Difference in sound of Sig 30 vs. Sig 70?

KT

Difference in sound of Sig 30 vs. Sig 70?
« on: 12 Jan 2007, 04:49 am »
Hello,

I've been following the saga of the Sig 30 and Sig 70 with some interest and hope to purchase one some time soon.

For those who have heard both, what are the differences in sound quality between the Sig 30 and Sig 70? Of course the Sig 70 has more power and drive, but would the Sig 30 have a more refined sound as it uses a single non-paralleled output stage per channel?

My speakers are pretty efficient, so the drive issue is not my main concern. It would be most informative to hear your insights comparing both amps.

Thanks,
KT

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Difference in sound of Sig 30 vs. Sig 70?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2007, 02:37 pm »
Hi KT,

Of course the Sig 70 has more power and drive, but would the Sig 30 have a more refined sound as it uses a single non-paralleled output stage per channel?

This is actually not the case.  :wink: The paralleled-output mode of the Sig 70 does NOT add complexity to the signal path.  Instead, it uses the two output stage sections configured in parallel in order to allow for twice the output current.  There is not an extra stage of gain that the signal has to go through and no extra components in series with the signal path. 

Regarding the sound of the Signature 70s compared to the Signature 30, I briefly describe this on the Signature 70 webpage:

Compared to the Signature 30, the Signature 70s feature improved bass response, sound staging, stereo imaging, and spaciousness. You will also find the upper mid-range and top end to be a tad bit warmer. This distinctiveness is attributed to the monoblock operation… the separate power supplies, complete isolation between the channels, and the change in the output stage circuit configuration (paralleled output mode).

Hopefully others that have heard both the Signature 30 and the Signature 70s in their systems can give you their impressions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

PS: All Signature 70 parts are in stock and I am now working on the recent Sig 70 orders that I have received. :hyper: