sub hook-up?

cporada

sub hook-up?
« on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:12 pm »
After considering my previous post on using attenuators, a possible solution ocurred to me, but I wanted others opinions regarding the best way to hook-up a powered sub.  What is the difference between using the RCA level inputs on the plate amp of a powered sub and the speaker level inputs as far as sound quality, demands on main amp, etc., go?  I know on the Mapleshade website, they extoll the virtues of using the speaker level inputs, saying that this is the only way to achieve seamless integration with the main speakers.  If one uses the speaker level inputs, the volume and crossover dials and phase dials all still function on the plate amp, right (I have a setero pair of DIY subs that use the Parts Express 300-794 plate amps)?  Can Mike or anyone here who has "sub experience" comment on what the differences would be between the two inputs on the sub amp (I will still be running my main speakers full range directly from my power amp, not using the speaker out jacks on the sub amp).
Thanks so much
Chris

Mike Dzurko

Re: sub hook-up?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:38 pm »
With our subs, the speaker level adapter is a simple resistive device to raise the load from 10K to 24K ohms. It simply functions to reduce the level. I believe this is the case with most powered subs. The RCA inputs should be used if driving via. Line level outputs and the adapters should be used if driving from the amplifier terminals. IMO differences in sound quality are very slight to non-existent. Other sub designs of course could be different.

I’d be more concerned about possible overlap between the subs and the main speakers if running the main speakers full-range.