"Love"-George Martin & Son redo Beatles

lcrim

"Love"-George Martin & Son redo Beatles
« on: 11 Jan 2007, 06:10 pm »
I did do a search before posting this and didn't find anything so-
In case you've been out of touch, G.M.& Son, have put together 26 Beatles titles for a Cirque de Soleil production.  They did quite a great deal more than cut and paste.  Their work certainly changed my perception of many of the songs I grew up with.  I hope many of you get an opportunity to hear it.  I have read many reactions to it, both favorable and damning, but anything that draws as strong reactions must be doing something right.  I read on the Asylum that there will be a vinyl version too. 
First time through, I was very positively moved.  The next time I listened to it I thought that my tubes needed replacing because of the heightened distortion.  The tubes were alright but maybe I was in a different state of mind than previously.
What's your reaction?

PhilNYC

Re: "Love"-George Martin & Son redo Beatles
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2007, 07:22 pm »
I had recently seen a Cirque de Soliel performance ("La Nouba") a week before I got ahold of this CD, so with fresh positive impressions from the show, I found myself really enjoying the music from "Love".  Right from the opening, I felt that it even had a bit of a flavor of quirkiness reminiscient of the Yellow Submarine animated film, and the production and overall presentation was very much what I thought the Beatles would have produced had they been recording these songs in the 1990's or early 2000's.

Nothing will ever take the place of the original recordings, but "Love" breathes some energy into the music...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2007, 07:35 pm »
To me it is a very fun experience, but frankly only worthwhile in full 5.1 hirez surround.  It's not a disc I consistently go back to, or is in heavy rotation.  The 5.1 mix and fidelity, however, is very very good and it holds promise for a well-done (read:NOT Beatles "1" no-noised to death) remastering/remix of the catalog in hirez (mono/stereo/5.1) someday.  There are threads on Hoffman forum that we've beat this thing to death on (1000+ posts).

My fave tracks, especially in 5.1 are Revolution, I am The Walrus and Come Together.  The mash-ups are fun, but a bit over-the-top unless seen in person in the Cirque show.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2007, 08:04 pm »
I don't like the Love album very much.  Parts of the songs sound like the return of Phil Spector and then the mash ups are annoying- at least to me.  Absolutely superflous IMO.

Thump553

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2007, 02:38 pm »
I found "Love" more interesting than I thought it would be, but I doubt it is something I would listen to more than a few times.

Yesterday's newspaper had an article about an (unauthorized?) mix album of Beatles songs called "Hate."  It's an anti-war album apparently.  Here's the link:

http://www.thebeatleshate.com/index_eng.html

The torrent link on that page is broken, but I was able to download Hate as flac files by doing a google search for the torrent.

yeldarb

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2007, 06:57 pm »
I like it, for the most part.  Some of the complete songs actually have a bass line, now, and seem edgier and more lively than the original releases.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2007, 03:13 pm »
  Their work certainly changed my perception of many of the songs I grew up with. 

I've been meaning to post to this thread for a while. I finally picked up this disc a few monthes ago. I was floored. I grew up during the initial release of all of these songs. As much as I enjoyed them then, its positively a revelation now. The clarity, detail, soundstage, dynamics and fidelity are such that it leads me to believe that ALL the releases on CD have been 2nd and 3rd generation mixes of the originals. The emotion and thrust of the performances are such that my opinion of the artistry of the fab four is even higher, which I didn't think was possible, because they are my favorite band of all time. Its obvious that this was the first time the ORIGINAL MASTERS were used for any subsequent production. I would pay silly money to have the complete studio recordings mixed from the original masters in the same way this disc was put together. In a word......unbelievable! While I enjoyed the creative mixing of various songs put together in the mashups, it pales in comparision to the recreation of the original mixes. Pardon the gushing from a Beatles fan from back in the day. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2007, 03:32 pm »
Agreed.  I'm not sure what I would pay for a hirez stereo release of their master tapes at this quality level (24/96).  It would be a significant portion of my audio budget, and likely also be justified based on medicinal, lifestyle, investment, family, societal importance!!   :thumb:

And throw in a 5.1 mix for the heck of it...but 2 channel hirez EMI Beatles catalog...wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, back to reality..... :cry:

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2007, 04:56 pm »
My 10 year old daughter, who is a devout Beatles fan, doesn't like this album. She says it messes with perfection.

I think it's a novelty, but not something I will be listening to all the time.

Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2007, 05:22 pm »
My 10 year old daughter, who is a devout Beatles fan, doesn't like this album. She says it messes with perfection.

I think it's a novelty, but not something I will be listening to all the time.

Bob

Yes, it is a novelty, and a great 5.1 demo.  But it's sooooo well done (as a novelty) and so revealing that it begs the wishing and hoping.

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2007, 05:25 pm »
I really like it.  Got it on CD, DVD-a and LP....

Probably my favorite is the DVD-a version, but they
are all very good.  Not hearing any of that distortion
you are talking about though.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2007, 05:31 pm »
I didn't hear the distortion, either.

I was amazed in fact by just how good the original tracks must have been.

The string sound really surprised me.

Philistine

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2007, 08:46 pm »
I too was bought up on the originals playing on the radio when I was in short pants, what was around before The Beatles was pretty dire.
What has to be remembered is that the driver and context behind this release is a stage show, also it has full support of the surviving Beatles and the families of George and John.  I approached it with caution, but was completely bowled over with the sound quality of the original tapes and the imaginative re-mixes - I also think the 5.1 mix is incredible. 
Also I've heard no distortion on the CD or DVD - just clear sweet music.

My favorite - Revolution.

Danberg

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2007, 10:11 pm »
My initial interest in music started with the Beatles ... which in turn lead to my interest into audio equipment that actually sounded like live music (rock).  I like others, was completely blown away with the Beatles music when growing up.  Yes they have a fond place in my musical heart.

I agree the "sonics" of "Love" is fantastic. Having never heard any "original masters" from a recording studio, I am not sure if that is what makes the recording sound so good.  But, it sure sounds clean, no tape hiss or background noise to obscure the instruments.  Obviously no "pops" or "crackles" that LP's originally had.

I wonder if the clean sound was from adjusting the tonal characteristics of each track through an equalizer, or because the sound was taken from "original masters?"  What happened to the background tape hiss that I still can detect listening to on my original Beatles LP's?

Anyway, the music has never sounded more enjoyable and better in my opinion!  The quality of their original work really shines through with this new mix.

I'd also like to have all their original songs sound as pristine (including an actual bass line) as in this recording.  Put me on that list of being willing to pay "silly money" also!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2007, 10:35 pm »
I also think the 5.1 mix is incredible. 
Also I've heard no distortion on the CD or DVD - just clear sweet music.

My favorite - Revolution.

:hyper:  Mine too!!  I think the guitars are tremendous; the best the song has sounded.  In fact, I like all the group of songs they left virtually intact: Day In the Life, I am The Walrus, but Revolution is my fave of this collection.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2007, 11:03 pm »
Don't care for the mash-ups at all but really enjoy the "intact" songs. My favorite is the demo for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". It sounds like George is in the room with you.

Man, I hope I live long enough to get the whole INTACT Beatles catalog in high res from the best masters available.

dmckean

« Reply #16 on: 4 Nov 2007, 05:05 am »
My favorite was Back In the USSR, Paul's bass playing is incredible on that track.

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2007, 08:03 pm »
It sounds great, especially the DVD-A surround mix, BUT I'd rather listen to the original albums.  IMO, most of those songs cannot be "improved" in any way. 

After 70 minutes or so it got kinda draining too. 

ohenry

« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2007, 10:47 pm »
It sounds great, especially the DVD-A surround mix, BUT I'd rather listen to the original albums.  IMO, most of those songs cannot be "improved" in any way. 

After 70 minutes or so it got kinda draining too. 

I got the vinyl format a few weeks ago and it does sound great.  Besides analog magic, the vinyl offers it up into four sides so it's easier the ration the soundtrack.  I, too, found it a little difficult to endure the whole CD at once, but it was even more difficult to find a good intermission.  :)

It makes me want to find decent copies of the originals... just another addition to the wish list. :duh:

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2007, 10:59 pm »
I didn't hear the distortion, either.

I was amazed in fact by just how good the original tracks must have been.

The string sound really surprised me.

First time through (on the CD in 2 channel), I was so-so impressed.

Upon reading this thread, I revisited the first 5-7 cuts and was so draw in I could hardly press "stop" to answer the phone.

As far as "distortion" if you are talking about the first couple cuts, George dubbed in some backround ambiance noise tracks of various kinds, which to some might sound noisy.  "could that be it?"