UcD700 Monoblocks

elg2001

UcD700 Monoblocks
« on: 16 Jan 2007, 04:49 pm »
Hi,
   Last time I checked in, the ETA for your UcD700 monoblocks was Feb '07. Is this still the case?

Kevin Haskins

Re: UcD700 Monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2007, 07:11 pm »
Hi,
   Last time I checked in, the ETA for your UcD700 monoblocks was Feb '07. Is this still the case?

For once we are right on schedule.   I'm waiting on a few more parts but I'm expecting to release the EX-700 Monoblocks early Feb 07.

Here are a couple pictures of the first ones being built.

Notice the use of the Hypex UcD700AD module & Hypex UcD700 power supply.   The blue anodized heatsink is in the middle and softstart unit in the front-left foreground.   The transformer is our custom 822VA unit with Gauss shield & shielding between the primary/secondary.    All signal connections are limited to the right-rear of the picture within an inch or two of the UcD700 module.   Notice we keep maximum distance between AC & the Hypex module stuck in the right-rear of the case.

Picture of the fronts.   Size is 2U rack space height & width so they fit in pretty much any standard equipment rack or stand.  Shipping weight is going to be about 75-80lbs per pair.

There is very little problem with placing them in confined areas.   They pretty much run at just above room temp. so ventilation and heat issues are not a problem unless your going to be running into a 2 Ohm load with a continuous sine wave at full power.  ;-)   I'd still plan to allow air movement.   The chassis is well vented top/bottom and EMI/RFI is zero problem as with all of our Exodus amplifiers.

The amp comes standard with balanced inputs and we can configure it with RCA inputs as an option.

elg2001

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2007, 08:19 pm »
Sounds great. Do you have any measurements or graphs of performance of this product?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2007, 08:34 pm »
Sounds great. Do you have any measurements or graphs of performance of this product?

The UcD 700 specs and measurements per Bruno & Hypex.

http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/UcD700_manual.pdf

I'm unsure of what power supply was used during those measurements but I'd bet it was an early prototype Hypex supply.   The only thing we have supplied different would be the transformer which is more than sufficient for the power rating.

Oh... finished amps will be available before the kits.    I have documentation to write which takes a significant amount of time.   The finished version is going to sell for $2450/pr.    Figure shipping weight based upon two 40lb. packages.

« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2007, 07:29 pm by Kevin Haskins »

elg2001

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2007, 08:49 pm »
Your prior mention of these amps priced the pair at $1,999. Since I've been on the list to get a pair of these since Nov, can I get the originally-stated price?

Bingenito

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2007, 08:59 pm »
Nice work Kevin. Those look really cool!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2007, 09:10 pm »
Your prior mention of these amps priced the pair at $1,999. Since I've been on the list to get a pair of these since Nov, can I get the originally-stated price?

The kit price will probably be $2300/pr.   I give early price estimates but I've not even finalized this pricing.  It depend on what final landed pricing is for several parts and    I have tight margins... not typical high-end audio mark-ups.   If you compare other Hypex based solutions you will see these are VERY attractively priced.

« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2007, 07:30 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2007, 09:18 pm »
How do they sound compared to the 400's?

Thanks

Heavier... ;-)   They sound similiar.   All the UcD designs do but the 700s have the obvious advantage in heft and how they handle the loudspeaker load.   They also benefit from the better implimentation of the buffer and which makes them sound cleaner and slightly more dimensional than the UcD400. Even when I do the power supply modification of the Ucd400 buffer it doesn't sound as good as the 700s.   Why?   I don't have a clue... it could be several things but cost wasn't as big of a concern in the design of the Ucd700 as it was with the lower powered amps so maybe Bruno did a little extra tweaking of the design.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2007, 12:50 am »
Nice work Kevin. Those look really cool!

Thanks!   They run cool too.   :-)   

elg2001

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:03 pm »
Hi,
   Any updates on the status of these units? I really cant wait to get one :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:17 pm »
Hi,
   Any updates on the status of these units? I really cant wait to get one :)

Not at the moment.  I'm still waiting on the shipment of aluminum adaptor plates and the Exodus front facia.   The facia is purely cosmetic but the mounting plate is pretty critical.  ;-)

I'll announce a firm release date here when I have one.   I'm still expecting early Feb 07.

elg2001

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:40 pm »
Sounds like we're coming right down to the wire. Man I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Thanks for the update.

elg2001

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2007, 07:44 pm »
I'm excited to know if these are ready yet :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2007, 07:27 pm »
I'm excited to know if these are ready yet :)

Not yet but soon.   I'm waiting to hear if the parts shipped before Chinese New Year.   Of course the entire country shuts down for Chinese New Year so getting an answer is proving difficult.  :-)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2007, 11:33 pm »
Ok... I'm officially taking orders on the EX-700 monoblock.   

I'm not Amazon here so take it easy on shipping expectations. 

I have a couple pair pretty much ready to go and I can assemble more within the next couple weeks.   I'm working on changing some things so I can crank these out quicker but right now there is a slight delay between ordering and shipping.   All of these are hand-built by yours truly and I have to wear a few different hats during a given day.  :-)