ALPHA LS's to be delivered 1/11 (Thursday)!

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
ALPHA LS's to be delivered 1/11 (Thursday)!
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:00 pm »
I am excited, I have been wanting a pair of these since I heard them at Gary Dodds  four years ago YAHOOOooOOoOoooooooooo :violin: :guitar: :drums: :rock: :bowdown: :hyper: :banana piano: :beer:
I think that should do it.  Stay tuned

mgalusha

Re: ALPHA LS's to be delivered 1/11 (Thursday)!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:11 pm »
Just say a prayer to the shipping gods that the shipper doesn't kill them. They are beautiful speakers.

playntheblues

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:13 pm »
Now don't go and jinks them Mike  Geeeeeeeeeees  Mums the word!  Mike a BIG thanks  :beer: to you.  Thank you very much for putting turk and I together on this cheers.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2007, 11:34 pm by playntheblues »

playntheblues

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2007, 12:13 pm »
Today is the day 2pm - 5pm CST :drool:

jonwb

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2007, 02:51 pm »
You're going to love them!!!   :thumb:

They are great speakers, which (IMHO) really shine w/ the right gear.  Specifically the right amplification.  When you have things setup right the sound is tight, fast, powerful and (literally) limitless.   :drool:

Enjoy!

PS:  lift w/ your legs!  :lol:

playntheblues

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2007, 03:56 pm »
Thanks jonwb, The gear I have is  Dodd Battery/tube pre, Audio Logic 34 MXL DAC, SB II fully modded and I am not quite settled in on my amp yet.  I have a Spectron Musician II if that amp sounds good  I will upgrade to the Musician III SE.  I also have an older Moscode 300 which is a fine amp and we will see how that sounds with them as well.  What has been your favorite amp with your Alphas?
All the best, Guy

jonwb

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2007, 06:18 am »
I've tried more that a few amps w/ my Alphas.  Some of the earlier ones I described in this post:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=14628.msg126514#msg126514

Myself and fellow AC'er audiojerry also hooked up a pair of NuForce amps (Reference 8's I believe).  They didn't have the "juice" for the Alphas.  Mids & Highs were good, but no balls. 

Since then I purchased a used set of Audire Noble II monoblocks.  They are 200W each.  They sound pretty good, but honestly they are not as good a match w/ the Alphas as was the AKSA 100N+.  I'd say they are 90% of the AKSA w/ the biggest difference being the AKSA's stronger control of the woofer array.  In retrospect, I probably should have just waited until I saved enough money to build one of those AKSA amps.  I have performed some mods to my Nobles which helped a bit; and I have one more thing I want to try yet.  (On that note I recently (temporarily) replaced one of the Nobles w/ one of my IRD MB-100's, so I could work on it.  Result, huge reduction in bass from the side running w/ the MB-100 (and that thing has a pretty hefty power supply.))

Sounds like you have very nice electronics.  Perhaps you'll be loving the sound right out of the gate.  There certainly is a LOT of potential w/ the Alphas.  My recommendation would be to do whatever you can to sample any amp you may consider.

Best of luck and enjoy!

playntheblues

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2007, 01:41 pm »
The Alphas are in the house   :bowdown:    Jerry (turk) did a great job of finding someone to crate the speakers for shipment, these speakers were packed as well as anything I have seen in the past, very good job of crating.  Jerry is a hell of a good guy to work with, absolutely tops.  Each speaker got one bruise from shipping but can easily be touched up. 

I put about 5 hours on them last night and they are wonderful.  My room is 16w x 28L,  Equipment is mentioned above, I don't have the placement right yet but we will get there over the next couple of days.  The Wife loves them, and can't believe how clear (her words) they are. 

As audiophiles we all talk about prat, transparency, sibilance, room suck out, dynamics, eff. bandwidth, etc.  but when ever a non audiophile comes over and hears my system or yours their comments are always cut way back to the basics like....these speakers are clear or it doesn't hurt your ears to turn them up loud. 

I am having a small listening party on Saturday and will post more than.  One last parting thought, these speakers are a lot of FUN :rock:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2007, 01:48 pm »
Congrats Guy!!!

I heard these speakers at Jerry's house a few years ago and they are indeed quite good.

Try to take some pics and enjoy the new setup.

George

playntheblues

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2007, 03:05 pm »
Hey Rob, lucky for you I have lost your phone number when my hard drive crashed about a year ago.  I do appreciate all the help over the years in componet selection :thumb:  I like Gary's amps alot and consider him a friend.  He only lives about 15 minutes away from me and the new 120's are very nice but just like buying Alphas instead of the new version I try to keep the audio budget with in reason (if you can consider a 12k system reasonable  :lol:)  and at $5,500.00 a pair it leaves a lot of other options on the used market that are world class.

Turk

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2007, 03:13 pm »
Guy,

Glad you are enjoying the speakers!  They have transparency in spades.  Did you rap their cabinet for fun?  They are dead.  Danny had MLS build the cabinets and then I added more MDF window braces.  I believe the absence of resonance adds to the clarity.

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2007, 03:15 pm »
Turk - so what's next in your system after these?  Tom

Turk

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2007, 05:07 pm »
I have been using a mildly modded pair of Meadowlark Blue Heron 2s.  They fit the new house we bought. They sound pretty good and althoughthey are no longer made, use Scan Speak drivers that are readily available so service is not an issue and I can replace any X/O parts myself.   

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2007, 05:10 pm »
Very nice.  I just saw a pair of those go up on a'gon the other day for the first time in a long while.  I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

jonwb

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2007, 05:53 pm »
Hey Rob, lucky for you I have lost your phone number when my hard drive crashed about a year ago.  I do appreciate all the help over the years in componet selection :thumb:  I like Gary's amps alot and consider him a friend.  He only lives about 15 minutes away from me and the new 120's are very nice but just like buying Alphas instead of the new version I try to keep the audio budget with in reason (if you can consider a 12k system reasonable  :lol:)  and at $5,500.00 a pair it leaves a lot of other options on the used market that are world class.

Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on Gary's super-duper 120W monoblock sale from last year... Sure I didn't have the money, but should have looked harder to find some  :?

playntheblues

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2007, 10:04 pm »
Rob, those sold new for between $1,800 and $2,200.  I saw those earlier but the price is not realistic.

TomS

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2007, 10:54 pm »
Wow, that price is pretty lofty for an original pair, but they are certainly very good amps.

If you REALLY have a burnin' need for OTL's, I have a pair of Joule VZN100 OTL's in Musicwood cases I might part with aa

Unfortunately I'm not in your back yard but I DO have a brother in Plano.

Tom

playntheblues

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2007, 12:14 am »
Thanks Tom,  I need to hear a pair with the Alphas before I can commit.  I hope you understand.

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2007, 01:51 am »
This is my only long term experience with OTL's so I don't know about some of the other ones out there like Transcendent or AtmaSphere.  Warning - if the midrange on those is anything like these Joules, you'll quickly be drawn into their web, so prepare to write them a check. 

Enjoy those Alpha LS's and tell us about them when you're settled in with them. 

Gotta be sweet!