ft. basement is still in turmoil with 40 years of accumulated stuff scattered about. Trying to plan a dedicated listening room in new house compared to the compromised previous one.  Kind of going nuts with 700+ LPs, and most likely more CDs, and no system on which to hear them.  I am surviving on an Onkyo receiver and some PSB Alpha B's until the main system is again producing tunes.  My higher elevation does allow very good FM reception, if not very good sound.  I do miss the NC Triangle area for audio, for there is nothing in Albemarle.  Did attend some listening sessions with Rick at Selah Audio in Garner, and got a lot of early gear at Audio Advice in Raleigh.

I am kind of surprised that there is not more activity in the Charlotte area, or at least there does not seem to be very many AC postings.  Did find a Charlotte area audio club on the internet, but cannot seem to get much info on it.

It would be a shame to lose what little activity there is on the NC regional circle.  Will monitor this link more diligently in case its status heads downhill, for I am not certain when I will get a better connection.  CTC says I may get Wi.max before DSL; either would offer an opportunity to moderate.

System in storage: VPI HW19 MK III and Thorens TD-125 MK II, ET LFT8 speakers, PS audio PCA-2, Odyssey Stratos monos, Ultech UCD-100 and Rotel RCD-1072, Nikko Gamma V (modded) tuner, 3 different r-t-r (Sony still works).

Thanks to jqp for stepping up!

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2007, 03:23 am »
Welcome JJF

Missed this post, but glad to know there is another ACer in the Charlotte area. I know very few audiophiles here, but we had bob82274 from Charlotte very active at one time. I think college life must be keeping him pretty busy.

I have seen that there is a group here in Charlotte too, as I recall mostly vintage/tube oriented.

What is CTC - Cox or some other company, like Carlolina Telecom?

How do you like Albemarle? I have my eye on it as a potential destination outside of Mecklenburg County...

Jumpin' Jack Flash

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2007, 04:57 pm »
jqp,
Albemarle is a world away from Charlotte metro.  It kind of reminds me of when I used to watch the Andy of Mayberry show---real layed back and friendly.  Crime is very low, as are the taxes and general cost of living.  I worked/lived in the Research Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) for 25 years, so Albemarle is wonderful and relaxing in comparison.  I am 2 miles from Lake Tillery, 6 miles from Morrow Mountain State Park, and 12 miles from the Uhwarrie National Park (50,000+ acres).  There is very little traffic, and gas is usually 8-10 cents less than in Charlotte.  There are no malls, but there is a Lowe's and Walmart for the necessities.  Had to drive 28 miles (Salisbury) to get a large plasma t.v., but that's about half way around Charlotte.  The medical facilities are excellent.  CTC is Concord Telephone Company, and it has great, inexpensive service for most of its subscribers.  I happen to live in an area where they have not deployed equipment to provide DSL.  TWC is available, but I refuse to use them based on past experiences.  Stanley County is probably considered kind of backward when compared to the large metro areas, as Charlotte's mayor said recently that Ablemarle needs to come into the 21st century in a speech here.  Little does he know how nice it can be to live in the 20th century!

My system is changing, as I just acquired some VMPS RM2 speakers.  They are still breaking in, but I already like them better than my Eminent Technology LFT VIIIs.  I listen to mostly folk and rock from the 60's, and they seem to do well with this genre.  Joni Mitchell sounds awesome on the RM2s.  My basement is still in turmoil, but I have enough space to "tweek" my speaker location without moving any furniture.