OB line array with ten pair of 7x10" car speakers

tberd

OB line array with ten pair of 7x10" car speakers
« on: 13 Jan 2007, 03:11 pm »
 I ordered 10 pair of these 7x10" speakers .

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=pyle&cat1=Car%20Audio&cat2=Coaxial%20Speakers&model=PLG71.4

All for $37.46 a pair .

http://www.audio-discounters.com/plg71-4.html

One sheet of 3/4 inch marine grade plywood . Glued together for 1.5 inch thick baffle . With the bottom base they are 82" tall and 9" wide . Crossover was free because I didn't need one . All wired in series/parallel configuration for a 6 ohm load .

This was the best $400 I ever spent . Distortion is very low . Cones hardly move with ear shattering DVD movies . Sound is really full range and easy to listen to . Bass is fast and deep . On my Fi 2A3 , these put out impressive volume for a tiny SET amp . Sensitivity must be around 100db easy .

I'm still amazed when I listen to them . I visit the local hi-end shops and wonder what's going on . They have their B&W $10,000 plus speakers and electronics to match . Sound is not engaging or moving at all . It's just sound and not music like I get at home .

I wired them into my Klipsch Ultra 5.1 computer speakers . I had this wall of speakers in front of my desk . When playing Battlefield 2142 and getting hit from another players shotgun , my shirt jumps off my body . It scared the crap out of me when I got hit the first time . Talking about getting into the game . The blat blat blat from the shotgun is awesome .

tberd

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Re: OB line array with ten pair of 7x10" car speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2007, 03:20 pm »
We must have pictures aa

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2007, 04:30 pm »
Excellent results. Those things remind me of the "snake/eye" visual probe in "War of The Worlds."

Recently with the back seat down in the car, turning on our outstanding, local classical music station, suddenly the sound quality made a quantum leap forward, my brain immediately latched onto it: the seat down, made my car rear speakers open baffle all over the cabin of the car. Pioneer stock 6X9's for Honda Accord. Unbelievable sound quality. Now I read of your powering far better line array car speakers with a 2A3 amp, which was sort of what I had in mind.

This is a VERY interesting thread. Pictures are necessary, I agree.

There are some bicone, 92db Kenwood car speakers that were being touted on Full Range Driver forum awhile ago. This guy really really liked them, and they were on sale at $35 a pair. Not sure about Kenwood, or whizzer cone plastic speakers, but I trust this fellow's ears, as he was a very senior-level audio weenie, and was powering four pairs on a baffle with his home brew SET amp. The speakers in question were the Kenwood KFC-6550.... Folks, I think we have somethin' here: car speakers, arrayed on open baffle, high efficiency, ----> triode powered.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2007, 06:03 pm by Dmason »

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:30 pm »
What a quirky-assed thang. :icon_twisted:  I bet it sounds surprisingly good, congratulations on stepping across the bounds.  I, too, would like to see a photo.

Dmason, I just had the same revelation with a Honda sedan I just bought a few months ago.  Pioneer speakers too, go figure.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:58 pm »
I guess car speakers can sound good - look what these guys did with just one pair:
http://www.worldsbestloudspeakers.com/

..and I'll never forget the time I was in a stereo store and my head was literally snapped around by reflex to the sound of a pair of Advent powered 6X9s that were being demo'd in simple sealed boxes.

I wonder if anyone remembers the grand daddy of this thinking - a popular recurring article in Popular Electronics. That was the "Sweet Sixteen", a simple large sealed box, tall, wide and shallow front-to-back. Each enclosure contained 4 pairs of 4 intentionally different cheap, low power/high efficiency drivers (e.g. 4" round, 4X6, 5X7, 6X9) wired in series/parallel.
The basic idea was that the errors of each driver would be lost in the shuffle and the average would be closer to accurate. Apparently they worked very well - at least many were entertained by the notion, but I never built one.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2007, 09:22 pm »
With half the sound going inside box speakers and some degree of acoustical transparency of cone is it any wonder that no box or cancelling the sound waves would be an improvement?  Add to that the energy released from the internal pressures via the less than perfectly inert cabinet itself.

Thats why some simple boxes don't sound good and why various internally tapered designs work better.  This pheon is well known to rear loaded horn designers who can struggle/tweak with the throat portion of the design.

JiffyBoob

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2007, 09:43 pm »
What is a "pheon?"

I have not seen that term used in audio nomenclature.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2007, 09:53 am »
JB,

phe·on : noun Heraldry. a charge representing an arrowhead with widely spread barbs. 

Also called broad arrow. 

I must of meant phe·nom : noun Slang. a phenomenon: a tennis phenom. 

Glad someone is reading.

Do you ever show up without DMason?   :wink: