Sub $300 headphones

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Re: Sub $300 headphones
« Reply #40 on: 11 Mar 2007, 09:24 pm »
Phil,

How do you rate comfort of the SR-80 versus SR-60?

Thanks,
Boris

mcrespo71

« Reply #41 on: 11 Mar 2007, 09:44 pm »
FYI - just for fun, I picked up a pair of Grado SR80 headphones...and for the money ($95), the sound quality is superb.  The Beyer DT880 still has a more refined sound and are FAR more comfortable, but for pure sound quality, the SR80 is pretty darn nice...

Grado's have such a strong, musical personality for headphones.  I have yet to find better headphones for hitting you with impact on rock music.  IMO, even the SR60's can eat my AKG 701's for lunch on rock music.  I love Grado's- just need to save some $$$$ for the bigger Grado's RS-1 or K1000.  These should go nice with my future wedding present- right Phil?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #42 on: 11 Mar 2007, 10:03 pm »
My understanding is that Joe Grado used as one of his primary design goals the seeking out and elimination of resonances, particularly in the diaphragm and suspension, which is why all of his designs stay clean as they're played loud, even if they are not the most accurate ultimately in terms of response linearity.

PhilNYC

« Reply #43 on: 11 Mar 2007, 10:05 pm »
Phil,

How do you rate comfort of the SR-80 versus SR-60?

Thanks,
Boris

It's been two months since I wore the SR-60, so I don't have an exact recollection, but I don't think there's much (if any) difference between the SR-60 and SR-80 in terms of how they feel (asides from the SR-60's being a little bit worn and my SR-80 being brand-new).  Both basically feel like you put a styrofoam clamp on your head... :?

PhilNYC

« Reply #44 on: 11 Mar 2007, 10:08 pm »
These should go nice with my future wedding present- right Phil?

Yep!   :D

Btw - the one bummer with owning the Grados and the Beyers is that they have very different impedences...so you can't use a y-splitter to use both headphones at the same time and have both headphones sound their best for both listeners...

SET Man

« Reply #45 on: 11 Mar 2007, 10:35 pm »
Grado's have such a strong, musical personality for headphones.  I have yet to find better headphones for hitting you with impact on rock music.  IMO, even the SR60's can eat my AKG 701's for lunch on rock music.  I love Grado's- just need to save some $$$$ for the bigger Grado's RS-1 or K1000.  These should go nice with my future wedding present- right Phil?

Hey!

Yup, that is why I have been using my Grado SR60 since 1996  8)

I'm also lusting over the Grado RS-1 and of cause the new GS1000 at $995! :o

Phil.... did you try the SR80 on the Cayin second tap (33-64ohm) in stead of the first tap? I remember that it sounded a bit better to me when I tried at Jan Rave.

The SR60 came standard with a basic foam pad. But I bought the bigger donut foam for my SR60 and the sound improved a bit. I think the donut foam come standard with SR80 model and up. :D

As for comfy factor..... all Grado headphones are not that great :? So, if a light and comfy are your priority than you might want to look else where. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

weirdo

« Reply #46 on: 12 Mar 2007, 04:25 pm »
I recommend the SR 60 for different reasons. It is a tremendous budget headphone but exactly how often are you going to use them and for how long at each sitting. Just an evaluation you might want to make before jumping in. I used to love headphones but now I can't stand wearing them for any more than the occasional hour or so maybe once every couple of weeks. Your headphone use might taper off, making a large initial investment questionable. Just my thoughts. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #47 on: 12 Mar 2007, 04:29 pm »
I recommend the SR 60 for different reasons. It is a tremendous budget headphone but exactly how often are you going to use them and for how long at each sitting. Just an evaluation you might want to make before jumping in. I used to love headphones but now I can't stand wearing them for any more than the occasional hour or so maybe once every couple of weeks. Your headphone use might taper off, making a large initial investment questionable. Just my thoughts. 

Maybe you can't stand wearing them because the SR-60's are so uncomfortable...?  :scratch:

For me, I find that I use the Beyers more than I thought I would because they are so comfotable... 8)

mcrespo71

« Reply #48 on: 12 Mar 2007, 06:06 pm »

For some reason, I don't find Grado's as uncomfortable as some.  That said, for $70, the SR60s are probably the smartest investment for someone interested in headphones (no headamp required).  I used them like crazy when I had them because I could hook them up to my PCDP or Ipod.

Michael

ctviggen

« Reply #49 on: 12 Mar 2007, 06:50 pm »
I wear my SR60s for about 6-8 hours a day, 5-7 workdays per week.

BradJudy

« Reply #50 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:03 pm »
I thought I'd mention that I decided to change up my headphone situation, so I sold my HD-600s and SR-225s and bought a pair of DT880s (I'll probably pick up a new pair of IEMs too - Westones or UEs).

I really like the DT880s - very detailed, good tone, very comfortable.  I haven't even hooked them up to my better amp yet. 

BTW: I owned SR-80s before the SR-225s and I agree that the 80s are a great entry into high-end sound.  Under $100, don't require an amp to sound good and they have a good uniqueness factor (as viewed from the general population). 

donor

« Reply #51 on: 25 Apr 2007, 09:19 am »
I recommend researching the Ultrasone PROLine 750's, you can find them for around $300 online, and they seem to fit what your looking for.

gooberdude

« Reply #52 on: 25 Apr 2007, 02:17 pm »
I think i might try the Ultrasone ProLine 750's...Mu shielding for our brain?   sounds good to me...