Q:Best BUDGET power or integrated AMP (under$1000)

mmg_fan

Q:Best BUDGET power or integrated AMP (under$1000)
« on: 18 Jan 2007, 10:17 am »
Hi
Just getting my feet wet as a serious audiophile and am looking for an upgrade.

Currently have an old NAD 740 receiver driving some Magnepan MMG's.

I'm guessing my next purchase should be a better power/integrated amp to drive the maggies, then perhasp a good DAC(also purchased a slimdevices Squeezebox which I love)

I'm wondering what a serious audiophile would recommend as a good amp ppurchase?
So far I am considering the Jolida hybrids(1501, etc), and musical fidelity in the same price range.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Q:Best BUDGET power or integrated AMP (under$1000)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2007, 10:54 am »
Maggies are power hungry, so solid state (or digital) is the obvious solution for you.

With your budget and audiophile aspirations, looking into the used market is also an obvious direction to look.

Yes, with it's own volume control and access to internet audio streaming you don't need a pre-amp now.

I'd stick with the brands here at AC (good value and good guys to deal with).  For your needs I'd consider Aspen (if you can sling solder), AVA, Channel Island Audio, or Odyssey.  Byston is another good brand (both them and Odyssey have 20 year warrantees).

Keep an eye open in the trading post or at Audiogon.com.

PhilNYC

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:48 pm »
I'd take a look at the Dussun DS99 integrated amp.  At $500, it is one of the best values I've heard...

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2007, 03:03 pm »
I just recently set out to buy some equipment that I can hold onto for years, within your budget allotment.

After some soul searching, I decided on  a lightly used Belles 150A Hot Rod amp for $600 and purchased a brand new hi-end TVC preamp from Promitheus Audio for just over $400.    Now I have power to spare, insane bass, sweet mids & killer imaging...and a sound that won't let me think about upgrading for some time.

Your best bet for a good amp is on the used market IMO.   I was also looking at McCormack amps...

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:06 pm »
We have reviewed the larger Dussun amp and found it to be quite good.

The used suggestion is also great, there are a ton of choices at that price
and even more if you can go a touch higher.  The small Magnepans that you
have are not as power hungry as the big ones, so even a 40-60 watt per
channel tube amp would be fine if you don't listen at super loud levels.

You might even consider that cool little SP3 tube integrated from av123.

They have a 30 day return policy.

I was amazed when we had one in for review how many speakers that 38
watt per channel amp would actually drive. 

Might be worth a go!  And the folks at AV123 are very nice to deal with!

daimbert

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:37 pm »
I second tonepub. I have an Onix sp3 and it's a killer deal for 550. It really preforms at a much higher level than the price.

JOhn

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:16 pm »
I like Creek stuff, too.  Here's an audiogon ad:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1173420726

Here's Creek's info on this:

http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/main_product.asp?prolook=a50i

I have a much older version of this, and it drives my Linn 5140s (4 ohm) speakers pretty well. 

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2007, 07:09 pm »
Another vote for the Onix SP3.

That amp proves that quality power is far more important than quantity in driving speakers.

Others may mention the Jolida's, especially their tube pre/SS amp units.

Christof

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:20 am »
Ladydog still got that integrated Stratos custom job from Klaus at Odyssey Audio up for grabs?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31889.0

tex-amp

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2007, 07:50 pm »
I don't think the 38watt SP3 is going to mate well with power hungry Maggies.  I'm an Audio Refinement(AR) fan but these would be used now that YBA has replaced the AR line with the YBA Designs line.  Be aware the Dussun DS99 has no pre-outs so you cannot use it later as a pre-amp with a more powerful amp.

weirdo

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2007, 08:18 pm »

I had the MMG's and I drove them with a Denon receiver. My upgrade was to put in a used Adcom amp/pre-amp  and a new Cambridge Audio 640c  CD player.  The improvement was extraordinary. Got the whole deal for around 1,000. ( Adcom used on E-bay, CD player new). I don't know about a separate DAC purchase compared to a player with a good built in DAC.

this set up will put you in mid fi heaven. 

Cacophonix

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2007, 09:24 pm »
Try portal panache ... you can get them for under $1000 on audiogon or get the NAD C372 (Plenty of power)

There are a lot of integrateds to choose from if u go the used route.

Bucky

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2007, 02:11 am »
I would search around the internet for amp that other Mag users are using.  I could suggest quite a few under $1000, but I have never listened to them on maggies so who knows.  What I do reccomend is buying used and also buying a recognized brand name (it would be much easier to resell if you don't like it)

BubbleChamber

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2007, 08:48 am »
I would search around the internet for amp that other Mag users are using.  I could suggest quite a few under $1000, but I have never listened to them on maggies so who knows.  What I do recommend is buying used and also buying a recognized brand name (it would be much easier to resell if you don't like it)

I second Bucky's recommendation on trying out used equipments. Especially with the Maggies, not easy to drive, you may need to try a few to find the perfect one. Since you are considering the Jolida's, may I suggest putting the Unison Unico on your short list? It won the 6moon product of the year award in 2002. They are pretty hard to come by though, and normally they get sold within minutes in the used market. I know, I just sold mine within an hour for under 1k. :duh:

listen

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:29 am »
Hi, I understand your dilemna.  I recently changed over to an integrated and really took a lot of time making my selection.  I actually ended up with the Qinpu A1.0x, although I had never heard of it before.  I've had it for about a year now, and I am really amazed by its sound; very smooth, open, well-balanced and extremely musical.  It has a touch of warmth to the tone, reminiscent of tubes, but not overdone by any means.  I have to admit, to this day, I still have moments of "I cant believe the music sounds so good!"  Its 100w/ch, so hopefully that will be enough for your Maggies.  Some others that you may want to consider are the NAD C372, the Creek 5350SE, and the other Qinpu model A8000 mkii.  Its a wonderful hobby, take your time selecting one that youre happiest with for your tastes. Enjoy!

pacifico

« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:48 pm »
I have the 372 and it can sound quite good at times but alas, its time with me is passing as I move up the food chain. Will likely keep it and equip it with a cheap tube preamp at some point just for kicks. It's great as a secondary system. I used it as my primary for over two years.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #16 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:20 pm »
Check out one of the new DIYCable digital amps starting at $795 kit. Plenty of power for your Maggies!

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=616

Raj

BobC

« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:21 pm »
I agree that used is the way to go.  You can simply re-sell if you don't like it without much of a loss.  I reco you consider build quality, warranty, service reputation and upgrade path.  BTW, Odyssey has all of these and you can usually find a Odyssey Stratos Plus for <$1000.   Here's one!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1176241157

I bought my Odyssey Mono Extremes used and love them.  I've even sent them into the shop for some upgrades (should have this weekend...can't wait!) all at a fraction of the "new" cost.  This allows you to grow your system along with your tastes / budget i.e. spread out your investment.

Good luck!

weirdo

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:28 pm »
Van Alstine has just introduced an integrated at 90 wpc for around a grand. Their products are definately worthy of an audition.

pacifico

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:32 pm »
If your gonna consider the van alstine integrated, you move into the 1000+ range by quite a bit. Then you have lots of options. I considered this amp but will very likely go with a cayin. I need to go through a tube phase before I can go back to solid state....if ever.