upgrade or not upgrade

rustneversleeps

upgrade or not upgrade
« on: 16 Jan 2007, 12:45 am »
Hi Frank,

I wonder if you can tell me what are the >>>circuitry and parts differences<<< between an Ultra 550 and a 1996 550hc (that's what I have and I paid $750 for it, and it's in almost MINT condition), that may help me in making decision to upgrade or not.

Also I am using a super pas 4i from 1992, what's the upgrade option for it?

I've been very happy with this combination, and I don't think any upgrade can make it better. I am driving a pair of MMG with it.

By the way, will the transformer from the 1996 550hc be good enough for the Ultra upgrade and even for the future upgrade after the Ultra?

Do we get the old parts back after the upgrade?

avahifi

Re: upgrade or not upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2007, 03:30 pm »
The Ultra 550 upgrade to your 1996 Fet Valve 500hc is $999 plus $38 shipping and includes a new three year parts and labor warranty.

The unit will get:

New multistage regulated power supply board

New audio boards

New output mos-fets

Revised output decoupling network

Day and night better sound.

We normally do not return the old parts as there is nothing useful the end user can do with them.

The power transformer is just fine, the same design, but a different vendor, as we use in current production.

Regarding your Super Pas 4i, the upgrade available is to upgrade it to the limited version of the T8 all tube preamp.  In this small SL chassis there is not physical room for the full new big T8 board, however, we can achieve much of the musical improvements by reworking the existing board for better line tubes and a single high voltage regulated B+ power supply, providing much better transparency and dynamic range and freedom from glare and grain than with the old passive supply. The upgrade price is $699 plus $17 return shipping.  This you should compare with the outright price of a new Transcendence Eight ($1398 with phono, $1099 without phono) less the likely resale value of your SP4i ($300 - $400 depending upon condition).  The new T8 is an awesome unit and significantly better than the small board version, with much higher quality switches and layout.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

EclecticSeeker

• Archetypical aging audiophile...
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2007, 06:44 pm »
It’s great that you’ve been happy with your present AVA gear, and I understand your feeling that an upgrade may not be significantly better.  However, as someone who has followed that path with Frank over a number of years, I assure you that it is absolutely, positively, and without question worth it!  Cost to upgrade is admittedly not small change, but what you get for that investment dollar for dollar is head and shoulders better than any gear I have ever heard.  Can’t swing both at once?  Upgrade your preamp first.  You’ll be amazed at what you’ll hear.   :D

defec

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2007, 09:58 pm »
What has stopped me in the past from sending my setup in for an upgrade even though I'm pretty confident it would result in better sound is the fact that I'd be without the wonderful sounds the current setup produces for how ever long it took for completion. I have no backup components to make due so I'd be extra miserable during their time away. I'm not even sure that I could endure a month or two with a non Van Alstine amp/preamp anyway. Frank you need to consider implementing a program that would lend neurotic types such as myself some older equipment during an upgrade:).

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2007, 11:19 pm »
My only comment is that recently, Frank has made some pretty good technology discoveries that have been proven with prototypes and put into production. 10 year old AVA stuff is still better than most, but the new upgrades and new model offerings do sound wonderful. I have recently aquired the NEW T8 pre-amp and 260ex power amp, not as much current capacity as the 550 but certainly has lived up to and beyond my expectations, which are pretty high.

W

rustneversleeps

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:58 am »
For the super pas 4i, I don't think it's worthwhile to upgrade it, for $699 (does it include the phono stage?) I'd only get a limited performance T8 with a small aluminum chassis. What I want is upgrade the pas 4i to an Ultra.

For the 1996 550h, I guess it may be worthwhile to upgrade it, I kind of like to have the old parts back since I paid for them. If I upgrade this amp, I would need an Ultra preamp, and a second amp to go with the super pas 4i that I am keeping for my second system.

So I'd end up spending more than what I've planned for.

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2007, 09:06 pm »
Yes, the T8 upgrade to the Super Pas 4i does include the phono stage.

The way to upgrade a Super Pas 4i to a new big chassis T8 with the full bore new ground plane is simple, trade it in.  Your Super Pas 4i will resell here for $300 or so depending upon condition.

You may have all your old parts back if you want them back.  Your waste can is as good as ours.  Although we may have to charge you extra for shipping them back if the old parts won't fit into the shipping carton along with the upgraded unit safely.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Zheeeem

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2007, 10:24 pm »

I've been very happy with this combination, and I don't think any upgrade can make it better. I am driving a pair of MMG with it.

I have enjoyed AVA electronics for years, upgraded several times, and even still have (and use) some 20+ year old AVA SS equipment in my HT.  Two points.  First, older AVA electronics still sound great, even by today's standards.  Second, every single AVA upgrade I've made has been a worthwhile improvement.  This probably doesn't help your decisionmaking.

If it were me, I'd upgrade speakers.  Sorry if you're one of those folks that love your MMGs.  I had a pair for a year and, well, didn't like them very much.  Bear in mind that I have owned magnepans for 30+ years, and still do.  I bought the MMGs about 2 years ago when I moved back to the US from France.  At the time I wanted all new top-of-the line AVA electronics (wired for 115V!!!), plus I needed to rebuild a pair of tympanis for the HT, and I wanted a new set of full range speakers for the main, plus I needed to remodel the house I had just moved into.  So I sold my biro L/1s and used the $$$ to upgrade electronics, buying MMGs to tide me over.  After a year I found that I had virtually stopped listening to my main system.  Oh, the MMGs are a fine $550 speaker.  But they were not even close to the performance of the $1,500 biros.  The bass is too restricted (and I could never get them to integrate well with my REL Strata) .  They are musical, but I found that the imaging was not great and the presentation was somewhat ragged.  I ended up with a pair of VMPS RM30s and am back to listening quite a lot. 

BrianM

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:36 pm »
The small box T8 is better than the Classe DR-6 I (until recently) owned, no question. That'll either mean something to you or it won't, but suffice to say the DR-6 was not exactly a cheesy product.  One may note that it also cost around $3500 new, i.e. more than 3 times as much as a new T8.  If Van Alstine says the new larger T8 is better, it assuredly is.  So you can't exactly go wrong, choosing between kickass and even more kickass.

Having auditioned the little guy (which I just took off Gongos' hands) I ordered the newer one (how could I not?) but I'm sure going to enjoy having this one around for 6 weeks (also a great way to keep listening while I await the new preamp!)...If you have the money get the new, more upgradeable T8, because in the long run what's a few hundred bucks?  (And if anyone will be wanting my small, silver face-plated one-off edition, it'll be back on sale at avahifi in a couple months.  Unless that is you want to buy from me direct and save Frank the hassle.)  If price points are critical to you, this little T8 is a preamp I could live with for years (provided my psychology was kept unaware of further upgrades of course!)

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2007, 11:03 pm »
Just recieved my OmegaStar upgrade today! I had a 10 year old Omega III EC with phono and tape buffer and decided to have Frank do the upgrade. I have only listened a few minutes, but I must say it is wonderful. I will spin some vinyl in a little while.

NO, there is no need for break-in. It sounds great right out of the box. There are no scratches or dings either.

NO, there are no fancy cables.

NO, there is no filtering add-on power conditioner.

NO, it's not for sale, go get your own.

Yes, my AVA260ex power amp loves it.

Time for some FIXX.

W

« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2007, 12:39 pm by Wayner »