2006 What a Year for VMPS and one Brian Cheney

John Casler

2006 What a Year for VMPS and one Brian Cheney
« on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:04 pm »
As I sat back to listen to the RM v60 for the first time at the show this year, I knew after the first couple of notes that this, indeed, was a special speaker.

Tall, sleek and beautiful, it stood immersed in the sea of sound it produced, as if unattached to it in any way.  Almost as an artistic tribute to the sonic transportation of a performance from one place to another.  Much like the detached monolith in 2001 Space Odyssey represented the edge of technology as it moved from one level to the next in the Stanely Kubrick film.

It was then that I began to see what a year this has been for VMPS.

I might preface this thought with perspective.  As I have posted earlier, This is Brian Cheney's 30th year in the business.  This is the time when many designers come out with a nice little improvement to their line every couple years.

Last year Brian introduced his Constant Directivity Wave Guide.  Who would expect anything more for a couple years.

Well not to let moss grow under his feet, he sets out to explore a "design" he has had in his brain for many years.  Something completely new and different from VMPS.

And so now I have in front of me this incredible new speaker model, but as I allowed my eyes to move around the room here, I realize just what a "BUSY B" we have here.

Here is what has developed in 2006:

1) A totally new design for VMPS in the RM v60

2) The new Outboard X-Over (OXO) which revamps the tweakability, and upgrade ability of the line

3) A brand new 15" MegaWoofer Driver, with 120 oz magnet

4) A brand new Sub implementing this Woofer and  2" baffle construction and designated the VSS (Very Solid Sub)

5) Another brand new sub Tower, termed the VLA (Very Large Array) standing 6' tall and having five 12" drivers forward facing (4 active and 1 PR) and a side firing 15" PR

6) A new "Piano Gloss" finish option, that takes even the MLS veneers to another level.

7) An "in-wall" version of the 626 for those with HT needs that will not allow a stand, shelf, or on-wall mount.

So while Brian made me promise not to "wax eloquently", on and on, about these things, here they are, and one can only wonder "what and where" we will "see and be", in 2007.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: 2006 What a Year for VMPS and one Brian Cheney
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:16 pm »
Well I certainly did not intend '06 to be remarkable in any way, and it seems to me the new products and upgrades to existing ones followed logically from what came before.  That's how it works sometimes.

The V60 was well received at CES, as I will report later.