has anyone heard the in-the-ear Stax SR 001s?

Russell Dawkins

has anyone heard the in-the-ear Stax SR 001s?
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 10:55 pm »
I just found out about these a couple of months ago and was curious:
http://www.yamasinc.com/sr-001mk2.htm

randytsuch

Re: has anyone heard the in-the-ear Stax SR 001s?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2007, 08:00 pm »
I have them, but actually don't use them much.  I like my AKG 1000's more, which are my main cans.  And, they don't isolate well, so I have a set of superfi 5 pro's for my portable rig.

I also modded my amp, used blackgates for the input coupling caps, which improved their high frequency performance.

Randy

Nic

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2007, 12:54 am »
I've just sold a pair of the SR-001MK2.  Loved them but had problems with them so I got a pair of etmotics instead.

Nic

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2007, 04:00 am »
I have a pair of Etymotic ER4Ss and a apir of AKG K1000s. I would be interested in knowing how you would compare the sound of the SR-001 to these, Randy and Nic.
What sort of problems did you have with them Nic?

Nic

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2007, 02:16 pm »
I have a pair of Etymotic ER4Ss and a apir of AKG K1000s. I would be interested in knowing how you would compare the sound of the SR-001 to these, Randy and Nic.

HI

I had no problems with the sound at all.  I own a set of Stax Omega’s and the little Sr-001s really do give you a glimpse of the magic that is Stax.

The only problem I had with them as because I was using them on my bike.  Because of this it was hard to maintain the seal around the speaker and any difference in pressure in front or behind the speaker resulted in a harsh nasty buzzing sound it only last for a second but because I was on my bike it was happening a lot.  This is what happens (it even happens on the big omega headphones) and Stax say it is completely normal and I have owned 4 sets of Stax and it has happened with all of them.

So I got rid of them because I couldn’t justify keeping them and they weren’t fit for purpose.

Compared to the ER4s that I have the Stax beats them in all but one point and that is the shear volume that you can get with the ER4’s which I love.  The Er4s do have better bass extension

Don’t get me wrong the ER4s are more than capable at producing a very good sound (rhythm and timing especially) it’s just that the Stax have a sound that I love.

Nic

randytsuch

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2007, 03:12 pm »

Hi Russell,
The SR001's were for my portable system, and the K1000's are obviously for a different system.  I never listened to them with the same front end, so can't really compare, I used the 001's with a Rio Karma. 

I do like the sound the the 001's, but I bought them mostly for travel.  Then, I got a pair of superfi 3 pro's.  The 001's sound better than the superfi's, but the superfi's have much better isolation, for on a plane, and I could not see carrying both of them around on trips.

I will see if I can find some cables to hook up the 001's to my main system.

Randy

phowell1

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:04 am »
I own the sr 001 for the home system (Complete with amp , Srmh I think.)

I love the sound of them, but hate the feeling of them in my ears. Also, I need something that isolates better, so I will be selling mine.

atb