R DES and stereo-mono subs

jimmy b

R DES and stereo-mono subs
« on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:27 am »
 All I have a pair of Force subs and a single Maestro, Currently Iam using just the Maestro but when my room is done I wanted to set up the force to play stereo positioned under my Essence V mains and run the Maestro in the back corner of the room near the listneg position.

What do you all think the best hook up option is for these speakers? I was thinking of running the Maestro off the sub out from my reciever and then running the Force stereo from either a high level input adapter from the  L& R mains or from the amp outs on the reciver and setting the mains to large while using the force corossovers to tune them up into the range of the Essence. Note that the Essencse V's uses an internal crossover to start cutting bass at about 75 hz.

Any sugestions? and will the RDES help this configuratio? its only got 2 channels and I have 3

Thanks for any suggestions

Mike Dzurko

Re: R DES and stereo-mono subs
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:51 pm »
Jimmy:

Is the idea to be able to run the left-right mains in some sort of two-channel direct w/o sub?

jimmy b

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:25 pm »
Not nessasarily but that might be nice also.
I just have all these speakers and want to hook them up in the best configuration.
I was liking the idea of stereo subs up front.
or should I just run them all off the same sub out mono and use one side of an RDes to tuen them together.

I am also concerned that with 3 subs in ht eroom they might fight each other.
What would you do with what I have?

Antman27

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:37 pm »
jimmy b  send me a PM

JimmyB

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:14 pm »
ok antman sent u a pm

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:15 pm »

Multiple subs can work VERY well, but it does take more time and effort to get them all working together. My first thought is I'd go with the the Lexicon bass-enhance mode which uses a single mono sub AND a pair of subs to the sides for additional envelopment. I'd use the Maestro as the main and the Force for the sides. Some of our customers have done this with very good results.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:17 pm »
jimmy b  send me a PM

Hope you can add to this discussion . . . PMs certainly have their place . . .if it's something others might learn from, please post, thanks!

JimmyB

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2007, 08:13 pm »

Multiple subs can work VERY well, but it does take more time and effort to get them all working together. My first thought is I'd go with the the Lexicon bass-enhance mode which uses a single mono sub AND a pair of subs to the sides for additional envelopment. I'd use the Maestro as the main and the Force for the sides. Some of our customers have done this with very good results.

mike fill me in on htis Lexicon bass enhance mode, what is it we are talking about?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2007, 08:21 pm »
http://www.lexicon.com/

Also, I believe HK uses is in some of their products. Also might want to check out this forum where Lexicon folks hang out:

http://www.smr-forums.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=3&SID=6e8cffaaef477d5798f89673b81e8e5e

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2007, 09:04 pm »
Is this a stereo only system or a home theater?  Are you using separate pre-amp and amp, or integrated amp/receiver? 

JimmyB

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2007, 09:14 pm »
Is this a stereo only system or a home theater?  Are you using separate pre-amp and amp, or integrated amp/receiver? 

I use it for both stereo and HT
 I'm using a Pioneer Elite TX 54 receiver currently, it has pre out for all channels and i was thinking of using the L & R pre out to drive the L & R subs and leaving the mains set to large (full range) My  L/R mains are passively crossed over at 75 Hz so the only play above that and i would use the subs crossovers to dial them up to the point where The mains take over smoothly. then i would just run the single 15" maestro from the LFE channel, the Pioneer has bass direction that let me SEt the mains to large yet still sum all base to the lfe Chanel.