first ob

thuthriller

first ob
« on: 18 Jan 2007, 03:58 am »
having built a few box speakers i wanted to try an ob on the cheap. so i bought 8 of those $3.00 foster widebands from madisound, mounted them wwtww on some  9" wide 36" tall baffles with some hi-vi rt2 planars i had laying around and was i ever impressed!!!  i put together  whole little rig for this test for under $100 using a rane ac-22 ($61.00 on ebay) and bsg/zapco 6 channel deal ($29.00 also on ebay). i crossed them over at 3.6k without a sub. these things play load and clear with way more bass than i expected. i can't wait to do something with better drivers.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: first ob
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:16 am »
Thanks for posting your experience and let us know what you do next. :thumb:

My first experience was with a pair of Pioneer 6.5" car whizzer cone speakers that were given to me.
They sounded terrible, no bass, no treble, but the NO BOX midrange sounded way better than it had a right to with these speakers, I was hooked.

Lin :D

nullspace

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2007, 03:23 pm »
Unfortunately, now that you've heard OBs, you'll never be able to back to regular 'ole boxed speakers -- maybe proper front horns, but certainly not BR. My first OB experience was with a a pair of 12" Goodmans Triaxioms with blown tweeters; 100-10k was something else.

Regards,
John

mcgsxr

!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:39 pm »
Welcome to the club!

Interesting design choice, an OB line array as the starting point.

I would be interested to hear what you think of a single driver done this way, on a wider baffle (though I do note you use EQ, so that might not be all that necessary).

I recommend the b200 Visaton, but have heard wonderful things about the Hawthorne products too.

thuthriller

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:28 pm »
looking at the hawthorne 10 inch.